Who writes newsletters for their leagues? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who writes newsletters for their leagues?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who writes newsletters for their leagues?

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:04 pm

I write the "Rag" for my league every week. I'm curious what content other people put in their Rags.

I have these sections:

Conference Standings
Stat of the Week
Finances breakdown
Recap of this week's games
Preview of next week's games
Weekly Award

For the mid-season Rag I'm giving teams report cards. I've traditionally graded teams on these categories:

Best Win
Worst Loss
Best Move
Worst Move
Top Performer
Biggest Bust
Overall Grade
Second Half Outlook

If you were reading a Rag outlining your first half, what statistics on your team would you like to see?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Dude » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:14 pm

You're much more organized than I am... i write the weekly round up for my league, but its generally just whatever the heck I feel like writing about.

I have a few newbs in my league, so I try to help them out by pointing out really big obvious things like "hey, your player just got injured for the year" and stuff like that. There's also a fair amount of puns and trash talking.

Last week, I included a rant about Bill Belichick and why must he hate fantasy footballers.

After I went 0-4 this year, I announced in my newsletter than I had fired myself as coach of my team and that my cat was taking over... the team is 3-0 since I made the switch, so that's an ongoing joke.

Mostly, I just try to be funny... for the most part, its a big hit.

Dude

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby ChoneJohn » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:30 pm

I write a "Weekly WrapUp" for our league, and it basically runs down the last week's matchups and standings. Obviously, it's just an excuse to rip on other owners and point out there problems/tactics, but I know that the rest of the league totally enjoys it. I normally submit the WrapUp on Tuesday evenings, and if I'm ever late it's a guarantee that I'll find one or two emails complaining about its absence. I point out big performances by individual players, but I try to limit it to the actual team performances by setting up these categories:

Game of the Week (best game - could be between two heavyweights)

Game of the Weak (worst game - two bottom feeders who may score a total of 100 points between them).

Rest of the Week - the games with "less impact."

Frankly, I think it's a blast to do...it kinda lets out my little, inner Bill Simmons, if you will.
ChoneJohn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:51 pm

I'm looking for any other creative ideas out there. Anyone else?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:27 pm

You have the basics covered, but a weekly preview of upcoming games and your take on future player performances from a subjective point of view might be interesting. Not free agents of course, but guys teams as a whole. I used to give an injury report and pretty much what you have and everyone was happy, but they really underappreciated the effort so I have since given up.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ball of goof » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:48 pm

hey, you guys are impressive. when i learned years ago that most owners in my league were unaware of the ff players still alive and the points needed for wins of various ff games during monday night football, i started a 'monday night set' to alert everyone. this evolved into what i thought were rather humorously sarcastic descriptions of that sunday's ff games with emphasis on the more important match-ups in terms of league standing.

most owners enjoyed the post, and i enjoyed writing it; but it took a lot of effort and began to take too much time. when i skipped it one week i got a ridiculous demand by an owner to get it done on time. when i reacted negatively to this another owner complained that i wasn't being professional. ha, as if i were getting paid. anyway, i quit that regular feature; that lack of appreciation thing i guess. another owner has tried to revive the idea, but it pales. i just post whatever whenever these days.

dude, i love the story of your cat taking over your team. that's great.
ball of goof
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk