Question for the beer-meisters - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Question for the beer-meisters

Moderator: Football Moderators

Question for the beer-meisters

Postby TTTBone » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:05 pm

Okay, I had some errands to run after work today (pet store, super market, dry cleaners), and as a big old thank you to myself, I made one last stop at the liquor store.
Here's the deal, Grolsch was on sale for $6.99 a twelve pack. :-o ;-D
So, yeah, I immediately grabbed a twelver. I mean, that's like the price of Milwaukee's Best Light or some other comparable crap.
Now, I'm sitting here sipping one thinking, "Jeeez, you should've picked up a few cases."

Question is:
Is it okay for me to go back tomorrow and buy like 5-10 cases and store them? I'll never find a price like that again for such a quality beer. This is Grolsch in 330ml cans, not the bottled stuff.

So, the beer at the store is refrigerated. Is it okay for me to buy some quantity and store it warm (in the basement), and if so, for how long? Any loss in quality or taste?

I likes me some Grolsch!
Lots of it for cheap is bestest of all. ;-D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Question for the beer-meisters

Postby Dazedncnfz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm

TTTBone wrote:Question is:
Is it okay for me to go back tomorrow and buy like 5-10 cases and store them? I'll never find a price like that again for such a quality beer. This is Grolsch in 330ml cans, not the bottled stuff.

So, the beer at the store is refrigerated. Is it okay for me to buy some quantity and store it warm (in the basement), and if so, for how long? Any loss in quality or taste?

AHHH!! Never ever ever ever store beer in a warm place after it's been refrigerated. That is what will cause it to skunk. If you buy it cold you have to keep it cold. ;-D

As far as going back and buying more...nothing wrong with that, just keep it cold!

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:27 pm

Dazedncnfz wrote:

AHHH!! Never ever ever ever store beer in a warm place after it's been refrigerated. That is what will cause it to skunk. If you buy it cold you have to keep it cold. ;-D

As far as going back and buying more...nothing wrong with that, just keep it cold!

Thanks Dazey!
I thought I had heard before there was some problem with the refrigeration thing.
I guess I'll have to check it out tomorrow and talk to the store owner.
If they have it unrefrigerated (ever), I may just have to stock up at $6.99 a twelve pack, otherwise, I can fit two cases in my bar fridge; and the Miller High Life and the little lady's nasty wine cooler's will just have to go.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby moonhead » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:45 pm

grolsch is skunky enough. no need to skunk it up more. :-D

how warm is your basement this time of year?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Tiki » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:24 pm

If I could go into a liquor store I would most definatly go back! That's a good find man. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:37 pm

What was said earlier about cold-warm-cold is definitely true. Also, you do not want to store beer in any format for longer than a few weeks - beer does not get better with age, hence many companies added a "Born On" date sticker for their beers a couple years back...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:52 pm

Well then maybe it's time to take the money you saved with the great price for it and buy a bigger fridge. :-D

But yeah man, if it's cold...keep it cold. ;-D
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:16 pm

TTTBone wrote:
Dazedncnfz wrote:
TTTBone wrote:I can fit two cases in my bar fridge; and the Miller High Life and the little lady's nasty wine cooler's will just have to go.

Never and i repeat NEVER remove the high life from a fridge, its really the only beer to have. haha
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:13 am

It's gonna have to be properly disposed of (AKA poured down your gullet) within a month or it was a waste of money. Sure, it will still be drinkable, but then so is Miller High Life. It doesn't mean you actually WANT to drink it. Great price on a great beer, but it just can't be stored. Maybe have a football party and buy for that?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:39 am

$6.99 for a 12 pack??

Where do you live - I'm taking the afternoon off and going for a drive.

Dazedncnfz wrote:

This is true. Solution = beer fridge.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk