Off The Radar - Week 8 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Off The Radar - Week 8

Moderator: Football Moderators

Off The Radar - Week 8

Postby Challie » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:54 pm

Just cause I get bored between Sundays, I'll toss out some deeeep sleepers, so deep you need a bathysphere to find em. These are desperation-only plays that should be available in just about every league where I've got some reason to believe in em.

If 2 or 3 of these actually do something, it's saying something.

QB:

Kelly Holcomb BUF vs. NE this is the 2nd best of this bunch. The Pats are 24th against the past and have looked worse without Harrison. On the converse, Holcomb looks actually competant. He's got 5 TDs vs 2 INTs in 3 games while playing the Jets and Mia. I like his chances for a scrap-heap emergency start.

Chris Simms TB vs. SF if he doesn't have good numbers here, then there's not much to be said for him. The 49er defense, and secondary in particular, are a shambles. They've got a running game which requires attention, if Simms is even serviceable, he should be 225/2/0.

RB:

William Green CLE vs. HOU the Texans have given up 10 Rush TDs this season and the most yards per game in the NFL. They've yielded rushing TDs to Jared Payton and Maurice Morris. Backup RBs have a way of seeing action against the Texans. Whether the #1 back is tired from running down the field 7 yards at a time and gets vultured or if the Texans are trailing by 20+ late, this is a deep crazed sleeper which just might work. Of course, you'd have to be in desperate straits and couldn't score any starting RB to think about this.

Marion Barber DAL vs. ARI - if you know how to speak Parcells, then he's telling you in code to start this guy if you're desperate. The writing is on the way for JJ to sit out this pre-bye week, and he almost paid Barber a compliment in his press conference (almost). He's getting 25 carries and a good chance to grab 100 yards. If nothing else, Bill will love to make Tyson Thompson and Anthony Thomas stew on the bench. If he's available, I think he's plenty startable over other starters like KJ, Jamal Lewis, certainly Shipp or Fisher.

WR:

Mike Williams DET vs. CHI - I liked him last week and for the same reasons. Garcia is an NFL QB and the Lions don't have anyone else healthy. Could be very trusted as a WR3.

Eric Parker SD vs KC - Quite simply, KCs pass defense is shoddy and Parker was getting some great looks and making some great plays last week. You need to be in a deep league to need him, but he could pay off.

TE:

Alex Smith TB vs SF - You can already see the "which Alex Smith" headlines already. For every reason to like Simms above, it also applies that Simms would feel comfortable on check down routes and hit the TE. Pretty decent play on a bye week, unless your league is asleep with Troupe or somebody on the waiver wire.

David Martin GB vs CIN - The Bengals have only given up 6 passing TDs this season, but 2 have been to non-household names at TE. Unless you think the Packers won't manage 14 points while down by 30, then Favre's got to throw to somebody, right? Gets a lot of redzone looks.

Just food for thought on a football-less Wednesday.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pete123444 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:00 pm

I'll put my sleeper for the week in here too.

Andre Johnson WR. 140 and 2 TD's in a breakout game for him. Houston wins their first this week!

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Rush » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:24 pm

Travis Henry - 90 Total Yards and a Td. Decent numbers for first game back.
The Rush
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby giants! » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:27 pm

Challie, overall it is decent but in any 2 qb league simms and holcomb are long gone. barber is also long gone. I dont agree with the green pick but understand the reasoning behind it. Also, Williams has a tough matchup but does have a decnt connection with Garcia.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Off The Radar - Week 8

Postby purestrength » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:36 pm

Challie wrote:Eric Parker SD vs KC - Quite simply, KCs pass defense is shoddy and Parker was getting some great looks and making some great plays last week. You need to be in a deep league to need him, but he could pay off.

Didn't Parker go catchless last Sunday?

I'm wondering if Parker is losing more and more of his looks to Caldwell.
purestrength
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jjigglers » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:38 pm

giants! wrote:Challie, overall it is decent but in any 2 qb league simms and holcomb are long gone. barber is also long gone. I dont agree with the green pick but understand the reasoning behind it. Also, Williams has a tough matchup but does have a decnt connection with Garcia.

Not many leagues are 2QB.
jjigglers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby matmat » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:08 pm

jjigglers wrote:

more than you think. also a lot of 12-14 team leagues are effectively 2QB leagues anyway.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jjigglers » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:05 pm

matmat wrote:
jjigglers wrote:

more than you think. also a lot of 12-14 team leagues are effectively 2QB leagues anyway.

How is a league "effectively" a 2QB league? It seems like it either is, or it isnt.
jjigglers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby matmat » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:17 am

jjigglers wrote:
matmat wrote:
jjigglers wrote:

How is a league "effectively" a 2QB league? It seems like it either is, or it isnt.

pretty much everyone is going to have a backup and a starter. that makes 24-28 quarterbacks taken. now suppose your starte is hurt and backup on a bye or something, the WW pickings are going to be about as slim as in a smaller 2QB league... clear enough?
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Paladyr » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:36 am

*Most* leagues are 10 teams, 1QB. All advice given on this forum should reflect that if not otherwise stated. It's up to the people who choose to play in leagues where you start 2 QBs (which I think is retarded) to modify the advice and apply it to your own situation.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk