Interesting Stuff - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Interesting Stuff

Moderator: Football Moderators

Interesting Stuff

Postby machine3 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:19 pm

I always like reading old NFL draft analyses to see which ones were way off. This quote was from CNN/SI's 1998 mock draft: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... mmock.html

15. SEAHAWKS—Randy Moss, WR, Marshall

Finally a place for this 6'4", 200-pounder, who ran a 4.31 40 in a private workout. Dennis Erickson fancies the passing game and he feels that this gifted athlete could really light it up for him. Personally, I'm not so sure. Actually, I'm really sure—that Moss will be a bust—but I'm too polite to say it. I have yet to see him do one tough thing on the field.

From the same site, listing the top 5 at each position:
Wide receivers
1. Kevin Dyson, Utah. Big (6-foot-1, 199 pounds) and speedy (4.46), and showed good, disciplined route-running ability in his seven-catch Senior Bowl game.

2. Jacquez Green, Florida. A little guy, but all he does is make big plays.

3. Germane Crowell, Virginia. Impressive size (6'3", 210), untapped potential. A developmental project.

4. Marcus Nash, Tennessee. Peyton Manning's go-to guy. Fine hands, excellent athletic ability.

5. Joe Jurevicius, Penn State. Huge (6-foot-5, 231 pounds) wideout who might go inside in the NFL. No blazer (4.62), but interesting because of his size.

Note: If you're looking for Marshall's all-world Randy Moss, you won't find him in this list, even if it went 20 deep. Will get downfield in a hurry if they give him room, but he'll get buried by NFL-style bump and run.

There were also glowing about Ryan Leaf, who we all remember was rated neck and neck with Peyton.
machine3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pete123444 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:36 pm

haha , just a little off i'd say.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby xboxer89 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:58 pm

Jacquez Green it a straight up STUD. Randy Who? Pretty cool stuff though. :-b
xboxer89
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby machine3 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:25 pm

What ever happened to Marcus Nash? The 4 others on the top-5 list at least had okay careers, but I don't remember hearing anything about Nash.
machine3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby logan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:40 pm

machine3 wrote:What ever happened to Marcus Nash? The 4 others on the top-5 list at least had okay careers, but I don't remember hearing anything about Nash.

Nash will begin his fourth AFL season in 2006 and his third with Las Vegas. Nash has caught more passes, gained more receiving yards, scored more touchdowns and more points than anyone else in the AFL over the last two years.

http://lvgladiators.com/team/players/?id=673
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Popcynical » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:42 pm

Hah, that was a good call with Randy Moss...
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:54 pm

Seems to me that they were just going with the prevailing theory of "bad friends, bad player." The talent was there, and everyone knew it. When people started to question his possible "head-case" nature, they dropped him down. I really doubt that it had anything to do with ability. Moss had the size, speed, and hands to be better than all of those guys ahead of him, and he obviously has done that.

Sure, he may take plays off during the game, but he's there to make the big plays and help his team win games. The media chose to focus more on his personal life. :-B
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:59 pm

Kinda sad what happened to Andre Wadsworth...epitome of talent gone to waste due to injuries. :-t
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:12 am

warrick95 wrote:Kinda sad what happened to Andre Wadsworth...epitome of talent gone to waste due to injuries. :-t

Yeah, who?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Atog » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:15 am

you've got me addicted to looking at these past mock drafts...I like this one from 2000-

Pittsburgh Steelers 6-10
Chad Pennington QB Marshall Steelers think Pennington can push Stewart right away.

from 2001-
Detroit Lions

Quentin Jammer, CB, Texas
Unlike many of the teams drafting this early, year-to-year, Detroit is not really run by a GM that is utterly incompetent. They continued the "high picks for an OL" thing that the previous regime had going, and it failed like it did for every other team (namely my Saints, but also others) who tried it. That's why they are drafting here. They need a running back and two new cornerbacks. As no RB should be taken anywhere near this spot this year, Jammer is the man.
Last edited by Atog on Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk