Stallworth Stinks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Stallworth Stinks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stallworth Stinks

Postby benjapage » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:05 am

or does he? now 7 weeks into this season, his performance puts him amidst kennison, ferguson, branch, and others whom are never at the raw end of the beating stick.

i am only curious (not defending) why the man is getting so much criticism in here.

he has been chronically injured in previous years, and has had a couple bad games this year. however, he's had a several more really good games that have obviously countered for the bad ones. his points scored currently puts him at 21st among wr in my league (fairly standard scoring). so what's up with this?

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 797
Joined: 26 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:21 am

He was considered one of the hottest young WRs in the league in his rookie yr - then the injuries started piling on. My guess is that there were a lot of FFball players that were burned by him the last couple years, and when that happens, the player gets more abuse than he probably should get.

Eventually this kid is gonna be a FFB staple when Horn is gone.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:47 am

i think the main things that gets him knocks is like CBM said his injuries and the fact that he has been inconsistent at best over his career.as far as him this year there are plenty questions surounding him and the saints as a whole.

once horn is healthy again and with the reemergence of hakim being a player how many balls will be going his way?

can he stay healthy enough to do something when the ball comes his way?

can brooks have some kind of consistency down the stretch to make stallworth valuable? they play some very tough games in the second half.

will smith/stecker keep defenses honest enough to make the passing game effective?

all valid and very important questions that remain to be answered.
Image
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7273
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 4 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:24 am

He has never had a single year where he put up impressive numbers in any form of consistency. If he would put up even a 3-4 game stretch where he looks good, I might lay off him, but it's rare he can even string 2 games together with a decent showing. He is frequently overshadowed by lesser WR's on his own team, and when Horn is in the game he virtually disappears even though he gets single coverage on the defenses worst CB. He only proves my Ricky Williams theory: if you give it to them enough times, the end result will look good. Deeper probing shows how bad he can be, though. I'm not just a guy that has been burned by this guy once. It was more times than I wish to share. This guy has burned people every single year he has been in the league, and if you were unlucky enough to draft him, you wasted a spot on potential talent elsewhere. :-°

Boy this guy just gets me the wrong way. Sorry if it sounded as if I was yelling at someone, I just really can't display my emotions through a keyboard without them being taken the wrong way.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4887
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Who?

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:32 am

From the Pigskin Addiction Draft Guide:

"Where to start with this guy? Rubber-band hamstrings, hamster IQ, incredible spped and boat loads of unfulfilled potential. How long should we wait for that "breakout" campaign?"
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5971
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Illadelph

Postby Paladyr » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:04 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:He has never had a single year where he put up impressive numbers in any form of consistency. If he would put up even a 3-4 game stretch where he looks good, I might lay off him, but it's rare he can even string 2 games together with a decent showing. He is frequently overshadowed by lesser WR's on his own team, and when Horn is in the game he virtually disappears even though he gets single coverage on the defenses worst CB. He only proves my Ricky Williams theory: if you give it to them enough times, the end result will look good. Deeper probing shows how bad he can be, though. I'm not just a guy that has been burned by this guy once. It was more times than I wish to share. This guy has burned people every single year he has been in the league, and if you were unlucky enough to draft him, you wasted a spot on potential talent elsewhere. :-°

Boy this guy just gets me the wrong way. Sorry if it sounded as if I was yelling at someone, I just really can't display my emotions through a keyboard without them being taken the wrong way.


Bingo.

He only had me fooled one year... never again!
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2454
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: wallowing in my own crapulence

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:35 pm

He scored a TD in each of the first 4 games of his NFL career before he was injured. He then came back and scored 4 more TDs in the last 8 games that yr.

He was injured pretty much all of 2003.

He was injured in week 4 last yr.

He is a boom or bust player, with tons of potential - which is why he was a high 1st rd draft pick in 2002.

If he stays healthy (huge if - dont get me wrong), he could be an absolute monster fantasy WR as he has a knack for the endzone. He is in the same catagory as Chambers, Lelie, and the Mosss - WRs that stretch the defense deep with their speed and jumping ability. He will never be a possession WR. If Horn hangs it up, Dont be suprised to see Stallworth being drafted as a top 15 fantasy WR the following yr.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby danleroi22 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:36 pm

In the league I am in he is viewed as a curse... for the last 3 years the person who had him on the roster has finsihed either 7th or 8th (8 team league) overall.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4846
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: SO CLOSE to "da hall" (Cambridge, MA)

Postby benjapage » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:49 pm

danleroi22 wrote:In the league I am in he is viewed as a curse... for the last 3 years the person who had him on the roster has finsihed either 7th or 8th (8 team league) overall.


i have him in one of my leagues (1st place). he's hurt me once, and actually helped me several times. that's not my point--which is that he's not nearly as bad as some people paint him. whether he's as good as cornbread says, i don't know...but the numbers indicate he's at least a decent option.

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 797
Joined: 26 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stallworth Stinks

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:59 pm

benjapage wrote:or does he? now 7 weeks into this season, his performance puts him amidst kennison, ferguson, branch, and others whom are never at the raw end of the beating stick.

i am only curious (not defending) why the man is getting so much criticism in here.

he has been chronically injured in previous years, and has had a couple bad games this year. however, he's had a several more really good games that have obviously countered for the bad ones. his points scored currently puts him at 21st among wr in my league (fairly standard scoring). so what's up with this?

b



Because most of us play in head-to-head leagues, and in head-to-head leagues consistency is the name of the game.... Let's consider two receivers, both of whom have 260 yards and 3 TD's through 4 games....

Game Log - Player A:

Week 1: 60 yards, 1 TD
Week 2: 100 yards, 0 TD
Week 3: 40 yards, 1 TD
Week 4: 60 yards, 1 TD


Game Log - Player B:

Week 1: 20 yards, 0 TD
Week 2: 180 yards, 3 TD
Week 3: 40 yards, 0 TD
Week 4: 20 yards, 0 TD


Now, these guys have identical totals for the year, but Player A is a good number 2 WR, and Player B is an unstartable pile of garbage.... Why? Consistency... In head-to-head leagues it does you no good to have a guy who puts up 40 fantasy points one week, and 2 for the next 3 weeks running.... It's far better to have a guy who puts up 10 each and every week....


That's why Stallworth sucks.... Because he's totally boom or bust.... ZERO consistency.....
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 19:22 hours
(and 44 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact