Stallworth Stinks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Stallworth Stinks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:08 pm

benjapage wrote:
danleroi22 wrote:In the league I am in he is viewed as a curse... for the last 3 years the person who had him on the roster has finsihed either 7th or 8th (8 team league) overall.

i have him in one of my leagues (1st place). he's hurt me once, and actually helped me several times. that's not my point--which is that he's not nearly as bad as some people paint him. whether he's as good as cornbread says, i don't know...but the numbers indicate he's at least a decent option.

b

The numbers indicate he's the most inconsistent WR ever.

Last year, he'd throw a 120 yard game next to a 1 catch 15 yard game.

An 11 yard game, then a 122 yard game..followed by a 20 yard game.

The only reason he has any value is that Joe Horn has been injured.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby benjapage » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:15 pm

but plindsey, i would define "suck" as scoring very few points.

i understand your position. the guy is not consistent--he put up a goose-egg twice this season. but the other weeks, he's managed to put up 4, 14, 12, 14, and 9. pretty decent. he's not somebody that will anchor your team, but as a #3, you could do worse.

keyshawn has put up 3 or less three times. rod smith, hines ward, and marvin harrison twice. then there's eric moulds. i know, these guys have their previous years to bolster their approval ratings. but you can't use last year's points to help you win this year. right?

lelie has twice put up just one point...and without any of the big games to off-set: 6, 7, 6, 8, and 6. bennett and coles have also been inconsistent. these are guys that don't get bashed around here--and yet have been just as inconsistent as stallworth.

just trying to pull the frame out to get a wider perspective.

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:16 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
benjapage wrote:
danleroi22 wrote:In the league I am in he is viewed as a curse... for the last 3 years the person who had him on the roster has finsihed either 7th or 8th (8 team league) overall.

i have him in one of my leagues (1st place). he's hurt me once, and actually helped me several times. that's not my point--which is that he's not nearly as bad as some people paint him. whether he's as good as cornbread says, i don't know...but the numbers indicate he's at least a decent option.

b

The numbers indicate he's the most inconsistent WR ever.

bh, most wrs are inconsistent.

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:20 pm

benjapage wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:The numbers indicate he's the most inconsistent WR ever.

bh, most wrs are inconsistent.

b

Why are you trying so hard to convince us?

If you feel Stallworth is good, start him. If you do not, then don't start him.

We've already explained why the guy sucks.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:23 pm

benjapage wrote:but plindsey, i would define "suck" as scoring very few points.

i understand your position. the guy is not consistent--he put up a goose-egg twice this season. but the other weeks, he's managed to put up 4, 14, 12, 14, and 9. pretty decent. he's not somebody that will anchor your team, but as a #3, you could do worse.

keyshawn has put up 3 or less three times. rod smith, hines ward, and marvin harrison twice. then there's eric moulds. i know, these guys have their previous years to bolster their approval ratings. but you can't use last year's points to help you win this year. right?

lelie has twice put up just one point...and without any of the big games to off-set: 6, 7, 6, 8, and 6. bennett and coles have also been inconsistent. these are guys that don't get bashed around here--and yet have been just as inconsistent as stallworth.

just trying to pull the frame out to get a wider perspective.

b

Is this the first year you've owned him? Cause you've gotten lucky in the fact that Horn has been hurt.... But over the past several years, he's been one of the most frustrating players in fantasy football... 20 points one week, and 2 points for the following 2 weeks... It has been the story of his career.... If I were you I would trade him before Horn gets healthy again, because I can almost guarantee you he falls back into that pattern.... He ALWAYS does....

And total points only measures success in leagues that award championships based on total points... In leagues where you have to go head to head, consistency is what you're looking for in a player.... Total points are nice, and you need those, too... But give me a guy who scores 10 points for 16 weeks over a guy who scores 25 here and zero there any day.... Even if the latter ends up with a higher point total....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:32 pm

The story of his career?

He's 24 years old.

I mean, the same arguments against Stallworth could have been applide to Santana Moss prior to this yr: tons of potential but he's always injured - and even still, look at his consistancy.

Look - Im not a Stallworth fan by any means, but one thing I am good at is spotting trends in player values. Due to his disapointing first few yrs in the league after flashing signs of brilliance, fantasy owners have soured on him. This in turn has created a situation where he is probably slightly undervalued right now - thats all.

Also - if it werent for his injuries who knows where he would be in his development right now. As you all know injuries are one of the worst things to bet on/against in fantasy - so like I said once this kid puts his injury history behind him, he could take off.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby benjapage » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:50 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:The story of his career?

He's 24 years old.

I mean, the same arguments against Stallworth could have been applide to Santana Moss prior to this yr: tons of potential but he's always injured - and even still, look at his consistancy.

Look - Im not a Stallworth fan by any means, but one thing I am good at is spotting trends in player values. Due to his disapointing first few yrs in the league after flashing signs of brilliance, fantasy owners have soured on him. This in turn has created a situation where he is probably slightly undervalued right now - thats all.

Also - if it werent for his injuries who knows where he would be in his development right now. As you all know injuries are one of the worst things to bet on/against in fantasy - so like I said once this kid puts his injury history behind him, he could take off.

word to all of that.

edit: again, i'm not trying to convince. i was trying to understand if inconsistency was the principal reason his value continues to be so low. i understand, now. what's more, i'm unsure if i will be starting him this week. he's helped me in a couple spot starts, and if he continues to deliver, i may plug him into a few more match-ups. this isn't a campaign on my part.

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Tyr » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:03 am

I picked up Stallworth in the first round of my supplemental draft. I start him every three games or so to fill in for a bye, or when my third string receiver has a tough matchup. While most people may be giving him the old school haterade, he's been a more than worthy receiver for a filler or late round pickup.

He has consistently scored 3+ points in every game I've played him so far. While 30 yards isn't a big deal, it has tipped the scale in my favor on more than one occasion. I'm not trying to convince people that he's gold -- his inconsistency will cause me to never consider him as a reliable every week starter -- however he DOES have worth on any team that's lacking depth at WR or a Slot position.
Tyr
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:13 am

Yea Stallworth has some bad games, <3, but he has played well in every other game.

Scoring system: 1 pt = rec, 1 pt = 15 yards, 6pt = 1 TD

Week 1 - 4 rec 47yards = 7
Week 2 - 8 rec 141 yards = 17
Week 3 - 0 rec 0 yards = 0
Week 4 - 8 rec 129 yards = 16
Week 5 - 1 rec 6 yards = 1
Week 6 - 7 rec 83 yards 1 TD = 18
Week 7 - 4 rec 53 yards 1 TD = 13

So what Im trying to get to you is he is a good #2, and great #3. But all of you are missing the real reason he does so poorly some games, MR. AARON BROOKS. He is the definition of Inconsistency. AB has a tendency to lock onto one player through periods of games, thats why Saints WRs are typically boom or busts every week. It basically comes down to what side of the bed AB wakes up on.

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Donte Stallworth=100 yards GUARANTEED

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:29 am

This week against MIA back at the LSU stadium. You heard it here first. Nuff Said.

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk