Football Etiquette - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Football Etiquette

Moderator: Football Moderators

Football Etiquette

Postby ktown » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:28 am

I'd like to hear the Cafe's thoughts on how they'd handle this situation.

I've been working on a deal to get Peyton Manning for almost a month now and finally agreeed to a deal on Monday. I get Peyton and Muhsin, he gets Westbrook, Collins and AnSmith. It's a little lopsided, but we were both happy and hoped it didn't get vetoed.

Well, it does get vetoed. I posted a message to find out why and re-offer the deal. I want it to go through. Turns out it was only vetoed by Commish by accident (wanted to vote for veto, not veto). The majority felt the trade was fine, so I wait for him to accept it.

Only the next time I look at my team, the original deal isn't around anymore and I've been offered Peyton for Barlow and Smith. I jump on this one because it's a great deal for me.

A few of the guys have now taken ripped him apart for making such a lopsided deal. They won't veto stupidity, so it should go through. Only now the guy is calling for this to be cancelled and a return to the original deal.

My sense of sportsmanship says that I should go back to the original deal and honour the trade I agreed to. However, I'm the one who offered that choice. If he wanted to enforce the first trade, I'd have said he was well within his rights. No one forced him to send me a different deal.

I've been playing with these same guys for a few years now and plan on continuing for a few more. They're a good group and I don't want to be known for breaking deals. What's the best way to handle this?

Thanks
ktown
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:47 am

First off, the commissioner should have fixed the rosters as soon as he realized he accidentally vetoed the trade. There's no reason to have to re-do the trade in the first place.

As for the second deal, if the guy had gotten away with a steal and you had been screwed how would you feel about it? I would assume you would want the original trade back again. If it's a good group I would simply go back, although I'm the first to admit that would be a tough thing to want to do since the second trade is extremely lopsided in your favor.

-M
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:55 am

If the commish just made a mistake, I think the right thing to do would be to allow the original deal to go through as it would have without that error.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:59 am

It is a little unclear how all these things actually happened.

But on most websites I've seen, you can offer a trade and if you have second thoughts, you can revoke it as long as you do it before it is accepted.

As long as the guy offered the second trade in an official way and let it stand there for you to accept. ... why should he have the right to retract it?

He had the chance to take it back before you accepted. I would be interested to know how much time elapsed between his second offer and your acceptance...
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ChoneJohn » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:06 am

I tend to agree with the majority...go back to the original deal. You still come out ahead, IMO.
ChoneJohn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby danleroi22 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:56 am

ChoneJohn wrote:I tend to agree with the majority...go back to the original deal. You still come out ahead, IMO.

I agree as well... do the original deal.

Man, so many FF players don't realize how tough each season is on the commishes.

These kinds of things happen all the time and it's the commish's job to deal with it.... I hate that fact... because if people just played by the rule and followed good etiquette, we wouldn't be dealing with half this stuff.

I think in the name of good sportsmanship, do the original deal.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ktown » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:32 pm

Thanks guys. I told him we could re-do the original deal and he decided to stand by the second deal he offered.

We both want to do the right thing, so the deal will stand.

Plus, he needs the deal to go through for this week or his starting RBs will be Benson and Faulk. Kinda why he needed the deal to start.
ktown
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kilroy » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:10 pm

ktown wrote:Thanks guys. I told him we could re-do the original deal and he decided to stand by the second deal he offered.

We both want to do the right thing, so the deal will stand.

Plus, he needs the deal to go through for this week or his starting RBs will be Benson and Faulk. Kinda why he needed the deal to start.

It's cool that you both were willing to do the honorable thing (from your individual perspectives.) Glad it worked out OK.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Football Talk