FLEX...good or bad? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

FLEX...good or bad?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kilroy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:46 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I guess one reason Im against it is that I dont see the need to incorporate flexibility and I disagree with the theory that it increases strategy.

I like having set positions because that IMO is the ultimate in maximizing strategy. You cant fudge a position and make up for it as easily when you must start a RB or WR or TE.

My sentiments exactly, Especially since a lot of "flex" leagues pretty much eliminate the TE spot altogether.

BTW, If Flint is the 2nd Most Dangerous City in America (which I Fully believe having been there several times,) who topped the charts? Just Curious.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:52 am

Matthias wrote:i'm completely the other way. in the league i setup, we have 2 rb's, 3 wr's, and a flex. which i like because in a 12-team league, not everybody is going to have a 3rd startable rb. or a really great 3rd startable wr, for that matter. so it forces hard decisions in drafting and trading. it gets to the point where maybe you start a chris perry (it's been done in this league) or you look around and the best wr available is cedric wilson. i mean, really, anyone can luck into a winning starting lineup in a 8-team, 2-rb, 2-wr, no flex league.

basically, i'm all for creating real player scarcity without making it completely impossible to field a team. and so for that, the flex position is a nice compromise.

Wow, that may just be the first time I agree with a Matthias post...

I too am in a 12-team league that starts 2RB, 3WR and a Flex and it makes for some much more interesting football IMO - especially when the Bye weeks hit...

BTW Matt - we have a guy who has started Perry all 7 weeks in his flex ;-D
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:46 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:BTW, If Flint is the 2nd Most Dangerous City in America (which I Fully believe having been there several times,) who topped the charts? Just Curious.

Im pretty sure it was St. Louis actually. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

The study was based on violent crime per capita.

The day after the report was published there were 4 more murders in Flint, so it just goes to show we arent settling for second place. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:53 am

BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:11 am

Here is the data produced by the FBI
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses ... le_06.html

Sorry for the thread hijack too. ;-)
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cooner » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:18 am

Matthias wrote:
basically, i'm all for creating real player scarcity without making it completely impossible to field a team. and so for that, the flex position is a nice compromise.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. I play in a league of high school friends, and there are 8 of us. We've tried to add two more in the past, but it's more fun when the whole league is full of people we all grew up with- the smack talk gets personal and dirty, the message board is 100s of posts long already, and the winner buys everyone a beer or two over Christmas with the winnings.

When we first started the league, it got a little silly, because if your starting RB broke a leg, no problem, there were 6-7 starting RBs still on the WW. No talent required. We've since expanded-

2x QB, 2x RB, 3x WR, 2x flex, 1x TE,K,Def, 4x IDP

with a healthy sized bench, making the league a LOT thinner and promoting trade, a solid draft ALL the way through the draft, and a lot more fun. We give 1/2 pt per reception, which doesn't quite offset the difference between RBs and WRs, but it's pretty tough to field 4 healthy RBs who will score as well as a WR who gets 50 yards and a TD.
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PSU All Day » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:11 pm

We started as a fixed position league 1 Qb 2 RB 2 Wr 1 Te 1 D 1 K.

last year we were flex 1 qb 2RB 2WR 1WR/RB/TE 1D 1K

This year we are flex 1QB 2RB 2WR 1WR/RB/TE 1TE 1D 1K

10 person league.

I like the fixed best after playing all three. There are very very few trades this year and last year as if you have 3 solid RB's you are lucky. If you have 4 you don't want to give up one to someone else because the #4 RB won't get you enough of an upgrade over the WR's you already have.

I am lucky, I have 5 starting RB's right now (ok 4 and K Barlow). I could upgrade my #2 WR but no one is going to give me enough of an upgrade over K Curtis for S Davis or W Parker.

The flex does make good drafting an even bigger priority especially at RB. The teams doing well in my league drafted well. The teams doing poorly drafted poorly or were hit really hard with injuries.

It will be interesting seeing what happens next year in this league.
"There are Lies, Big Lies, and then Statistics"

"Value Based Drafting is your friend!"
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Matthias » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:36 pm

lmcjaho wrote:Wow, that may just be the first time I agree with a Matthias post...

don't worry. there's a support group help line i can message to you before you get too crazy and agree with me a second time. ;-)
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk