NFL says Saints may go to LA... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL says Saints may go to LA...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby UNDEFEATED » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:40 pm

NO. I do not want the Saints owner to be my owner in LA.

Being a Los Angeleno, i would hate to have cheap owner. Ala LA Dodgers.

Please stay away from here. :-t
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:51 pm

ampant wrote:Honestly though, how can LA not have a football team? It's 2nd largest market in the nation. If NO isn't a viable option anymore, it should go there. (I wonder if the team will keep it's name, . . . Saints in the city of Angels).

It sucks for New Orleans not to have football, but not as much as it sucks being underwater with no local economy.

Just having a huge market doesn't mean a whole lot if no one cares about the team. LA had not one, but two franchises leave. I don't see how things would be any different with the Saints. At least the people of NO (God Love 'Em) actually care about that franchise. In LA they'd be, what, the 6th most popular team in town? (assuming they get more love than the Clippers.)

This whole thing just sucks. Shows what loyalty gets ya as an NFL fan though. I hope NO does get to keep the Saints name and history, but I don't know that they'd ever get a new team to run out there. Still, if this it how it's gonna be, the Saints name should die. The "Los Angeles Saints" makes me wanna hurl. (Not to mention it just sounds oxymoronic).

As Mike Ditka once said about an NFL Owner who screwed over a city filled with loyal fans...A Pox on you Tom Benson, and all your House.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Re: NFL says Saints may go to LA...

Postby Warhawk » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:14 am

Homeless wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051027/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/saints_los_angeles

WASHINGTON - The Washington Post reports the NFL will consider relocating the Saints to Los Angeles if New Orleans is unable to recover from Hurricane Katrina.

The newspaper cites three sources familiar with the league's deliberation on the matter.

The Saints have been based in San Antonio since they were forced out of the Crescent City by the damaging August hurricane.

But the sources say the league has no interest in the Texas city as a permanent home for the club.

Los Angeles is the second-largest television market in the country and has been without an NFL team since the Raiders moved back to Oakland after the 1994 season

Cant say im surprised, but I feel for the City of NO.

Key Words: if New Orleans is unable to recover from Hurricane Katrina.

I'm all for keeping the Saints in NO, but on the condition that there's an NO for them to be playing in.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: NFL says Saints may go to LA...

Postby moochman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:23 pm

Warhawk wrote:Key Words: if New Orleans is unable to recover from Hurricane Katrina.

I'm all for keeping the Saints in NO, but on the condition that there's an NO for them to be playing in.

They have a lot more important things to repair than a football stadium. The retarts in the NFL are using Benson's rep as an owner who wants to leave NO to try and place a team in a marketplace they have long coveted.

Unless they build a new stadium for the team in LA, there is no point to this. As Weasie pointed out, this would be the third try after two miserable failures. And that was with franchises that were more desireable than the Saints.

Q: What is it they call doing the same thing in the same way over and over and expecting different results?
A: Insanity.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby danleroi22 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:37 pm

I'd personally like to see them in San Antonio.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:45 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
ampant wrote:Honestly though, how can LA not have a football team? It's 2nd largest market in the nation. If NO isn't a viable option anymore, it should go there. (I wonder if the team will keep it's name, . . . Saints in the city of Angels).

It sucks for New Orleans not to have football, but not as much as it sucks being underwater with no local economy.

Just having a huge market doesn't mean a whole lot if no one cares about the team. LA had not one, but two franchises leave. I don't see how things would be any different with the Saints. At least the people of NO (God Love 'Em) actually care about that franchise. In LA they'd be, what, the 6th most popular team in town? (assuming they get more love than the Clippers.)

This whole thing just sucks. Shows what loyalty gets ya as an NFL fan though. I hope NO does get to keep the Saints name and history, but I don't know that they'd ever get a new team to run out there. Still, if this it how it's gonna be, the Saints name should die. The "Los Angeles Saints" makes me wanna hurl. (Not to mention it just sounds oxymoronic).

As Mike Ditka once said about an NFL Owner who screwed over a city filled with loyal fans...A Pox on you Tom Benson, and all your House.

I was listening to a radio show in LA and the topic was attendance.

Chicago White Sox attendance in '05 regular season. 2.2 million. Middle Market baseball team competing with the Cubs.

Guess what the Crappy LA Dodgers attendance was....????

3.3 million at the gate. Easily one of the least competitive owners in the league. No names on the squad. But the draw is still huge. How can you justify this. Yes the dodgers have a following. But the team sucks.

Clippers are/were consistently among the top 10 in NBA Revenue. Why is that? Not because the team is competitive? Because they haven't been. They typically don't have any stars. Becuz they are consistently trading them away. Not to mention the Lakers are in the same town/building. But they still make mad loot.

My point is....The LA Market is tremendous. No matter the number of pro, semi-pro, college teams there are. People will watch. LA is so diverse. We have something for everyone.

IF YOU BUILD IT...THEY WILL COME.

I am not a Saints Fan. But if you put them in LA. I am there. I am loyal to the NFL and the Raiders.

BTW the LA Coliseum.*spelling* is a piece of crap. High School bleachers are better than the seating at the Coliseum. No Joke. A section of the seating is still bleachers. No way a Pro team can sell tickets to put fans over there.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:11 pm

jayday wrote:or are you saying to change the name....like let new orleans keep the name 'saints'...

Yea. I'm saying the name "Saints" stays in New Orleans.
Just like the name "Browns" stayed in Cleveland.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:15 pm

Anyone remember when the NBA New Orleans Jazz relocated to Utah?
Friggin' UTAH?
Is there a LESS Jazz-like state in all of America than UTAH?

The "Saints Go Marchin' In".
And they don't march in San Antonio or LA.
They march in Na Orlans.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby nola » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:23 am

UNDEFEATED wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:
ampant wrote:
IF YOU BUILD IT...THEY WILL COME.

Saints 2000-2004 average attendance: 65,499. Low of 62,788 in 2000. *2003 season set team attendance record.

Raiders average, 1990-1994 (last 5 seasons in LA): 56,264. Low of 49,885 in 1993.

Rams average, 1990-1994 (last 5 seasons in LA): 50,206. Low of 42,312 in 1994.

So you are wrong. LA doesn't show up for games. And its "If you build it, HE will come." Not 'they.' And no, 'they' wont.
nola
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk