Underrated Players - All 32 Teams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Underrated Players - All 32 Teams

Moderator: Football Moderators

Underrated Players - All 32 Teams

Postby Warhawk » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:30 am

I worked on a list of players I thought either were underrated or didn't get enough attention for each NFL team. Enjoy.

Baltimore: Most of them are overrated, but I guess I'll say Derrick Mason, he doesn't get the credit he deserves as a talented WR because of where he plays.

Buffalo: Kelly Holcomb is a good leader who never really gets a chance, and Lee Evans I think is talented and could get much better.

Cincy: Is TJ Housh still underrated, or are they rating him high enough now? He's a beast, especially as a #2.

Cleveland: Reuben Droughns. 0 TDs is what happens when you play for Cleveland. He's good, though, just in a bad bad place right now.

Denver: Everyone was hating on Tatum Bell for a while there, but i guess folks are starting to come around. The value on Ashley Lelie has dropped so much that I think he's likely to surpise some poor team sometime soon.

Houston: David Carr is NOT the problem. Morlon Greenwood looks good on D - not many others though.

Indy: No one on offense can legitimately be called 'underrated' - maybe with the exception of some of the linemen. I would say Bob Sanders (the boy can hit!) except now that folks realize that he is very good, my pick is Nick Harper, who is consistantly underappreciated as a CB, a tough position, where he is a solid defender.

Jacksonville: LB Mike Peterson, who just lost a couple of really expensive cars in a garage fire (ouch!)

Kansas City: Jared Allen. Helluva DE. 5 of their D-Lines 8 sacks have been his.

Miami: I like how Marty Booker plays, he's also averaging almost 18 ypc. Hard to say Zach Thomas is underrated, but I think he is - he doesn't get nearly enough publicity compared to Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher. Kevin Carter is one half of one of the best DE pairings in the game, along with Jason Taylor.

New England: Deion Branch is a good WR who is overshadowed by his QB. Daniel Graham doesn't get enough credit either.

New York Jets: Justin McCareins lives in Coles' shadow, but only has 20 less receiving yards with just over half the catches - his ypc is 19. FS Erik Coleman has talent.

Oakland: The focus on the D-line is Warren Sapp, but Derrek Burgess has 2 sacks in each of his last 3 games, making 7 on the year. Light for a DE, he's 8 pounds under Freeney and an inch taller.

Pittsburgh: Troy Polamalu is a beast, 3 sacks from the SS position. Their entire defense is a sack machine, both LOLBs have 3, and Joey Porter has 4 at ROLB. Funny how their defense is mostly no-names (at least outside of pittsburgh - I live in PA, btw). Good no-games.

San Diego: Surprise, surprise, McCardell isn't too old to play football. Apparently he's not too old to imitate T.O. as well. Aside from their good pair of ILBs, not much to say on defense. Terrence Kiel isn't bad at SS.

Tennessee: Breakout season for Kyle Vanden Bosch. Travis LaBoy has a future.

Arizona: Josh McCown is 9-10 as a starter for Arizona since his first start in late 2003. All other starters in 2003-2005 are 3-16. Coincidence? Give this kid a chance and he'll be a solid QB for a long time. Finally this year he has the weapons to do it in Fitz and Boldin.

Atlanta: Of course Dunn deserves more credit for the Falcons success than he gets, and I daresay more than vick gets too. Their D-Line gets sacks.

Carolina: Mike Rucker is outperforming Peppers right now. Everyone gets credit for that rush defense, though.

Chicago: Mushin Muhammad really deserves to have a better QB throwing to him... Lance Briggs looks good at LOLB next to Urlacher. Nathan Vasher has 3 picks.

Dallas: Keyshawn gets the press, Glenn gets the ball - fourth in yards, almost 19 ypc, and not enough folks are sticking him up there with Moss, Moss, Owens and co. On the defensive side, I love Dat Nguwen. Maybe it's his name.

Detroit: Not much to say. Their CBs are beasts when they're on. McQuarters is behind Bly on the depth chart, and they have 6 combined interceptions (2 and 4 respectively). Bly will be out for a couple of weeks now.

Green Bay: I like Antonio Chatman - with Walker out this year he's getting more looks. Nick Barnett is a solid MLB.

Minnesota: I'll skip all the tempting jokes and say that Marcus Robinson is a solid WR. Not much to say on the subject of the defense though.

New York Giants: Tiki Barber never gets his due. Osi Umenyiora is a nice complement at DE to his well-known counterpart Strahan.

Philly: Excepting the game against Dallas, Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown have done well at CB... L.J. Smith is an underrated TE these days.

San Francisco: Unfortunately Bryant Young is one of the few quality players on D for this team... Kevan Barlow is a solid RB. I can't wait to see Dorsey play.

Seattle: Every unknown reciever has been able to step up for this team... Jurevicius looks especially good filling in. Tatapu is fun to watch at LB.

St. Louis: Steven Jackson is good when he gets the ball, which didn't happen much under Martz. Jimmy Kennedy is solid.

Tampa Bay: Joey Galloway: Another good WR who doesn't get much attention. Hard to call any part of their defense underrated - everyone knows they're good. Brian Kelly has 3 picks.

Washington: Cornelius Griffin is a good DT. Ladell Betts looks like one of the best #2 RBs around these days.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:38 am

San Francisco: Unfortunately Bryant Young is one of the
few quality players on D for this team

Uhhhh Julian Peterson maybe?
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Warhawk » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:41 am

lmcjaho wrote:

"One of the few". There's a couple others. I was singling out a few players here.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: Underrated Players - All 32 Teams

Postby Cooner » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:34 am

Warhawk wrote:Pittsburgh: Troy Polamalu is a beast, 3 sacks from the SS position. Their entire defense is a sack machine, both LOLBs have 3, and Joey Porter has 4 at ROLB. Funny how their defense is mostly no-names (at least outside of pittsburgh - I live in PA, btw). Good no-games.

Hmm.... Polamalu, Ike Taylor (extremely underrated), Chris Hope (extremely underrated), Willie Williams (or Townsend if he's healthy)- neither is that good,

then we've got Porter (I don't think he's underrated though...), Farrior (a bit underrated, but maybe not so much so after last year's exploits), Foote (solid run guy), and... erm... oh! Harrison (eh, I like Clark Haggans a bit better...).

Kimo is very underrated, Casey Hampton is one of the best NT in the league and underrated and... uh oh... I have no clue who the other DE is. But almost all DEs are underrated, since they get almost no stats but eat up holes and linemen making the LBs jobs much easier.

I don't know if I'd agree that their defense is mostly no-names- Farrior made a big name for himself last season on big plays (though he didn't even end up a starter at teh beginning of this year...), Palamalu is pretty well-known as a big hitter at least. Porter is definitely pretty well-known methinks.
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Atog » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:01 am

For Detroit's underrated players, I'd throw in Jason Hanson, Nick Harris, Cory Schlesinger, Earl Holmes, and (this season) Kalimba Edwards.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:04 am

who's Jason Hanson? :-?

:-b
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Teh Jury » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:19 am

Where are the Saints? :-?
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cooner » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:36 am

Teh Jury wrote:Where are the Saints? :-?

in Los Angeles?
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:09 pm

lmcjaho wrote:

Underrated? Tony Parrish.
9er Fan