Underrated Players - All 32 Teams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Underrated Players - All 32 Teams

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Warhawk » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:01 pm

I have no idea what happened to NO, I'm sure I looked at them... This was all at 4 in the morning so I guess I may have some questionable decisions in here... eep... :-D
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:02 pm

Way to give Bob Sanders some love. ;-D I've liked him a ton since he's been healthy. He missed some valueable time last year with injuries, but looks really strong in the defensive backfield now that he's healthy. Good call, man. ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Underrated Players - All 32 Teams

Postby The Lung » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:06 pm

Warhawk wrote:Pittsburgh: Troy Polamalu is a beast, 3 sacks from the SS position. Their entire defense is a sack machine, both LOLBs have 3, and Joey Porter has 4 at ROLB. Funny how their defense is mostly no-names (at least outside of pittsburgh - I live in PA, btw).

I find that funny, too. It seems natural to me that players like Casey Hampton, Kimo Von Oelhoffen, Troy Polamalu, James Farrior, Larry Foote, James Harrison, Chris Hope, Ike Taylor, and Ricardo Colclough would be household names. But apparently they are not. ;-)
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Warhawk » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:52 pm

The Lung wrote:
Warhawk wrote:Pittsburgh: Troy Polamalu is a beast, 3 sacks from the SS position. Their entire defense is a sack machine, both LOLBs have 3, and Joey Porter has 4 at ROLB. Funny how their defense is mostly no-names (at least outside of pittsburgh - I live in PA, btw).

I find that funny, too. It seems natural to me that players like Casey Hampton, Kimo Von Oelhoffen, Troy Polamalu, James Farrior, Larry Foote, James Harrison, Chris Hope, Ike Taylor, and Ricardo Colclough would be household names. But apparently they are not. ;-)

With the exception of Farrior and now Polamalu, they really aren't, except for their fans and folks in Pitt. My home is in CT, and most of these guys I'd never heard of, but I now go to college in PA and there's a good bit more pittsburgh fans around who actualy know the guys on the defense.

And don't mistake me saying that they aren't famous for saying that they aren't good, they're great, especially considering that they don't have anyone who is nationally considered as a superstar like a ray lewis or a zach thomas.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby aerodan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:19 pm

I love Polamalu. My gf is a Steelers fan and I've seen all their games this year. He is alll over the field making plays. On offense, I'd say Ward is still underrated. This guy has been so consistent... hes mostly known as a great blocking receiver, but he has become a go to receiver and I'd say definately about the 6-8th best in the league.

I'd say the most underrated guy for the Ravens is Randy Hymes. He has made some really good catches and I think could be a really good #2 receiver if the Ravens had any kind of QB whatsoever
aerodan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Manja » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Dallas: Keyshawn gets the press, Glenn gets the ball - fourth in yards, almost 19 ypc, and not enough folks are sticking him up there with Moss, Moss, Owens and co. On the defensive side, I love Dat Nguwen. Maybe it's his name.

Eh.. spelled Dat Nguyen wrong, and he isn't really underrated..
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby warrick95 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:44 pm

Great writeup. I hope you don't mind if I add in some of my comments in addition to the ones you wrote.

Warhawk wrote:I worked on a list of players I thought either were underrated or didn't get enough attention for each NFL team. Enjoy.

Baltimore: Most of them are overrated, but I guess I'll say Derrick Mason, he doesn't get the credit he deserves as a talented WR because of where he plays.
Mason gets a load of love from what I hear...I think Will Demps and Kelly Gregg are underrated. Well for Gregg, he would've done better in last year's scheme...so he was really underrated last year. Gregg was a top NT in the 3-4...

Buffalo: Kelly Holcomb is a good leader who never really gets a chance, and Lee Evans I think is talented and could get much better.
Holcomb is average...sure a good leader, but physically, he's very average. I think London Fletcher is underrated because he plays next to Takeo Spikes (or played next to this year). Aaron Schobel is a good pass rusher although he's a liability vs. the run at his size.

Cincy: Is TJ Housh still underrated, or are they rating him high enough now? He's a beast, especially as a #2.
Madieu Williams is probably underrated...though he's now gone for the year. Eric Steinbach is...developing into a top guard. Brian Simmons is a quiet performer...Odell Thurman is beginning to get love. Deltha and Tory have made some big plays...though they do get burnt deep, too. Kaesviharn has done well filling in for Madieu and Kim Herring.

Cleveland: Reuben Droughns. 0 TDs is what happens when you play for Cleveland. He's good, though, just in a bad bad place right now.
Chaun Thompson is developing pretty nicely.

Denver: Everyone was hating on Tatum Bell for a while there, but i guess folks are starting to come around. The value on Ashley Lelie has dropped so much that I think he's likely to surpise some poor team sometime soon.
Whether they're dirty or not, that offensive line doesn't have a big household name outside of Nalen and gets the job done. Al Wilson is quietly having a good season, too.

Houston: David Carr is NOT the problem. Morlon Greenwood looks good on D - not many others though.
Yeah, Greenwood is racking up some tackles.

Indy: No one on offense can legitimately be called 'underrated' - maybe with the exception of some of the linemen. I would say Bob Sanders (the boy can hit!) except now that folks realize that he is very good, my pick is Nick Harper, who is consistantly underappreciated as a CB, a tough position, where he is a solid defender.
Larry Tripplett's having a nice year in the rotation with Corey Simon and one-dimensional pass rusher Robert Mathis has two more sacks than Freeney's six.

Jacksonville: LB Mike Peterson, who just lost a couple of really expensive cars in a garage fire (ouch!)
Two words: Rashean Mathis. Did he cover #85? Yes, because Chad originally said that his specifications were that the corner only had to make ONE play against him to defend, which is something Shean did. He's turning into a true shutdown corner and I think he'll regret signing that deal with JAX...because he would've gotten more on the open market. I agree that Peterson is underrated though. Maurice Williams is one of the best RTs in the game. Deon Grant can hit people.

Kansas City: Jared Allen. Helluva DE. 5 of their D-Lines 8 sacks have been his.
Kawika Mitchell's doing pretty well. Allen's a good pass rusher, though.

Miami: I like how Marty Booker plays, he's also averaging almost 18 ypc. Hard to say Zach Thomas is underrated, but I think he is - he doesn't get nearly enough publicity compared to Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher. Kevin Carter is one half of one of the best DE pairings in the game, along with Jason Taylor.
Disagree that that's one of the best DE pairings...because Carter simply isn't who he once was. It's hard for a high first round pick to be "underrated," but all we hear about Miami RBs is Ricky, Ricky, Ricky. Ronnie finally gets some love this week after his big game, but he still isn't heard that much.

New England: Deion Branch is a good WR who is overshadowed by his QB. Daniel Graham doesn't get enough credit either.

New York Jets: Justin McCareins lives in Coles' shadow, but only has 20 less receiving yards with just over half the catches - his ypc is 19. FS Erik Coleman has talent.
Victor Hobson is having a decent year next to Vilma. Robertson is a top tackle. Most people are aware of that, though, I think.

Oakland: The focus on the D-line is Warren Sapp, but Derrek Burgess has 2 sacks in each of his last 3 games, making 7 on the year. Light for a DE, he's 8 pounds under Freeney and an inch taller.
Gotta be careful with the sack #'s...as many of tehse guys are liabilities against the run. Doug Gabriel, Danny Clark, Kirk Morrison (from the LB thread, lol), and Zack Crockett.

Pittsburgh: Troy Polamalu is a beast, 3 sacks from the SS position. Their entire defense is a sack machine, both LOLBs have 3, and Joey Porter has 4 at ROLB. Funny how their defense is mostly no-names (at least outside of pittsburgh - I live in PA, btw). Good no-games.
Troy's known around many circles, IMO, as one of the hardest hitting safeties in the game. FSU alum Chris Hope can lay the wood even harder, though his cover skills leave more to be desired. James Farrior, Larry Foote, Clark Haggans...all very solid players. And can Hines be considered underrated? I mean, is he the best OVERALL WR in the game? An argument can be made for him, although with what is needed to cover TO and Moss, I'd probably go with one of them.

San Diego: Surprise, surprise, McCardell isn't too old to play football. Apparently he's not too old to imitate T.O. as well. Aside from their good pair of ILBs, not much to say on defense. Terrence Kiel isn't bad at SS.
Lorenzo Neal has blocked for many 1000 yard rushers. One of the top FBs in the league. Jamal Williams knows how to play NT in a 3-4. Donnie Edwards isn't known to the casual fan, although he's been the top (?...I think he has been) IDP for FF thus far this season.

Tennessee: Breakout season for Kyle Vanden Bosch. Travis LaBoy has a future.
Haynesworth can stuff the line. Lamont Thompson has quietly resurrected his career in Tennessee

Arizona: Josh McCown is 9-10 as a starter for Arizona since his first start in late 2003. All other starters in 2003-2005 are 3-16. Coincidence? Give this kid a chance and he'll be a solid QB for a long time. Finally this year he has the weapons to do it in Fitz and Boldin.
Some love to Darnell Dockett, who is developing into a top NFL DT. I thought he was going to be a first round pick in 2004. He would've been, except teams were wary about his attitude. Well, he's doing quite well now, isn't he, and Denny Green took a good gamble. Adrian Wilson is a little known player who just makes plays.

Atlanta: Of course Dunn deserves more credit for the Falcons success than he gets, and I daresay more than vick gets too. Their D-Line gets sacks.
Patrick Kerney has an amazing motor. He can get to the QB. Rod Coleman is one of the top interior pass rushers in the game. That play on Vinny Monday Night when Chauncey Davis got a TD was absolutely SICK. Bryan Scott is a pretty good FS. And one more thing. Can anybody name ONE member of their offensive line (not including TE)? Didn't think so. This group has sprung Warrick Dunn to a 5.4 YPG so far this year. Pretty damn good and underrated.

Carolina: Mike Rucker is outperforming Peppers right now. Everyone gets credit for that rush defense, though.
Dan Morgan's finally been relatively healthy this year and it's showing.

Chicago: Mushin Muhammad really deserves to have a better QB throwing to him... Lance Briggs looks good at LOLB next to Urlacher. Nathan Vasher has 3 picks.
Briggs is a very good player. Charles Tillman is just outside the elite CBs, IMO. Very similar to Mathis, he has size and is physical, with good speed, too. He has 36 tackles, which I think can be attributed to stopping the run, not just having plays made on him. The entire defense is doing very well and is probably underrated to some extent.

Dallas: Keyshawn gets the press, Glenn gets the ball - fourth in yards, almost 19 ypc, and not enough folks are sticking him up there with Moss, Moss, Owens and co. On the defensive side, I love Dat Nguwen. Maybe it's his name.
I guess I can't really say that DeMarcus Ware is underrated, because many people were hyping him preseason. Bradie James is racking up some tackles. Roy Williams is producing after a down year or two, but most probably expected that. Some love to Anthony Henry, who has done a very good job after coming over from Cleveland.

Detroit: Not much to say. Their CBs are beasts when they're on. McQuarters is behind Bly on the depth chart, and they have 6 combined interceptions (2 and 4 respectively). Bly will be out for a couple of weeks now.
Boss Bailey was out for all of last year, but Champ's little brother has sick athleticism for a linebacker and could be elite with seasoning. Shaun Rogers is a top DT, though some don't know it.

Green Bay: I like Antonio Chatman - with Walker out this year he's getting more looks. Nick Barnett is a solid MLB.
Al Harris is pretty physical I suppose. Barnett and Chatman are good. Not really underrated, but I need to add that Nick Collins was one of my top sleepers in this year's draft. Starter! I was surprised he was taken in teh2 nd though...most ppl had him in Day 2.

Minnesota: I'll skip all the tempting jokes and say that Marcus Robinson is a solid WR. Not much to say on the subject of the defense though.
Bryant McKinnie?

New York Giants: Tiki Barber never gets his due. Osi Umenyiora is a nice complement at DE to his well-known counterpart Strahan.
People said that Antonio Pierce wouldn't perform in NYG. Well, he has 50 tackles so far this season. Not a spectacular player or freakish athlete, but he just diagnoses and makes the plays. Gotta give love to the line. Compare this year to last year...they're giving Eli a chance to be great.

Philly: Excepting the game against Dallas, Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown have done well at CB... L.J. Smith is an underrated TE these days.
Yeah, their CBs are very good. Michael Lewis is a top SS.

San Francisco: Unfortunately Bryant Young is one of the few quality players on D for this team... Kevan Barlow is a solid RB. I can't wait to see Dorsey play.
Tony Parrish, Julian Peterson are solid. Ahmed Plummer is a good cornerback, but he's hurt.

Seattle: Every unknown reciever has been able to step up for this team... Jurevicius looks especially good filling in. Tatapu is fun to watch at LB.
Ken Hamlin (get well soon) can lay the wood. Michael Boulware's transition to SS has gone very smoothly and he's taking the next step. Bryce Fisher has 5 sacks on the season. Trufant and Herndon are a solid duo...the former being the better corner, obviously.

St. Louis: Steven Jackson is good when he gets the ball, which didn't happen much under Martz. Jimmy Kennedy is solid.
Adam Archuleta is a superb SS when healthy. He's been healthy so far this season. Kevin Curtis isn't really underrated, but he's showing us that the torch can be passed at any time now. Mike Furrey hasn't been embarrassing after moving from WR to FS.

Tampa Bay: Joey Galloway: Another good WR who doesn't get much attention. Hard to call any part of their defense underrated - everyone knows they're good. Brian Kelly has 3 picks.
Lost in Cadillac's outburst is that their line is supposed to be horrible. Well, they're not great, but they're getting the job done. The defensive unit is very good, overall. Everyone knows that it as in the unit is good, but Ryan Nece, Shelton Quarles, Jermaine Phillips, and Greg Spires are not exactly household names. I'm surprised that Booger only has three tackles so far, but as long as he's stuffing the hole, stats don't matter.

Washington: Cornelius Griffin is a good DT. Ladell Betts looks like one of the best #2 RBs around these days.

Superb unit without many name players. They do their job. Simple as that. Marcus Washington and Lemar Marshall are solid, a la Pierce from last year. One reason why Brunell has had time to pass this year compared to last year is the return of previously injured RT Jon Jansen. Not an elite OT, but right under that level. Chris Samuels is also a good OT...they have a solid pair of bookend tackles. Derrick Dockery has grown up since his embarrassment last year, although there is still more work to be done. Considering his size, he has potential to be elite.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby Warhawk » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:43 am

Manja wrote:

Eh.. spelled Dat Nguyen wrong, and he isn't really underrated..

Yeah, you're right. Chalk one up for sleepiness.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warhawk » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:49 am

Actually, the more I look at this, the more I realize most of it is stupid.

Sorry bout that. :-/
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Teh Jury » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:58 am

Cooner wrote:
Teh Jury wrote:Where are the Saints? :-?

in Los Angeles?

YA THANKS :-P

I obviously mean 'where are they on this list?'
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk