Waking up with a stiffie - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Waking up with a stiffie

Moderator: Football Moderators

Waking up with a stiffie

Postby The Lung » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:53 am

No, not that, you pervert. ;-)

A stiff neck. About once a year or so I wake up with stiff muscles in my lower neck and upper back. It's really painful! Keeping motion to a minimum for several days is the only way to deal with it. Driving is downright hazardous because I can't turn my head when backing up or checking blind spots. It usually takes about four to five days to go away completely.

What causes this? Is there anyway to prevent this? Is this just an artifact of getting old?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pete123444 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:17 am

could be many things. Hopefully it's either a mattress, pillow or not enough sleep problem. A bad mattress or pillow could cause back or neck problems. If you're not getting enough sleep, then when you do sleep, you're sleeping so hard that you are sleeping in one position. If you are not able to increase your sleeping time then try setting the alarm for the middle of your sleep so that you can reset it and go back to sleep ina different position. Most likely cause is a bad pillow. And that's the easiest one to fix. If it doesn't seem to be one of these you should consult a doctor if the condition persists.

Edit* I just reread your post and realised this is happening about once a year. In that case it's most likely a sleeping too hard problem caused from overactivity or you were stressed out over something. If you can predict when this might happen, try setting the alarm for the middle of your sleep.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:09 am

This happens to me all the time. It's a condition called Myabackahurtsia, and it can only be cured by frequent doses of a medication derived from hops and barley. I'm not a doctor, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night! Seriously, if it's not from over-exertion, back and neck problems are not to be taken lightly. It's worth it to just go get a checkup.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby footballchick23 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:15 am

Could be attributed to many things....sleeping on it wrong, tension caused by stress, overuse. This happens to me a few times a year...I usually take lots of Ibuprofen, slap on the Bengay or Icy Hot and head to a hot tub as fast as possible! Self-massaging a stiffie usually works too (sorry, couldn't resist)...like while you're at work or something, just knead the neck muscles using one of your hands starting from the base of your skull all the way down to the top of your shoulder. Good luck... :-)
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:35 am

My wife usually just works it out for me. :-]
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:26 pm

I havn't seen anyone suggest change of season or change in the weather. For me when it starts to get cold, my ankel and knee don't like mornings much.

Remedy for you. There are these pain patch things that you put over irritated areas like back or neck. I've used em before and they work pretty good. Icy hot or bengay type stuff does help but then you reek like an old folks home.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Waking up with a stiffie

Postby Arlo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:27 pm

The Lung wrote:Is there anyway to prevent this?

Move that uncomfortable bowl of peanuts to the side before falling asleep facedown on the bar. :*)

(OK, ok, so there's a reason why I didn't enter the field of medicine... :-b )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flockers » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:54 pm

Arlo has jokes. :-b
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Arlo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:26 pm

Flockers wrote:Arlo has jokes. :-b

Either that or he's speaking from experience. :-o
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hastur » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:22 pm

I wake up with a pain in the neck every morning, but I go to work to get away from her :-o
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to General Talk