TO's Thoughts on Eagles' Offense - Throw it MORE??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

TO's Thoughts on Eagles' Offense - Throw it MORE???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby FatFoot » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:09 pm

The fact that they're passing TOO MUCH is why TO isn't getting as many big plays as he thinks he should. McNabb is supposed to be a mobile QB, and he can't be this year... they've got no run game, and a pocket QB. The situations that are available to them in the passing game are entirely different than those available to a team that has a successful running game. If they got Westbrook more involved ON THE GROUND, not as a pressure valve short yardage receiver, they'd probably be able to make even more big plays than they currently are.

But the fact remains, they're still doing a good job, even without the balance they really need... and you don't usually START building a serious run game halfway into the season. I don't expect any major changes in the way the Eagles play football unless McNabb's injury incapacitates him.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:11 pm

I think Jim Rome said it best.

THey could throw the ball to Owens on every single play and it still wouldn't be enough. No matter who his QB is, he's not good enough. That's just Owens for ya.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:34 pm

I dont see anything wrong with him stating the obvious. He said give him and Westbrook (the two best weapons in that offense) the ball more. Its simple and will probably make the offense more effective.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:16 am

I love Owens on my fantasy team, but he's a dumbass. They throw too much.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:46 am

yea, they throw too much. but my estimation, since TO came to the club, they have only been legitimately shut down in the air by pittsburgh and dallas. Atlanta kinda did as well. It is kinda tough to argue the pass first approach really doesn't work, it seems to get them pretty darn far.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DolphinsAllTheWay » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:00 pm

I respect TO for saying what he thinks.......every other WR is thinking the same thing, but they just dont say nothing....
Patrick Surtain the best DB in the NFL.....period!
DolphinsAllTheWay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PACKman1144 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:51 pm

An offense need to play to their personel.

They have a very good QB, and very good recieving RB, and one of the best, if not the best WR in the NFL.

This mean they need to pass. It is that simple, they need to pass, TO is right.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:32 pm

Is it only me or did TO not even mention the Eagles need to pass more. He said get him the ball more and get Westbrook the ball more. He didn't say throw more passes. He could have been saying throw more passes to HIM and run a little more with Westbrook. No where in that quote does it say throw more passes. I agree TO says some dumb shit but lets not jump down his throat and take what he said totally out of context by putting words into his mouth. I think it's actually a good idea to get him and Westbrook the ball more. And maybe mix up the run game with Moats a little more as well. Just my 2 cents. and believe me I'm a cowboys fan...I HATE TO!!!
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:16 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:Is it only me or did TO not even mention the Eagles need to pass more. He said get him the ball more and get Westbrook the ball more. He didn't say throw more passes. He could have been saying throw more passes to HIM and run a little more with Westbrook. No where in that quote does it say throw more passes. I agree TO says some dumb shit but lets not jump down his throat and take what he said totally out of context by putting words into his mouth. I think it's actually a good idea to get him and Westbrook the ball more. And maybe mix up the run game with Moats a little more as well. Just my 2 cents. and believe me I'm a cowboys fan...I HATE TO!!!

Thank you. I am not a fan of TO but it has gotten to the point where anything he says is going to be blown out of proportion because he's TO. At no point did he say "throw more." He simply said to get himself and Westy the ball more. And we probably all agree with him. If the Eagles want to improve, Westy must be used more. If you look at McNabb's lines, he is spreading the ball more and more and the Eagles are running less and less. This is not good.

Fact of the matter is that TO is always going to say he needs the ball more and we all know it will happen. But the fact that Mr. Throw Me The Ball is even saying that Westy needs more touches is the most important part. Even he can see that Westy is a key part of that offense and probably second in explosiveness to only TO himself.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kilroy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:07 am

eaglesrule wrote:yea, they throw too much. but my estimation, since TO came to the club, they have only been legitimately shut down in the air by pittsburgh and dallas. Atlanta kinda did as well. It is kinda tough to argue the pass first approach really doesn't work, it seems to get them pretty darn far.

So they "only" got shut down by two playoff-caliber teams, and "kinda" shut down by another one, and you don't see the problem with the pass-first approach?

January is the problem with the pass-first approach. Sooner or later (and in the playoffs (if they make the playoffs) it's apt to be sooner) it's gonna cost 'em.

But hey, there's always next year.

:-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk