The future of Priest Holmes? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The future of Priest Holmes?

Moderator: Football Moderators

The future of Priest Holmes?

Postby FavresLastStand » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:47 pm

I play a Keeper League and have a few titles under my belt. I want to keep up to date on tihngs to make moves ahead of time. Just wondering on what the experts here think of the Priest Holmes/Larry Johnson situation. Do you think this will last a few years until Holmes is like the Faulk of St. Louis? Or do you think maybe L. Johnson has proved he can play and could potentionally get a starting role with the team. I have no idea about eithers contract status but I would assume that plays a part in it. I don't think the Chiefs want to let go of L. Johnson.

Thoughts?
FavresLastStand
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:54 pm

According to the offseason rumors this might be priest's last year, but Until i've heard anything definitive I'd predict that he plays again next year in a similar role.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:55 pm

I feel bad for Larry.

If Priest wasn't there, he'd be a monster.

With both of them there, they're both good...but neither has the chance to put a true all-world season.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FavresLastStand » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:57 pm

Yea, a guy in our league has both Holmes and larry Johnson. He was hoping one would get hurt this year jsut so he knew which one to go with lol

I should say he didn't mean that literally. No one hopes one gets hurt. (I think)
FavresLastStand
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PSU All Day » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:59 pm

Johnson is signed through 2010.

Priest signed a four-year contract extension with Kansas City (9/3/03)

Not sure what Priests cap rate would be for next year which would be good to know for this discussion.

Obviously from how the 2 players are being used KC is committed to getting LJ the ball more. Look for that to continue next year though what the breakdown will be is anyone's guess.

I would not be surprised to see it go to 50/50 or even 40/60 next year from 70/30 this year.
"There are Lies, Big Lies, and then Statistics"

"Value Based Drafting is your friend!"
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby petedog9 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:33 pm

[quote="BrutallyHuge"]I feel bad for Larry.

If Priest wasn't there, he'd be a monster.

With both of them there, they're both good...but neither has the chance to put a true all-world season.[/quote]

on the flip side...If Larry wasnt there, Priest would still be a MONSTER!
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:48 pm

KC is falling apart. I'm not talking this year, but in the next couple years maybe even next year, they are a REBUILDING franchise.

By the time that LJ fully supplants Priest (injury/retirement/etc.) it will be too late. That team is built to win now, they're heavily invested in veteran players and have very little youth on offense. Vermeil may be outta there after this year and at that point the sand castle will crumble.

QB = old
O-line = old
Priest = old
Gonzalez = getting there
Vermeil = end of the line

Sure LJ has value going forward as the Chief's starting RB... next year? 2 years from now? Who knows, but he's not gonna be like the LJ of last year or the Priest of a couple years ago. That KC/Vermeil system is dying.. the only way we see that type of fantasy production again in KC is if Priest or LJ suffer a season-ending injury THIS year and one of them takes on the full workload.

And the way Priest has been running, I think only LJ is capable of being that #1 RB superstud. Priest is still capable, but he is not good for 2000/25 anymore, no matter how many touches they give him.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:28 am

The problem with Larry is the rest of the team is old and the coach is almost done.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby ljthockey » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:34 am

Definatly agreed we will soon have to rebuild. Most likely this is Vermiels last year and I have heard Priest state a few times that he thinks every runningback should only play 10 years. Which would make next year be his last. I think it will be.

As for LJ I dont think he will be a fantasy stud for a while. With Roaf and Shields getting way up there in age both of them should be gone soon which would really hurt our runnin game. LJ has the potential but he wont have the supporting cast in these next few years.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:31 pm

As for the salary discussion and the future of the Cheifs, here are some highlights to throw on the discussion. These numbers don't include bonus' and incentives.

Holmes - 05 2,415,000 / 06 3,250,000
LJohnson - 05 628,000 / 06 741,000
Green - 05 4,700,000 / 06 5,700,000
Gonzo - 05 3,000,000 / 06 3,600,000
Roaf - 05 1,000,000 / 06 3,500,000
Shields - 05 4,300,000 / 06 5,100,000

The most alarming of all is obviously the jump in Roaf's contract due next year. LJ is signed through 2010 as is Holmes. His extension in 2003 pushed him out that far. I'm not a KC fan so Ican't elaborate too much as to what they will do, but with their key players ages as well as salaries, it would make sense to try and move Holmes and allow for LJohnson to take the role due to salary alone. Of course LJohnson will most likely hold out the season after he is the full time starter for more money, which he will most likely deserve. But everyone else listed above has their time remaining limited in the NFL.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk