Adrian Peterson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Adrian Peterson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:56 pm

knapplc, The problem isnt so much the players. Yes NU has talent and more is on the way. The problem is the coaching staff. They may be great recruiters, but great coaches? Not from what I've seen so far.

I do like Taylor. I think he's a great competitor. But keep in mind that this is a kid that Wake Forest didnt even think was worth hanging on to. He's not a good talent. He's a guy thats keeping the seat warm while the good talent gets ready. Think of him as Dilfer. Hes probably not gonna win games for you, you just dont want him to make the big mistake. (Which unfortunately he did twice on Saturday.)

Finally, I'm going to be very critical of this staff til they start proving they can coach. I dont know how old you are but the Huskers have always been good throughout my lifietime. I will not settle for 5-6, 7-4, or 8-3 seasons. NU fans should expect the best. When you get to the point that you dont expect the best, rest assured, you probably wont get it.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:26 pm

I'm old enough to remember Vince Ferragamo and the two-point try vs. Miami quite vividly. I'm not about to give Callahan a pass, and the whole staff needs to show me more than they have so far before I'm "happy" with them, but I do believe they're an improvement over Solich and his group (with the exception of Pelini vs. Cosgrove).

Having said that, Callahan's insistance on throwing sideline-to-sideline yesterday was a collossal mistake. Whether you're throwing with a 30-mph wind or against it, a pass thrown 20-30 yards across that wind will float no matter what. You have to be smart enough to know that. The 2nd-quarter pick for a TD was a pass that Taylor never should have thrown (Taylor's fault) but the PLAY should never have been called (Callahan's fault). They were calling sideline patterns all game long, forgetting almost entirely on the short slant with the exception of two plays - Nunn's TD and a third-quarter throw for a first down. Dumb, dumb coaching. The only thing is, I can remember critiquing Osborne in the same way during the 80s and 90s, and I was all over Solich all the time from my barkolounger. Every coach makes dumb mistakes.

There's a lot of room for improvement in Lincoln right now. I'm just willing to give them another year or two before I start to call for Callahan's head.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:51 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Finally, I'm going to be very critical of this staff til they start proving they can coach. I dont know how old you are but the Huskers have always been good throughout my lifietime. I will not settle for 5-6, 7-4, or 8-3 seasons. NU fans should expect the best. When you get to the point that you dont expect the best, rest assured, you probably wont get it.

I think you overestimate your influence on the Huskers' football team.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:58 pm

yeah, i understand you want to give a coach the time to get "his people" in there....but this callahan guy is a total drain on the integrity of the program and the prestige of the position. he's an ass. i have more respect for nebraska and its fans than any other team in the nation. they are one of our greatest foes (as a sooner, it's tough to put anyone ahead of texas, just because we hate them and their fans so much. the respect i have for nebraska and their fans, and the fact that we no longer play every year (which is another rant completely.) is why i have to put texas above the huskers as #1 rival). i don't care about the play calling like you fans do, i just am pissed to see such an ass holding a position that I really want to like and respect.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:11 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:Finally, I'm going to be very critical of this staff til they start proving they can coach. I dont know how old you are but the Huskers have always been good throughout my lifietime. I will not settle for 5-6, 7-4, or 8-3 seasons. NU fans should expect the best. When you get to the point that you dont expect the best, rest assured, you probably wont get it.

I think you overestimate your influence on the Huskers' football team.

Funny stuff. Are you saying I dont control their fortunes? My mom lied to me :)

I think if I didnt perceive Callahan (and Pederson) as such an ass, I'd probably be less critical of him and his hand picked staff. I disagree with you, knapplc, about which coaching staff was better. I felt firing Solich was a good thing, but that was with the assumption that the staff would remain intact. Gill, Cotton, Pelini, and Sanders had that team headed in the right direction and did it with class and humility, not this "we know what were doing, and you dont" kind of attitude that Callahan and his staff are exuding. At least come out and explain yourselves and own up to your mistakes instead of comments like "were looking forward, last week was last week" or "we were ready for it, but we (meaning the players) didnt execute". That crap may have flown with Osborne because he had earned the right. This staff hasnt. They act like its now "their" team when in Nebraska its always been "our" team.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to College Football