Ohio State/Minnesota - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Ohio State/Minnesota

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ohio State/Minnesota

Postby jayday » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:24 pm

wow....i wasnt expecting a shootout....both teams came out guns-a-blazin'....

maroney REALLY impressed me in the first half....i think he had like 90 yards in the FIRST quarter...holy cow i didnt expect that....when we were allowing 63 a game....even though i knew you guys averaged like 300 a game....

i believe the turning point was ginns kick return....man he was gone once he reached the 30 yard line....even w/70 yards to go, you knew he was gone.....

all and all....it was a good game, cupito threw for 400, great game by him....but i think its because we were focused on the run....

maroney is going to slip too far on the draft board....i guarantee you that....he's a great runner who isnt getting enough credit....this is the 1st game i got to watch him....wow...

good game gophers... ;-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:59 pm

Maroney impressed you? He did exactly the opposite for me. He gained his yards through giant holes, but anytime there was a defender near him he went down. I can't remember how many times on little swing passes or pitches where Maroney had pretty much 1 on 1 outside I heard the announcer say "and they'll see what Maroney can do in the open field" only to see him brought down easily 1 on 1. Even bad RBs should be able to get around a lone defender in the open field most of the time, much less "one of the best".

The real telling run for me though was a very key 4th down and short where Maroney received a pitch outside and was run down by a defensive LINEMAN, and then arm tackled by him.

Key 4th down so you know he's putting it all out there, and he lacked the speed to outrun a lineman to the corner, and lacked the power to run through a one arm tackle.

I will admit I haven't seen a whole lot of Maroney, only the Purdue and Ohio State games. But from what I have seen, I am extremely unimpressed. He has shown me he can handle getting a lot of carries, but not much else.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby jayday » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:10 pm

the FIRST quarter he impressed me....sorry, shouldve clarified....after OSU made adjustments, he was neutralized for the most part....

the bucks run D is nasty....so i didnt even expect him to go off the first quarter....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:59 am

Free Bagel wrote:Maroney impressed you? He did exactly the opposite for me. He gained his yards through giant holes, but anytime there was a defender near him he went down. I can't remember how many times on little swing passes or pitches where Maroney had pretty much 1 on 1 outside I heard the announcer say "and they'll see what Maroney can do in the open field" only to see him brought down easily 1 on 1. Even bad RBs should be able to get around a lone defender in the open field most of the time, much less "one of the best".

The real telling run for me though was a very key 4th down and short where Maroney received a pitch outside and was run down by a defensive LINEMAN, and then arm tackled by him.

Key 4th down so you know he's putting it all out there, and he lacked the speed to outrun a lineman to the corner, and lacked the power to run through a one arm tackle.

I will admit I haven't seen a whole lot of Maroney, only the Purdue and Ohio State games. But from what I have seen, I am extremely unimpressed. He has shown me he can handle getting a lot of carries, but not much else.

On that play it was a 2-on-1 because there was a linebacker between Maroney and the 1st down marker and Russell threw a weak-ass block at Kudla which barely slowed him down.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:47 am

This just in, Teddy Ginn is a stud! 8-o
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:14 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Maroney impressed you? He did exactly the opposite for me. He gained his yards through giant holes, but anytime there was a defender near him he went down. I can't remember how many times on little swing passes or pitches where Maroney had pretty much 1 on 1 outside I heard the announcer say "and they'll see what Maroney can do in the open field" only to see him brought down easily 1 on 1. Even bad RBs should be able to get around a lone defender in the open field most of the time, much less "one of the best".

On that play it was a 2-on-1 because there was a linebacker between Maroney and the 1st down marker and Russell threw a weak-ass block at Kudla which barely slowed him down.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of a different play. Maroney ran out wide had on a 4th and 1. Just had to turn the corner and he was there for the 1st down, but the DE ran him down and tackled him with one arm.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby jayday » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:38 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of a different play. Maroney ran out wide had on a 4th and 1. Just had to turn the corner and he was there for the 1st down, but the DE ran him down and tackled him with one arm.

yea that was Kudla.....he's an animal...benches 500+ pounds 8-o
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:40 pm

Everyone is getting to see how good of an NFL back Barber is and Maroney having watched them both obviously has much more talent he is going to be a good NFL runner
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to College Football