High Tension - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

High Tension

Moderator: Football Moderators

High Tension

Postby Ironhorse75 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:03 pm

I highly suggest this movie to any fans of the horror genre.

It's a french film that was recently released on dvd within the past few weeks. I believe it only saw a limited theater release here in the states.

Unlike most horror films in which the lead role makes those 'slap your head' mistakes, Marie is an absolute ass kicker. She's smart and cunning. Handles the situations like you would want her to.

There is an unrated and a rated cut. Both dvds feature the original French track with subtitles and the an English dub which I don't suggest listening to.

I believe the only way to watch the unrated cut is by watching the French version with subtitles. I typically watch a movie in it's native language regardless, but in this case it shouldn't be a bother for anyone who doesn't typically do so because it's a slasher where dialogue is far and few between. Majority of the movie is experienced visually.

I can handle movies like SEVEN, 8MM, SAW without breaking a sweat, but some of the 'killings' in this movie are really hard to swallow. I hadn't watched the "rated" version, but just by watching the unrated version you'll instantly know where the extra footage was put in.

If it means anything, this movie is put out by LGE, the same company that brought you SAW. So you know the coverart/packaging is killer.

Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DUKE » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:51 am

I work w/ a dude who is really into horror flicks. He actually went to some horror convention where he bought a copy of this movie way before it came out to the public. He's been talking about it for a long time and says pretty much what you are saying. I'm going to try and check it out as soon as I can.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kashikis » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:03 pm

I've been wanting to see this for a while it's on my netflix queue and I'll just move it up a few spots. ;-D
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: High Tension

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:15 pm

Ironhorse75 wrote:I can handle movies like SEVEN, 8MM, SAW without breaking a sweat, but some of the 'killings' in this movie are really hard to swallow.

Can you elaborate?

Would it be worse than some of the stuff in Sin City if Sin City was in color?
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: High Tension

Postby Ironhorse75 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:50 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Ironhorse75 wrote:I can handle movies like SEVEN, 8MM, SAW without breaking a sweat, but some of the 'killings' in this movie are really hard to swallow.

Can you elaborate?

Would it be worse than some of the stuff in Sin City if Sin City was in color?

Definitely. There is one scene where a lady gets her neck slit, has to be the most graphic throat cutting I've ever seen. It just looks so realistic. Like most of the time movies will show the slicing, but never really focus on the cut, but this movie does and the wound is like opening/closing depending on how the woman is moving her neck before she falls down. And after that the dude cuts off one of her hands I think? The main character is hiding in the closet of the room that he's doing this and can see through the blinds, blood is just flying everywhere as he hacks into her.

But the most violet scene is towards the end with a buzzsaw. A guy is trapped in his car seat and the killer slices through the windshield and just goes to town on the guy's chest. It's only a matter of seconds until the entire inside of the car is red. You see blood and chunks of the guy flicking all over the place.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:12 pm

I am a huge horror movie buff and i will say that Haute Tension was one of the best for gore that i have ever seen.

I would definately recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys horror or macabre genre of movies. ;-D ;-D

Ironhorse-The buzzsaw scene was very well done as was the entire movie. I actuallly had to watch it a few times.

Alexander Aja did an incredible job on the film and has been working with Wes Craven to bring the true Horror genre back onto its feet in the States after the real dip it has taken in the last 10 or so years. Aja could bring the horror genre back into the limelight and Wes Craven has been quoted calling Aja the "future of horror". The man is a genius when it comes to macabre.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby footballchick23 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:45 pm

I guess I'm gonna have to check it out....gotta love gore!

Not to get off the film, but has anyone seen the Japanese film "Audition"? I heard it's just unreal...can't find it at the local video store...maybe a good thing since I might not be able to stomach it anyway.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:02 pm

footballchick23 wrote:I guess I'm gonna have to check it out....gotta love gore!

Not to get off the film, but has anyone seen the Japanese film "Audition"? I heard it's just unreal...can't find it at the local video store...maybe a good thing since I might not be able to stomach it anyway.

I ordered it the other day, have yet to get it. But a friend told me about the film and said it was very good.

If you want to order it heres the link to where i get alot of my movies

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_listin ... format=DVD

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby footballchick23 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:06 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
I ordered it the other day, have yet to get it. But a friend told me about the film and said it was very good.

If you want to order it heres the link to where i get alot of my movies

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_listin ... format=DVD

Sweet....you have to tell me how it is...I need a horror connoisseur's opinion first!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:08 pm

High Tension is a great flick. One of my favorite horror movies of all-time. ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk