Top Busts of the 1st half - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Top Busts of the 1st half

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby footballchick23 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:37 pm

Horn's been pretty much a bust for me this year...drafted him in Round 3 or 4 to go with Harriosn. I know he's been injured and the Saints were displaced, and he's got Brooks throwing the ball, etc., but so far Curtis and Housh have been better starts for me some weeks!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:03 pm

Maybe Gonzalez is going to pull himself off the list after the last 2 weeks? what do u guys think?
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby maddog60 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:11 pm

TOP 3 RB busts so far:

Jamal Lewis - I was among those that thought with improvements in talent to the offensive line and WR corps that Lewis wouldn't see 8 in the box, and return to dominant form. He was a consensus 1st rounder to just about everyone, and has been pathetic with no signs of a turn around. He'll be lucky if Chester Taylor isn't starting by season's end.

Kevin Jones - Many people projected him to crack the top 10 of RBs, and was considered a very solid choice for those drafting at the turn of the 1st and 2nd round. He's not nearly the bust Jamal is, because he was usually drafted later, has performed better, and has more opportunity to turn his season around, but he's been a bye week fill in at best.

Arrington - He was considered one of the top mid round RBs and a great value for a 3rd RB, but instead, he's done absolutely nothing, and would be lucky to get 10 carries a game at this point. Talk about dropping off the map.

TOP 3 WR Busts so far:

AJ - The David Carr sack count says it all. What a waste of a 3rd or 4th rounder for many.

Michael Clayton - The people picking Clayton saw the Pro Bowl calibur play of Brian Griese and banked on him continuing that performance. Well, he did, but instead of feeding the ball all of the time to Clayton, he switched to Galloway. I don't think even those who predicted a sophomore slump thought Clayton would be this bad.

Nate Burleson - He was drafted pretty much because he was Culpepper's #1 option. Well, where Culpepper busts, Burleson busts, and he'd be lucky to crack the top 30 of WRs by years end.

I dont think guys like MacAllister and Walker, etc can be counted as busts, because the only reason they're not performing is injury.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby with_pleasure » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:35 pm

Not just Dallas Clark, but the entire Colts passing game. Also, Mike Vanderjagt. I took him above all kickers in one league.

More: Pats defense. Rudi Johnson deserves a mention, but doesn't look as bad in light of the other RB disasters. And Roy Williams. I traded he and Willie Parker for AJ before game one. We all got screwed.

And the jury's still out on Porter. With Randy down he has a good chance to live up to his 5th round draft ranking.
with_pleasure
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:01 pm

MiniDitkas wrote:What about marvin Harrison?

Can you put injured people on the bust list? It's not their fault.

Injured players...hard to call busts. It's more of an unfortunate thing than a total underperformance.

I personally would define busts as players expected to perform at a certain level that missed horribly.

I would not call Harrison a bust. I just wouldn't. Yes, he fits my description of "expected to perform at a certain level but didn't" so far, but missing the expectation horribly? I had no intent on believing Manning and the crew would have nearly as many TD's as last year, so seeing him with 388 yards and 5 TD's through 7 games really isn't that bad. He's 14th in WR scoring right now, which is a high #2. Sure, he should probably have about 500-550 yards right now, but he probably won't get 1500 yards ever again. The last few years he's been around 1200. All it takes is a few games with 150+ yards receiving to bring his averages in line again.

Basically what I'm saying is that "bust" should be reserved for the completely horrific missing of total stats. Here are some players I would call "busts" so far (There are still 9 games left in the season for most teams):

Jamal Lewis. Expected 1st round value from a 2nd round steal. Hasn't run for crap this year and shows no signs of improvement with a horrible team.

Tony Gonzalez. The loss of Roaf ate into his pattern running, plus Green is throwing even more underneath than normal. I think the loss of Morton was very detrimental to that team. It at least gave KC two established threats at the WR slot. I believe he will be off my list in about 3-4 games since he's caught 7 balls the last two weeks and finally scored a TD last week. Still not worth what was paid, but he should salvage a decent year and be in the top 6-7 TE's.

Peyton Manning. OK, I didn't expect last year again in the slightest, but I didn't think he would be ranked 14th in QB scoring so far. He's trending for "only" 3500 yards. With the amount of bad teams he has played, you'd have thought he would have passed them into oblivion. They haven't had to do that to win so far, so they just aren't passing as much. The "new" Manning has killed a lot of teams so far considering most of them didn't get a top RB in order to secure his services.

(Note that other people's scoring systems might have them different, but it's probably close.)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Challie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:31 pm

I would have to say KJ and Lewis considering where they were drafted. Moss has been a bust only in that he's been hurt, but to just suck like Lewis & KJ, ouch.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deacon » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:33 pm

I would say the biggest bust is the Ravens DEF. In many leagues they were the first DEF picked and they have been worse than bad this year!
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:34 pm

Can't believe nobody has mentioned curtis martin.

Its not really his fault, but i think a comeback could be in order when jay fiedler returns...

Trent Green has also been affected by injuries to Willie Roaf. I am in a 2QB league, so Green and Bulger were my first round picks. Green showed signs of life this week. I need it to continue...

Culpepper has got to be the ultimate bust pre-injury though. He was the 5th pick in my league.
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby fantasizing » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:18 pm

the three that most stand out in my mind:

Ahman Green
Andre Johnson
Nate Burleson

Complete and utter busts.......disgracefull if you ask me considering the massive production they've had in the past
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:28 pm

deacon wrote:I would say the biggest bust is the Ravens DEF. In many leagues they were the first DEF picked and they have been worse than bad this year!

Yes. Had I had some more time, they would have been mentioned. NE and BUF would belong on the list also.

The days of the "play the same D every week" are gone in my opinion. Even though BAL has been tough for several years, there are never any guarantees as to how they will do and who they will face during a year. You're better off switching off to cruddy D's with good matchups or finding a team with a run of easy games than just hoping a good defense will stop every team in its way.

Also, if you look at it, PIT really hasn't been stellar either. 8-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk