Jimmy Smith. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jimmy Smith.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:55 pm

He's a hit or miss guy. Cross your fingers when you play him.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Teh Jury » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:02 am

I've loved Jimmy Smith throughout the years, and I drafted him this year again. But every player finds himself on the other side of the hill eventually, and I think Jimmy's time has come. I unfortunately think that this is the beginning of the end for Jet.

And yes, Leftwich needs to work on his touch - he's like a rocket launcher with only the one setting.
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:50 am

Would you guys think it be a good idea to pickup Wilford as insurance as a Jimmy owner? or will that just cause more of flippin the coin to choose who to start each week?
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:53 am

Boy - with all the Jimmy Smith hate that has surfaced over the last 2 weeks, Id say now is the perfect time to try and get him in a trade if you can.

Perfect buy low candidate. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:01 pm

Yea, just did, in fact i get him tonight, hurtin at WR so i traded my 4th string rb curtis martin for him.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:15 pm

I also want to add - for those complaining about inconsisatncy, I again completely disagree. I guess it depends on what you call consistant - if its game to game, then there are roughly 5 consistant WRs in the NFL and the rest are inconsistant. If its yr to yr, I dont think you have a leg to stand on.

Name 5 WRs that have been more consistant than JSmith over the last 8-10 seasons. TO, Holt, Harrison, Moss...? Bruce? no. Ward? nope. Mason? no. Rod Smith? thats a close one, they are both up there.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby houstonoilers » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:39 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I also want to add - for those complaining about inconsisatncy, I again completely disagree. I guess it depends on what you call consistant - if its game to game, then there are roughly 5 consistant WRs in the NFL and the rest are inconsistant. If its yr to yr, I dont think you have a leg to stand on.

Name 5 WRs that have been more consistant than JSmith over the last 8-10 seasons. TO, Holt, Harrison, Moss...? Bruce? no. Ward? nope. Mason? no. Rod Smith? thats a close one, they are both up there.

I agree. Jimmy is on pace for a another 1000 yard receiving year. I would also like to point out that the guy has only had two in which he didnt have over 1000 yards and one of them is because he missed four games and still received 805 yards.

Alkaholik,

I dont think you need to try and handcuff the guy. He has missed 5 games out of 167 in his career. The guy is a beast and Lefty loves him.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:44 pm

Smith is a prototype #3 fantasy WR. If you expect more, you're kidding yourself. He has some big games, but his normal games are almost never busts. How many fantasy WR's consistently get at least 40 yards receiving? Only the #1 WR's and the top #2's can boast more than ten 40+ yard games a year. It's the TD's that give them the big points. Jimmy isn't a major TD threat, but he does get a decent share.

I haven't seen many other guys who can consistently get 40-80 yards a game. Last year he had 3 games out of 16 where he had less than 50 yards. The year before was 3 of 12. In '02 it was 6 of 16 (although one was 49 yards).

From a #3, I'd take 5 points every week instead of 12 one week and 2 the next. ;-D

One disturbing trend to note with Jimmy is that a lot of his poor games come at the end of the year. I don't know whether it's him wearing down, playing in cold weather, or what, but it is worth noting. Possibly a caveat in buying him for the end of the year even with poor competition.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Teh Jury » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:36 pm

houstonoilers wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I also want to add - for those complaining about inconsisatncy, I again completely disagree. I guess it depends on what you call consistant - if its game to game, then there are roughly 5 consistant WRs in the NFL and the rest are inconsistant. If its yr to yr, I dont think you have a leg to stand on.

I agree. Jimmy is on pace for a another 1000 yard receiving year. I would also like to point out that the guy has only had two in which he didnt have over 1000 yards and one of them is because he missed four games and still received 805 yards.

Alkaholik,

I dont think you need to try and handcuff the guy. He has missed 5 games out of 167 in his career. The guy is a beast and Lefty loves him.

After a number of bad games in a row, this 2 outstanding games have been watered down and he's now on pace for under 1000. What I'm more interested in is that every player starts "the slide" at some point in his career, and I think Jimmy's time looms.
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk