New Artificial Turf Causing Injuries? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New Artificial Turf Causing Injuries?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Paladyr » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:08 pm

I think turf injuries tend to be higher b/c often times players cleats get stuck in the turf or "grip" too much which puts a LOT more force on their ankles/knees then they are accustomed to. You want your feet to be able to slip a little bit on turf for this reason.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby benjapage » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:23 pm

Paladyr wrote:I think turf injuries tend to be higher b/c often times players cleats get stuck in the turf or "grip" too much which puts a LOT more force on their ankles/knees then they are accustomed to. You want your feet to be able to slip a little bit on turf for this reason.

word to that. my knee exploded playing soccer on turf. i tried to change direction off of my back leg, and it cracked sideways to the tune of a giant nacho chip (ACL, MCL & meniscus). pretty sweet. i'll get back to playing, but not on turf, man. not on turf.

now, if there were millions of dollars hanging in the balance, we'd have to talk... :-)

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Santacruzer » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:26 pm

They have slowly fazed out the old "Astro"turf because it did prove to be more dangerous. It was awful. No give, plus it held your feet in place too well. There were even non-contact injuries from players just turning themselves around while having their foot planted.

The "new" turf is supposed to be a lot different. It seems that most of the knee injuries so far are from hits (Walker, Rothlisberger, C-pep, etc).

I have not looked into it, but I bet you would find no corelation of these injuries to just the artificial surfaces.

The transition to lighter, and less protection worn by the players probably has more to do with it. Especially "Turf Toe". These guys are wearing virtually no foot protection, opting for very light "track" shoes.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Paladyr » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:34 pm

I'm currently playing flag football on what I think is the older style artificial grass and I have super grip just in my cross-trainers. I have yet to slip. These guys wearing cleats is definitely a cause for injury.

The newer style is supposed to cut down on that a lot, but I don't think I've played on it yet.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby phunkadelic » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:35 pm

moonhead wrote:i know they've been using stuff i think it's called turfgrass or something like that.....

I seem to recall the new turf composite FieldTurf. I think it's been installed at colleges for a lot longer than the NFl though.
phunkadelic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby houstonoilers » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:59 pm

Why not just go barefoot? I think this will help on the injuries..lol.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moonhead » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:59 pm

phunkadelic wrote:
moonhead wrote:i know they've been using stuff i think it's called turfgrass or something like that.....

I seem to recall the new turf composite FieldTurf. I think it's been installed at colleges for a lot longer than the NFl though.

fieldturf...that must be what it is.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:36 pm

NexTurf, FieldTurf...it's all the same. It's basically ground up tires with fake grass sticking out of it. :-b

Still, I bet if you look at the normal amount of injuries during a year, it'd probably be about the same. Every year we forget about the injuries from the year previous.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more season ending injuries by this time. It has been eight weeks, and we've only lost a handful of top fantasy players. Most of the guys who are hurt are going to be out for a few games, but at least they can come back.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk