Do any Minny players have value w/o Culpepper - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do any Minny players have value w/o Culpepper

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do any Minny players have value w/o Culpepper

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:43 pm

Well, they just said he's done for the year on ESPNEWS... :-/

Brad Johnson used to be a "decent" passer in his Tampa days, but he's older now, and his line appears to be swiss cheese.

Does anyone know who Johnson would target? Is anyone worth playing even at home? How will Moore's value be affected?

Good questions! :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby houstonoilers » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:48 pm

I like Moores value and the only guys I think favor this set back would be Wiggens, Moore and M. Robinson. I think thats it in that order.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:00 pm

I would significantly downgrade all Minny players.

I can't believe that someone would say to upgrade the values of Wiggins, Moore, and Robinson. That really makes no sense to me.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:01 pm

I think Brad Johnson will increase the WRs values the most. Johnson will be better at reading defenses and getting it to his WRs than Cpepp was. Chances are, the offense will pick it up from where they are and that includes the running game.

Wiggins value will probably decrease slightly as I doubt Johnson will go to his safety valve as much as Cpepp did. Also - look for Moore to get slightly fewer passes thrown his way for the same reason.

I still wouldnt put too much stock in them improving all that much though because that schedule is still brutal. !+)
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby saundman2000 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:01 pm

My guess is that Paul Edinger will see a lot more action.

But seriously, there will be some WR that will probably have a report with Brad Johnson, but unless you've been attending Vikings practices, you'll probably have to wait to know who that is. Keep your eyes open in week 9 and make a move after that.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby houstonoilers » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:06 pm

I am not saying that Johnson will increase the receivers value but I think you will see a lot more dump passes with a guy that really has no arm. This could help Moore, Wiggens and a big target in Robinson....IMO. I think Johnson throws up similiar numbers to Culpooper minus the fumbles.
Thanks Anx2a for the Custom Sig
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:10 pm

houstonoilers wrote:I am not saying that Johnson will increase the receivers value but I think you will see a lot more dump passes with a guy that really has no arm. This could help Moore, Wiggens and a big target in Robinson....IMO. I think Johnson throws up similiar numbers to Culpooper minus the fumbles.

See - I completely disagree with this. Culpepper was the definition of a dumpoff passer - literally the most prolific dumpoff passer in the NFL. Well over 70% of his throws were at targets less than 10 yds downfield. Brad Johnson is not that kind of a passer.

I guess this goes back to what kind of QB you think Culpepper is. If you thought he was inaccurate and inexperienced, then switching to a veteran QB like Johnson would be an upgrade - especially for the WRs.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:17 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Culpepper was the definition of a dumpoff passer - literally the most prolific dumpoff passer in the NFL. Well over 70% of his throws were at targets less than 10 yds downfield. Brad Johnson is not that kind of a passer.

From Fanball:

"Obviously, Culpepper hadn't played particularly well, but Brad Johnson represents a significant downgrade. Johnson's arm just doesn't have enough zip to spark a downfield passing game, and dump-off passes don't equate to fantasy points. Don't believe me? At halftime of last week's game, head coach Mike Tice said, "the short passing game is what Brad is good at."
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:36 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Culpepper was the definition of a dumpoff passer - literally the most prolific dumpoff passer in the NFL. Well over 70% of his throws were at targets less than 10 yds downfield. Brad Johnson is not that kind of a passer.

From Fanball:

"Obviously, Culpepper hadn't played particularly well, but Brad Johnson represents a significant downgrade. Johnson's arm just doesn't have enough zip to spark a downfield passing game, and dump-off passes don't equate to fantasy points. Don't believe me? At halftime of last week's game, head coach Mike Tice said, "the short passing game is what Brad is good at."

ok.

I'll stick by my reasoning and say Fanall is wrong. It wont be the first time.

I bet Johnson does much better than Cpepp and has a much higher completion % for passes thrown greater than 20 yds. Considering Cpepp's completion % for those ranges, its not like he'll have to do much though as Cpepp was only hitting roughly 25% of those this season.

You never know though - maybe Brad is washed up and cant throw - its not like I've followed him in MIN all that much. I do know however that when he won the Superbowl for TB - he wasnt throwing as many dumpoffs as Cpepp is used to. Sure, TB had the Gruden style of offense which incorporated shorter passes and screens, but Johnson was a heady QB that made the right call and found the open WRs - basically the complete opposite of Daunte "the brain" Culpepper.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bklik » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:53 pm

All I can get from this is Moore's goalline value goes up because dantue wont be running any more keepers this season.
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk