Postpone a trade? How do you handle it? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Postpone a trade? How do you handle it?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postpone a trade? How do you handle it?

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:36 pm

I have never come across this situation in a league before, so I am curious how other owners would handle it -

I proposed a trade a guy this morning and he said he is interested but needs one of his current players this week due to bye weeks. He said to propose the exact same trade next week and he will accept. I need the trade because I am desparate at QB with C-Pepp gone (if that doesn't tell you how desparate I already was... :-o ) and would do it next week, but don't like the holdover. Would you:

A. Agree to trade next week and wait to make the proposal then
B. Cancel the trade and see what next week brings
C. Have him accept the trade immediately after rosters are locked for this week, so the outcome of this week's game doesn't change the trade

I don't like the prospect of just waiting until next week because if his guy blows up or my guy does down to injury the trade will be off. Obviously, this can go both ways with his guy getting hurt but I am taking that chance by making the trade in the first place.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
- Homer J. Simpson
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Teh Jury » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:39 pm

I don't mind the waiting period if both parties agree, but try to get the trade locked in officially ASAP so that neither party can back out.
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jjigglers » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:42 pm

Just make the trade on Saturday. Problem solved.
jjigglers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:46 pm

Either make a deal and have the commish enforce it after the weekend, or cancel the deal and re-propose it next week IF you can't find something comparable in the meantime.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:08 pm

Here is the major thing with trades - You are basically at the mercy of the accepting party if you offer a trade.

Nothing happens until he takes it, and if he doesn't want to take it right now, then that is his choice. No action should be taken until next week if he wants to trade. He has no obligation to reoffer the trade next week either. People manage their teams the way they see fit.

If you need help now, I'd suggest finding someone who will trade with you right now. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:10 pm

Is this a Yahoo league, with a waiting period to accept trades, or just a Commish based kind of thing, or what? I mean, obviously, the sooner it goes through the better for you. If you can get a "legal" commitment from him after the rosters are locked in, I'd say go for it. It can't hurt to ask, right?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Cooner » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:23 pm

i think the best suggestion is just asking him to accept it saturday then. Don't even mention the possibility of injury, etc on Sunday- after all, you're both at risk to that. If he accepts Saturday and deals are subject to some kind of review, the deal won't go through until Tuesday at the earliest, but it WILL be locked in before Sunday.
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VaderFin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:45 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Here is the major thing with trades - You are basically at the mercy of the accepting party if you offer a trade.

Nothing happens until he takes it, and if he doesn't want to take it right now, then that is his choice. No action should be taken until next week if he wants to trade. He has no obligation to reoffer the trade next week either. People manage their teams the way they see fit.

If you need help now, I'd suggest finding someone who will trade with you right now. :-/

Bingo.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk