Car question.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Car question....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Car question....

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:47 pm

My fiance bought a '98 Toyota Camry about 6 months ago, and since that time, we have noticed a rattling coming from the front end that gets steadily worse as time goes by. It is particularly bad when she goes over any type of bump or irregularity in the road. From what I can find on the internet, it seems that the problem is likely the front upper strut mounts. Seems like this is a common problem in Camry's '97-'01. Does anyone else have any experience with this problem? Did you get the mounts replaced? If so, did that fix the problem? How much should I be looking to spend, here? So far I'm getting quotes in the $350 range, is that about right? If I don't fix this problem immediately, what kind of damage could I be doing to the car?

Please help if you know anything about cars, especially Camry's... I'm a little on the uninformed side when it comes to these matters....
Last edited by Plindsey88 on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:54 pm

I actually had a very similiar problem with my 00' Galant. It was a rattling/popping noise coming from the front of the car whenever I hit even the smallest bump in the road. I had it checked out and I turned out to be the "front stabilizer rods" These are just small rods about the size of a ruler. I had it fixed and everything was fine. I don't know if this is your exact problem but I'd thought I'd let you know since it sounds similiar.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:03 pm

Yeah I immediately thought of some piece of suspension whether it be front stablizer brackets/bar control arms or strut mounts. Get it checked out, most garages will do free estimates. this includes the likes of sears NTB and well you know rest.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:24 pm

I agree, it's probably suspension related (probably struts as you suggested), and potentially dangerous.
Other than your significant other, the best person you can know is a good, honest mechanic. Or... at times, if you drink with the mechanic... you can flip that one around.
Anyhow, I'm not "Click and Clack", and can't give you much more help, except to say "get it checked out ASAP."
The work is definately going to need to be done sooner or later, so why risk a potentially dangerous situation. The stress of driving with this problem every day just isn't worth waiting on it any longer.
If you don't already have a preferred mechanic, I would suggest checking out the mom and pop type neighborhood guys. You can probably find some good ratings online for your given community. For the most part they make their living on word of mouth and won't completely screw you on parts and labor like dealers or chains.
Plus, you might be able to drink with them. :-b
Good luck.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby LT Blue Colt » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:27 pm

I work on cars quite a bit in my spare time for friends, family, and myself. The front end on any vehicle, especially a front wheel drive (like your Camry), has many joints, bushings, bearings, and moving parts. Which makes it very difficult for me to tell you exactly what could be wrong with it. But, I can tell you that if it is a rattle you're dealing with, then you should have it checked out pretty quick. When something on a car or truck rattles then you have a loose component that isn't holding well at all. And could very well break or fall off at any time. Not like a little clunk or tiny vibration usally caused from something getting a little wore out. Which can usually be replaced before damage can take place. Rattles should be taken pretty serious as with any strange noise coming from your vehicle. And it could be something simple. Like a loose nut on a plate. Or something that demands a little more attention. I would say your best bet is to take it into a auto repair shop and ask them to look at it. If you ask them to just do an inspection with a quote, then that would solve most of your worries. Let me know how it goes.
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:40 pm

We used to own a 2000 Camry and had something that sounds similar, at least based upon the initial description you put forward.

It turned out to be the catalytic converter loose in its casing. It still functioned properly, we just had to put up with the rattle.

Im not for a minute suggesting that’s what’s wrong with yours and I agree with the opinion that says go get it diagnosed professionally. A Toyota dealer won’t charge you much to diagnose it and if it’s something that needs fixing they usually include the diagnostic in the final price.

Be safe; get it checked by a Toyota dealer. If its something that needs fixing urgently, shop around for the right price.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:12 pm

The advice given here so far is all very good - I will only add that if it is anything loose in the struts or other suspension related issues it is really in your own best interest to get it fixed ASAP. Not really for the dangerous part (I have personal experience as well as lots of friends experience with cars with similar problems that ran without any health issues for a long time with this kind of thing) although I can see it as an issue, but really because with anything loose like this you will get out-of-proportion wear on other parts as well which will end up costing you a bundle if you delay in getting this repair done...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:00 am

You need a new Johnson Rod.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner