This is why nobody trades in my league... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

This is why nobody trades in my league...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:46 pm

jayday wrote:my bad knapp....didnt know you were trading draft picks.....

No worries! :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Halcyon » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:28 pm

Well, it's still a terrible trade, but in his defense he's not asking for Tomlinson NOW. He's asking for Tomlinson after the season; in the meantime, you get Gates for nothing, which should give you a great chance to win the league.

Like I said, it's still terrible, but it's not exactly Gates-for-Tomlinson straight up.
Halcyon Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ActiOnJunkie76 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:44 pm

I feel bad for this guy, his keeper RBs are ugly!!!!!!! Now i know why he said he might keep gates......
Record 8-2-0 PF 960 12 Team Leauge
basic scoring
1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 1 TE 1 DST

QB Brees/E.Manning*
RB EDGE*
RB R.Brown*/M.Barber/G.Jones/C.taylor
WR T.Holt*
WR R.Moss*/Engram/R.Brown
TE J.WItten*
K N.Reckers*
DST Bears*
ActiOnJunkie76
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CC » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:50 pm

knapplc wrote:
ActiOnJunkie76 wrote:well, whos his keepers, its not a bad trade, if he has two solid running backs right now, he could use that second round pick to build a really solid team next year.. 1 first round pick and 2 second round picks.....

Good question. This year he kept Dillon and CMart. He's talking about keeping Gates next year but that's BS. There's no way you keep a TE, even one as productive as Gates, over two of his RBs:

Dillon
CMart
R Williams
Bettis

Of that list I keep Dillon and CMart/Williams, depending on how Ricky does the rest of the year.

Nobody else on his roster is worth keeping.

I would definitely consider keeping Gates, both Dillon and C-Mart are getting old (while I would keep them over him now, you don't know how the season will end) and Bettis and Ricky would make terrible keepers.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby danleroi22 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:28 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:My league is the same way.

Everyone overvalues their own players and thinks your players are worthless.

My situation exactly... and I hate it.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:22 pm

Halcyon wrote:Well, it's still a terrible trade, but in his defense he's not asking for Tomlinson NOW. He's asking for Tomlinson after the season; in the meantime, you get Gates for nothing, which should give you a great chance to win the league.

Like I said, it's still terrible, but it's not exactly Gates-for-Tomlinson straight up.

does anyone else think this offered trade is a form of collusion? To me it's and I help you this year you help me next year type of trade. This trade wouldn't even be allowed in my league.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:29 pm

You made a smart move assuming you are contention, give up the future for now. He's just being an ignorant owner, screw him and trade with some one else.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:26 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:does anyone else think this offered trade is a form of collusion? To me it's and I help you this year you help me next year type of trade. This trade wouldn't even be allowed in my league.

By that measuring stick all trades would be a form of collusion.

This kind of trade is very common in a baseball league I'm in with this same owner. You trade me Player A. I'll trade you Player B now who is some crappy player but who will fill a roster spot through the rest of the year. AFTER the season is over I'll trade you Player C, who you really want but who I want to use for the rest of the year to win the title.

The trade is essentially Player A for Player C, but I get the benefit of both Player A and Player C for the rest of the year. The league works very well with these kinds of trades because ALL aspects of the trade - players now, players later, draft picks later - are disclosed to the whole league before the trade is approved.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:01 pm

knapplc wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:does anyone else think this offered trade is a form of collusion? To me it's and I help you this year you help me next year type of trade. This trade wouldn't even be allowed in my league.

By that measuring stick all trades would be a form of collusion.

This kind of trade is very common in a baseball league I'm in with this same owner. You trade me Player A. I'll trade you Player B now who is some crappy player but who will fill a roster spot through the rest of the year. AFTER the season is over I'll trade you Player C, who you really want but who I want to use for the rest of the year to win the title.

The trade is essentially Player A for Player C, but I get the benefit of both Player A and Player C for the rest of the year. The league works very well with these kinds of trades because ALL aspects of the trade - players now, players later, draft picks later - are disclosed to the whole league before the trade is approved.

THAT'S COLLUSION!!! I couldn't have explained the trade any better myself. Thats shuffling players through 2 rosters in different years. It's crazy to not see that.

The trade is essentially LT for Gates...But owner B is allowing him to use LT for the remainder of the season so he can win a championship. THAT'S collusion.

how would feel if the LT owner was out of it. and 'rented' LT out to another owner for a 3rd round draft pick next year. But the deal hindered on him trading LT back to him at the end of the year for a 5th round pick. Thats renting out players and it's collusion.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:25 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:THAT'S COLLUSION!!! I couldn't have explained the trade any better myself. Thats shuffling players through 2 rosters in different years. It's crazy to not see that.

The trade is essentially LT for Gates...But owner B is allowing him to use LT for the remainder of the season so he can win a championship. THAT'S collusion.

how would feel if the LT owner was out of it. and 'rented' LT out to another owner for a 3rd round draft pick next year. But the deal hindered on him trading LT back to him at the end of the year for a 5th round pick. Thats renting out players and it's collusion.

The main thing preventing this from being collusion is that our leagues prohibit teams from trading a player back to the other team for one calendar year. So if I trade you LT for Gates today, I can't trade Gates back to you until 11/2/06. The only way you can have Gates back on your roster prior to 11/2/06 is if I cut him and you pick him up off the free agent list. The odds of that happening are slim and none. The other key is that I have to give fair value for whoever I get, so a trade of LT for Gates straight up isn't going to happen. The owner trading Gates is going to have to give up draft picks (plural) for a guy like LT.

We're not rookies - we've been doing trades like this for 17 years. There has never been an allegation of collusion in our league.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk