Hines Ward Best all around - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hines Ward Best all around

Moderator: Football Moderators

Hines Ward Best all around

Postby Shockers » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:46 pm

Granted I am a Steeler fan so my opinion is biased, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Hines Ward plays the game the way you would want to show your own kids how to play.

This is a quote from writer Matt Waldman of FFToday:

Hines Ward should be a first-ballot Hall of Fame receiver when his career is over. I know this is premature, but can you name another player in football today that seems to do something extra special on just about every play? I’m not talking about Ladainian Tomlinson kind of stuff, either.

I’m talking about the little plays. It could be a 4-yard reception like this evening, where he scooped up the ball while falling forward and made a first down that most receivers would have dropped. Or it could be the first down reception where he had to play tip-drill with an all-pro corner back before getting nailed in the chin by a safety after winning the ball. Of course, it’s also the blocks that force his opponents feet from their cleats and the runs after the catch where he wills himself down field regardless of the hit, the angles, or the pull hamstring.

Hines Ward could never reach a Super Bowl or significant statistical plateau within his position, but nearly every play he makes epitomizes what is great about football. You may not be a Steelers fan, but if you don’t appreciate how Ward plays the game then you need to watch more (and get a football tutor, while you’re at it). If you don’t agree, I don’t care—you just don’t get it. And if it turns out I don’t get it, then I don’t want to figure it out.
Anyone here collect football cards??? PM me for some great trading sites online.
Shockers
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:16 pm

Well said.

I've been saying to my dad the past few weeks my favorite Rec's are Hines and Marvin.

Hines is downright nasty. Not in a bad way but this guy blocks like no other reciever in the game. He comes in motion to lead block for Parker or Bettis. Hits people gaining an extra 1-2 instead of going out of bounds. Gets the crowd into it. Not afraid to make that tough catch diving, over the middle, or into a spearing safety like last night.

Loves the game and the competitive spirit. I see him and a CB blocking the hell out of each other and after the play both guys are smiling and jawing at each other.

Class act in my opinion. I don't think there are too many other guys I'd want on my team over him if the strategy was ball control. He does it all and I sure hope he gets in the Hall.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby petedog9 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:30 pm

That smile is contagious!!! I love how he can get drilled like last night on that tip catch where he took a lick.... He jumped up with the biggest smile on his face!!!

He is the man!!
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jh2031 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:33 pm

I'm a Steelers fan so i'm biased also but when he wanted a new contract asking for M. Harrison money i didn't really think he was worth all that money...my tune has changed. Hines is a great player and a great team guy. He's probably the toughest guy in the NFL...never backs down frome anyone. He's a true Steeler for LIFE!
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby CC » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:40 pm

I give Hines Ward a ton of credit, he is a great WR and all-around football player. But anyone who says he is the top WR in the NFL is wrong. He doesn't take over games like a TO or Moss. Sure, blocking is great, but when everyone gameplans to stop one player and he still gets it done, they are a better WR than someone who gets his numbers when teams are trying to stop the Steelers punishing run game.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Shockers » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:44 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I give Hines Ward a ton of credit, he is a great WR and all-around football player. But anyone who says he is the top WR in the NFL is wrong.

Nobody said he was the top WR. Not everything revolves around a players fantasy statistics year in and year out.
Anyone here collect football cards??? PM me for some great trading sites online.
Shockers
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jayday » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:45 pm

agreed....even as a bengals fan, hines is an all around great player....he blocks like a tight end on the outside...def a key to their running game....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby CC » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Shockers wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I give Hines Ward a ton of credit, he is a great WR and all-around football player. But anyone who says he is the top WR in the NFL is wrong.

Nobody said he was the top WR. Not everything revolves around a players fantasy statistics year in and year out.

I'm not saying specifically in this thread, but I hear this all the time by people who want to sound like they really know football better than the average joe. I'm aware that things don't revolve around fantasy numbers but I'm saying that throwing blocks and taking big hits doesn't account for not dominating and being the focus of a team and putting up 300 more yards and 5 more TDs.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:56 pm

Ward is a great player, but IMO the "best all around WR" in the game right now is TO. Ward is a great all around player, but TO's size and game breaking ability more than make up for any edge Ward may have over him when it comes to blocking.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jh2031 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:27 pm

9er Fan wrote:Ward is a great player, but IMO the "best all around WR" in the game right now is TO. Ward is a great all around player, but TO's size and game breaking ability more than make up for any edge Ward may have over him when it comes to blocking.

Key words here are "best all around WR"

He's the best all around WR because he can catch, run, block, intimidate, and some people say he can't take over a game...i disagree. He can take over a game given the oppurtunity. Hines doesn't shine as much as TO and the others because he's on a run offense which may pass the ball 20 times a game, *game against Ravens was the highest they'll go to, 30.* The Eagles passed it 50 + times 2 weeks ago! It all depends on what YOU consider important at the WR spot. I like Hines because he's a team guy...TO is not although he is great.
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk