Hines Ward Best all around - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hines Ward Best all around

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:00 pm

Hines Ward is probably the most entertaining WR to watch in the NFL. He's not even close to the best WR though, I think people confuse likability with talent.

The guy is tough, he makes tough catches, he makes tough yards, and he plays tough in general. But he is not a gamebreaking talent. If you can't burn a DB 40 yards down the sideline and/or require double coverage on any given play, you can't be considered the best.

Oh BTW, the Best WR in the NFL right now is Steve Smith.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tag72 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:29 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Hines Ward is probably the most entertaining WR to watch in the NFL. He's not even close to the best WR though, I think people confuse likability with talent.

The guy is tough, he makes tough catches, he makes tough yards, and he plays tough in general. But he is not a gamebreaking talent. If you can't burn a DB 40 yards down the sideline and/or require double coverage on any given play, you can't be considered the best.

Oh BTW, the Best WR in the NFL right now is Steve Smith.

Nobody on here said he was the best WR in the NFL. Best all around WR is what was said. And H.Ward can make big plays. He had an 80 plus yard TD early this year, I think it was against NE. Plus some of the catches and extra yards he gets, although not huge runs for TD's can be considered big plays. As for the best WR in the NFL, as much as I dont like him, I would say TO. When he comes to play, he comes to play. He can turn nothing into something. Also when he so chooses he will play through injury. As for this week, I dont know if he is hurting that bad as he said he wont be able to play this week and possibly next week. He could be hurt, or it could be a jab at Philly management for not giving him his contract.
tag72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jh2031 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:52 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
tag72 wrote:Maybe post the poll, or some players quotes on Ward being dirty. I would like to see how they think he is being dirty. I have seen him lay some hard hits. But maybe if there are some examples of his dirty play on here i will know what to watch for.

Hines Ward is the undisputed king of cutting DBs...the dude throws TONS of questionable blocks...cutting guys at the knees...from the front, side...he'll do it all. I've heard he throws tons of forearms too...anywhere that you let him...he'll smack you with a forearm. Shoulder, neck...anywhere.

Here's the POLL.

Here are some quotes:

"Browns CB Corey Fuller...accused Hines Ward and the Steelers of playing dirty and taking cheap shots during Sunday's game in Cleveland. This stems from an incident in which Ward knocked out Fuller's teammate/boyfriend Earl Little with a crushing block. Little suffered a concussion and was carried off the field on a stretcher."

Hines Ward said about Rod Woodson: ""Then, he told me he didn't appreciate the way I played the game. He called me a dirty player. He didn't like the way I blocked him. I had cut him pretty good on a run by Amos [Zereoue]. He got up ticked off. He said I tried to hurt him."

Awwww, can't the those tough NFL players handle Hines? Don't hate him cause he plays a mean football like it was played before all this crying.
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bklik » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:12 pm

Ward spikes the ball every time he gets a touch, its so entertaining.
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby gablefan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:17 pm

I think BH is jealous his team doesn't have the best WR in the state!
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jh2031 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:22 pm

I also love how BH post all the bad stuff about Hines how he's a dirty player. TO can't even get along with his QB and they still have a dispute on what happened in the huddle last year in the super bowl....do Ben and Hines ever argue?
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:25 pm

TO still produces with his qb.

I think the dirty stuff is relevant, as is attitude. But honestly, Its hard to say he is the best all around. He is the best at blocking, but that's not everything.

The drop off from hines' blocking to TO is no where near the drop off of to's gamebreaking ability relative to hines.

I'd say the best right now is smith -- but to and moss are clearly the elite when healthy etc. hines' little things don't outweigh the big things the other guys do.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:29 pm

jh2031 wrote:I also love how BH post all the bad stuff about Hines how he's a dirty player. TO can't even get along with his QB and they still have a dispute on what happened in the huddle last year in the super bowl....do Ben and Hines ever argue?

If someone posts "I would like to see how they think he is being dirty" and I respond with quotes (one from Hines Ward himself) and a Sports Illustrated poll, how is that considered devious?

You people love to try to shoot me down. It's tough being on the top...I have to deal with all the haters.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jh2031 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:01 pm

eaglesrule wrote:TO still produces with his qb.

I think the dirty stuff is relevant, as is attitude. But honestly, Its hard to say he is the best all around. He is the best at blocking, but that's not everything.

The drop off from hines' blocking to TO is no where near the drop off of to's gamebreaking ability relative to hines.

I'd say the best right now is smith -- but to and moss are clearly the elite when healthy etc. hines' little things don't outweigh the big things the other guys do.

Once again...someone states Hines just doesn't have that gamebreaking ability. IT'S STRITCLY A RUNNING TEAM!! Hines doesn't run deep routes...he's not used as that kind of receiver. He COULD do it if he needed to but that's not what Cowher and CO. want him to do. And TO his whole career has been on strictly PASSING teams...i don't think it's fair to compare stats, two totally different situations.

And to BrutallyHuge...i'm not "hating" on you. I just think most the NFL players now are a bunch of babies and get their panties in a bunch when a WR like Hines lays them out...and they can't handle the truth that they got handled so they say he plays dirty.
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:25 pm

eaglesrule wrote:TO still produces with his qb.

Very well said. I agree with just about everything, assuming we're talking about Steve Smith. :-D

Ward is a very good blocker. And I think some players/fans take it as dirty because there just are not many WRs who will come out and do that stuff. It catches them off guard and they don't know how to react, except to call it cheap. Now sure he throws some iffy blocks, but I think every player in the league will at one point or another.

Ward is not the best WR in the game. Disregarding his attitude TO is. He doesn't drop many passes, always makes the big play, and above all he is amazing with the ball in his hands. He doesn't run out of bounds much, but rather takes on tacklers trying to make them miss or go through them. He can also burn the secondary as well. I don't like him as a person but when it comes to being a reciever there are not many better if any at this point.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk