Hines Ward Best all around - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hines Ward Best all around

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:03 pm

tag72 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Hines Ward is probably the most entertaining WR to watch in the NFL. He's not even close to the best WR though, I think people confuse likability with talent.

The guy is tough, he makes tough catches, he makes tough yards, and he plays tough in general. But he is not a gamebreaking talent. If you can't burn a DB 40 yards down the sideline and/or require double coverage on any given play, you can't be considered the best.

Oh BTW, the Best WR in the NFL right now is Steve Smith.

Nobody on here said he was the best WR in the NFL. Best all around WR is what was said.

I don't get how the two are different.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tag72 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:13 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
tag72 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Hines Ward is probably the most entertaining WR to watch in the NFL. He's not even close to the best WR though, I think people confuse likability with talent.

The guy is tough, he makes tough catches, he makes tough yards, and he plays tough in general. But he is not a gamebreaking talent. If you can't burn a DB 40 yards down the sideline and/or require double coverage on any given play, you can't be considered the best.

Nobody on here said he was the best WR in the NFL. Best all around WR is what was said.

Difference is that you dont have to be the best in any 1 category. Sure Ward isnt the best offensive threat in the league. He just does everything very well. Thats where the term best all around comes in. If you are talking pure offensive talent guys like TO etc are better. But they dont block, play through pain, coach the young guys general good team attitude like Hines does.
tag72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:16 pm

<peeks head in>

Hines Ward sucks!

<runs for life>
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jh2031 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:41 pm

J2thez929 wrote:<peeks head in>

Hines Ward sucks!

<runs for life>

lol, :-b :-)
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:46 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
tag72 wrote:

I agree... best all around WR in the NFL = best WR in the NFL.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby jh2031 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:01 pm

9er Fan wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
tag72 wrote:

I agree... best all around WR in the NFL = best WR in the NFL.

There is a difference between best all around and best WR. Hines is the best overall because he does everything...not just catch the ball, jesus, i hate repeating myself. The best WR is the guy who can change a game by making a big play like a TO, Moss, Smith, ect....
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:38 pm

To doesn't block or play through pain? WHAT? I guess you didn't watch the super bowl last year.

Perhaps the steelers are a running team -- except the year with maddox, when they weren't. And while pretyt damn good, ward still didn't show the stuff, cj, smith, moss and TO did.

And yea, best all around might be a little different than best, but still not buying it. TO's elite production outdistances Ward by a good margin, more than ward's other stuff outdistances TO. If you could break the skills down by average, I bet TO and Moss' come out higher, and smith blows them away.

quite simply, a block is not as improtant as a td or first down catch, even though it is important. I think "the little things" are being over weighted in this debate.

Ward is a good player, definitely in the top wr's, but let's not be silly either.

BTW, last time I checked TO goes through the middle etc.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:37 pm

Pete123444 wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:Here you go Petey:

Ward
'01 - 94 rec, 1003yds, TDs
'02 - 112rec, 1329yds, 12 TDs
'03 - 95rec, 1163yds, 10 TDs

Owens
'01 - 93rec, 1412yds, 16 TDs
'02 - 100rec, 1300yds, 13 TDs
'03 - 80rec, 1102yds, 9 TDs

Moss
'01 - 82rec, 1233yds, 10TDs
'02 - 106rec, 1347yds, 7TDs
'03 - 111rec, 1632yds, 17TDs

Harrison
'01 - 109rec, 1524yds, 15TDs
'02 - 143rec, 1722yds, 11TDs
'03 - 94rec, 1272yds, 10TDs

What does this prove? Nothing other than the fact that I am bored with too much time on my hands....

I don't know what the TD's were between TO and Ward because you left ward's 2001 TD's out. BUt looking at yards only, during that 3 year period, TO averaged 6 more yards per game while Ward averaged about 1 more reception per game. Throw in the distractions with TO and the extras you get with Ward, I'll definitely take Ward!

It's easy (and convenient for you) to discount last season because TO dominated (1400 and 12 in 14 games) and Ward was pretty weak (1000 and 4).

I can guarantee you that if the Steelers had TO they would throw downfield a hell of a lot more than they do with Ward, probably because TO makes more plays downfield for big scores.

And how can you maintain Ward had a better game this week because TO had big plays that didn't eat up the clock. Down 28-0 (or at any score) it is stupid to not take the ball to the house when you can because you want to eat up the clock.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cardiac cats » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:49 pm

I agree with kensat here.... steve smith is the best WR in football right now. I'd even say best all around- he's a good run blocker, has sick gamebreaking ability, plays with no fear, will talk trash but back it up(how you doing fred smoot), has some of the best TD celelbrations, and even returns punts. SO, Yes I believe Steve Smith is a better all around player than hines ward..... damn, I love the panthers ;-)
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby CC » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:05 pm

Steve Smith has been amazing this year. I think he is the best in the game right now.

Anyone else think Delhomme has become the new (and much better) Jeff Blake? He's keys on one WR and they get crazy stats.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk