Welcome to The Suck! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Welcome to The Suck!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:42 am

Being a man once in the Corps, I'm extremely looking forward to this flick. and so as not to get this thread into best war movie ever
http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/v ... hlight=war
Just thought this might be somewhat insightful.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:46 am

From what I'm reading, Jarhead looks like a lot of talking and not a lot of action (hope I'm wrong). I thought Saving Private Ryan had a good combination of both. Of course there wasn't a tremendous amount of action in the Gulf War anyway so it'd be hard for the movie to pretend there was.

Jarhead looks promising but I'm hoping it's not a bunch of guys sitting around talking about the meaning of life and death. It sounds like the acting is very good. I'll be interested to see what everybody thinks of it.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:56 am

I'm just having a hard time buying into the Bubble Boy and Ray as Marines. Both are good actors, but I guess it's just what you remember them as gets stuck there and makes it hard to see them as anything else.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby footballchick23 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:59 am

logan wrote:also if you are talkin best war flicks these two come to mind as some of the best Kelly's Heroes and Dirty Dozen. both are classic war films. ;-D

I love Dirty Dozen! Alkaholic pretty much hit all the good ones...watched Deer Hunter the other day....such an intense movie!

I recommend Paths of Glory...directed by Kubrick and stars Kirk Douglas. Not too gory or anything, but it's a great story and it's filmed really well (B&W...lots of good shadows and stuff).
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:11 am

footballchick23 wrote:
logan wrote:also if you are talkin best war flicks these two come to mind as some of the best Kelly's Heroes and Dirty Dozen. both are classic war films. ;-D

I love Dirty Dozen! Alkaholic pretty much hit all the good ones...watched Deer Hunter the other day....such an intense movie!

I recommend Paths of Glory...directed by Kubrick and stars Kirk Douglas. Not too gory or anything, but it's a great story and it's filmed really well (B&W...lots of good shadows and stuff).

Anything Kubric does is worth a watch...and leave the LSD at home kiddos, there's plenty here to trip on without any drugs. that man was crazy.

But like homeless said, Sam Mendez directing makes me want to go see this. You know it is going to be a quality piece of art. Not some piece of crap made to get easy money. It will be thoughtful and thought provoking at the same time i am sure.
But isn't it a little early for a social commentary on the Iraqi war? I don't know.

Hey RW, what's the deal with "jarhead" why is that a derrogatory term for a marine?

By the way, Apocalypse Now is the best war movie ever.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:21 am

moonhead wrote:Hey RW, what's the deal with "jarhead" why is that a derrogatory term for a marine?

It's not really derogatory, it's basically a comment on the hair cut and thick neck of marines.

and yeah appocalypse now re deux is kick ass . . . "Do you smell that?
Napalm son nothing in the world smells like it" Robert Duvals character gives me the wood, not that i'm gay or anyting and not that there's anything wrong with that, he just locked down that roll to a tee.
Image[/quote]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:24 am

Redskins Win wrote:
moonhead wrote:Hey RW, what's the deal with "jarhead" why is that a derrogatory term for a marine?

It's not really derogatory, it's basically a comment on the hair cut and thick neck of marines.

Napalm son nothing in the world smells like it" Robert Duvals character gives me the wood, not that i'm gay or anyting and not that there's anything wrong with that, he just locked down that roll to a tee.

cool, well, i've just heard stories about marines kicking someone's ass after they called them a jarhead.

i'm not worried about you being gay RW...but you can't come over to my house anymore.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:37 am

moonhead wrote:
i'm not worried about you being gay RW...but you can't come over to my house anymore.

At least not to watch Apocalypse Now!
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:38 am

moonhead wrote:
cool, well, i've just heard stories about marines kicking someone's ass after they called them a jarhead.

:-D Marines will kick ass whether you call them a jarhead or not. When you're trained as one of the fiercest fighting units in the world you tend to do what you're trained to do.

My three uncles and five of my cousins were marines. Toughest hombres I've ever met, and when I was growing up I idolized them all.

I'm just glad they're on our side. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:51 am

moonhead wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:

Well I guess civilians can be disrespectful, and marines in general have very short fuses. But marines can refer to one another as Jarheads it's all in good fun.

I was really looking forward to coming over, i'll even bring the nuts.
Image[/quote]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk