Welcome to The Suck!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Tiki » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:23 pm

HOO-RAH
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:23 pm

PS STP has the good Shee. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JtotheF » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:31 am

You guys might wanna read the book before seeing the movie, or at least be aware of it, so as not to be surprised by its content (check out the synposis)...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743244915/104-9007048-5912761?v=glance
JtotheF
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:42 am

JtotheF wrote:You guys might wanna read the book before seeing the movie, or at least be aware of it, so as not to be surprised by its content (check out the synposis)...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743244915/104-9007048-5912761?v=glance

There are some harsh criticisms about the author there. One critique sounds like a kid wanting more "blood & guts" but the others (after the first) are very unimpressed by what they read.

It also sounds like the move deviates more than significantly from the book. Hollywood ruins another great story? Here's hoping not...
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:43 pm

JtotheF wrote:You guys might wanna read the book before seeing the movie, or at least be aware of it, so as not to be surprised by its content (check out the synposis)...

In my experience there has not been a movie yet that I would want to read the book first if I had the option... Reading the book AFTER maybe, but first is a definite no-no if you truly want to enjoy the movie...

Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended versions for all three) was the only one that even came close and that still butchered a bunch of important (to me at least) plot lines along the way for Hollywood convenience...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:09 pm

lmcjaho wrote:

In my experience there has not been a movie yet that I would want to read the book first if I had the option... Reading the book AFTER maybe, but first is a definite no-no if you truly want to enjoy the movie...

Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended versions for all three) was the only one that even came close and that still butchered a bunch of important (to me at least) plot lines along the way for Hollywood convenience...

As a Tolkien junkie as a kid I see and understand the gripes about things being cut out of the trilogy, but for christ's sake (aww's and jesus's) popular culture is not ready for a 4.5 hour flick...although the tolkien fans definitely would be. but you can't make a monstrosity like that for a niche audience. i'm not saying that you're advocating such a thing, i'm just saying in general.

however, i disagree with your stance on appreciation of the artistic medium. i think you should enjoy the written medium before the visual one. i think that opens up new avenues for me, like if i was directing, how i would have done something differently and such...but i'm a strange dude.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:47 pm

I personally think it looks great, planning on watching it in theatres when it comes out ;-D
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:48 pm

moonhead wrote:As a Tolkien junkie as a kid I see and understand the gripes about things being cut out of the trilogy, but for christ's sake (aww's and jesus's) popular culture is not ready for a 4.5 hour flick...although the tolkien fans definitely would be. but you can't make a monstrosity like that for a niche audience. i'm not saying that you're advocating such a thing, i'm just saying in general.

I understand the idea that the average moviegoer does not have the attention span necessary to make the movie EXACTLY like the books, and I think they did a better job than expected for the most part, but there were a number of little things that they butchered which pissed me off because they didn't really have anything to do with cutting time out of the movie or anything like that but just seemed to be some arbitrary decisions on the movie-makers part to change the stories... But I digress, this is an entirely different line of discussion and I have been over it many times on other boards to the point that I have fallen into a rut of repetition about it so I'll just drop it instead...

moonhead wrote:however, i disagree with your stance on appreciation of the artistic medium. i think you should enjoy the written medium before the visual one. i think that opens up new avenues for me, like if i was directing, how i would have done something differently and such...but i'm a strange dude.

If you have ever made the mistake of reading a Tom Clancy novel and then watching a movie that is supposed to be about the novel you would not disagree with me...

Oh yeah - the other flick I saw and then read the book after that the movie stayed pretty true to was BlackHawk Down...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby eaglesfan » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:13 am

did anyone see it? I saw it yesterday thought it was great!
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby footballchick23 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:02 pm

lmcjaho wrote:If you have ever made the mistake of reading a Tom Clancy novel and then watching a movie that is supposed to be about the novel you would not disagree with me...

No kidding...I don't even bother watching the movies anymore...love Clancy books but absolutely despise the movies. The only decent ones were with Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan, but then again I've always had a thing for Ford.

The fact that Affleck and Damon have played title characters is enough to deter me.

Kubrick does a pretty good job of adapting books into screenplays...most of his movies are based on books.

I though the first Lord of the Rings captured the imagery pretty well, but I can't think of many other books-turned-movies that were really exceptional.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk