Free Month of WWE 24/7... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Free Month of WWE 24/7...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The_Dude » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:24 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:I thought Bart Gunn won the toughman contest? Maybe he just got to the final and lost. I seem to remember someone losing because the other guy was getting points for taking him down instead of actually fighting. WIMP! ;-7

All I know is that Bart knocked Dr. Death into next week in the first round (and the ref!). :-b

Yeah I remember that Dr Death (steve williams) getting cold knocked out by Bart. I may be wrong about bradshaw but it's too many braincells ago.

Bart Gunn won the contest and so then they set up a tough man fight with the Super Heavyweight Tough Man champ, Butterbean, and Bart got knocked the F' out at Wrestlemania that year.

The entire contest was a disaster because they had intended to put Dr. Death and Dan Severn (from UFC) over with the contest as they were legit wrestlers. But the wrestlers had a hard time competing because they required them to wear boxing gloves.

Beyond that, almost the entire roster who competed ended up getting injured (Godfather, Dr. Death, Bradshaw and others), and then the whole thing came to an embarassing end when Bart was absolutely owned by Butterbean at Wrestlemania.

After that, Bradshaw was a member of the Acolytes, a tag team with Ron Simmons that started as being part of the Undertakers (ultra lame ass) posse.

The WWE as we know it, though, came crashing down when they overtook WCW and had the opportunity to do the merge and they bungled the whole thing by not being able to sign the top guys and basically putting all the WWF guys over on the WCW guys. It was an absolute disaster... when they finally were able to bring Goldberg and the nWo guys in, no one cared anymore. And, within 2 weeks, Scott Hall got drunk on an airplane and was fired. The whole thing was a fiasco. The only good thing that came out of it was that Hogan vs. Rock matchup where the Canadian fans made Hogan a face and Rock a heel in one match.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:01 pm

I must say one thing for Canadian wrestling fans...they are pretty hot for the big matches, and they put out good signs in the crowd. Most of the days when my friend and I write down 9-10 funny signs from RAW it is from a Canadian show. ;-D

WWE went down as soon as they turned into WWE with the E for entertainment being the focus of the show instead of the W for wrestling. The most recent title holders (Cena, Batista) are AWFUL wrestlers that have 2 moves, but the problem is that the average wrestling watcher likes those guys even though they can't wrestle. It's all about the mic skills and presence instead of the way they wrestle.

Christian just quit the WWE...and he was a pretty good wrestler. The problem is that he knew he was never going to get anywhere in the company. You have to be a puppet to HHH or McMahon and either be 6' 10" or appeal to the ladies in order to be champion now. :-t
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:33 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I must say one thing for Canadian wrestling fans...they are pretty hot for the big matches, and they put out good signs in the crowd. Most of the days when my friend and I write down 9-10 funny signs from RAW it is from a Canadian show. ;-D

WWE went down as soon as they turned into WWE with the E for entertainment being the focus of the show instead of the W for wrestling. The most recent title holders (Cena, Batista) are AWFUL wrestlers that have 2 moves, but the problem is that the average wrestling watcher likes those guys even though they can't wrestle. It's all about the mic skills and presence instead of the way they wrestle.

Christian just quit the WWE...and he was a pretty good wrestler. The problem is that he knew he was never going to get anywhere in the company. You have to be a puppet to HHH or McMahon and either be 6' 10" or appeal to the ladies in order to be champion now. :-t

Canadians are the best wrestling fans, period. Its actually a really big deal in Canada to be a big wrestling star - Bret Hart was treated as a demi-God, and you still cannot have a WWF event in the Great White North without a "You Screwed Bret" chant starting up. While I am of the opinion that Bret screwed Bret in the infamous 1997 Survivor Series, I love the tenacity of the Canadian fans.

While I'm not all that excited about the ring-work of Cena and Batista, I at least respect the fact that the company was trying to establish new big-time stars. The reason that WWF beat the WCW in the ratings war was that WCW never truly believed that the WWF could actually develop former WCW midcarders - Stunning Steve Austin and Cactus Jack - into wrestling personas more popular than Hogan, Hall, Nash, Macho Man, Lex Luger, Sting and Ric Flair. And Bischoff and Ted were dead-ass-wrong!

So, the WWF did the right thing by trying to put someone over on the McMahon son-in-law (HHH), but frankly, no one has come along who so wholly captured the attention of the fans like Austin, Rock and Mick did in the late-90s, or like the nWo and Goldberg did in the 1997-98. They tried to push Benoit and Eddie, great in-ring workers, but neither of them had the mic skills (especially Benoit) to carry the company. The two guys, in my opinion, who had the most talent, have been driven out by lame angles (Jericho and Christian). And JBL??? I just don't get it.

Frankly, I think the entire multiple brand concept has flopped and the WWF should go back to the drawing board by having one flag-ship show with ALL of the top wrestlers on it. Monday Night Raw should be the IT show for WWF. Smackdown should be a 1-hour scrubs show (like Sunday night Heat used to be), and they should do recap shows on the weekend. WWF overestimated the size and commitment of their market. The college students who bought into the concept in 1997-2000 all have jobs now and can't/won't possibly commit to 4 hours of television a week.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Previous

Return to General Talk