Commissioner in a pickle - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Commissioner in a pickle

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby pangbones » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:53 am

Teh Jury wrote:I don't know man.. no foul play is involved, so that is good. However there comes a time when a trade has to be vetoed because it simply is such a bad trade that it "ruins the balance/competitiveness of the league" so to speak.

That trade is terrible, and it should not go through. Trades like this are why people invented the "veto".
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:09 am

I'm usually against the veto, but this is a great example of why you would veto a trade. Seems like this guy is trying to do what you said - give the Commish a bad trade so later he can make a bad trade with dad and have leverage on getting it approved.

Post the details of the trade to the rest of the league and ask them to vote. This is YOUR league, not mine, so what your owners are willing to allow may be different. Let them know what's going on and keep everything above-board.

I can tell you that in my league, this would have no chance of approval.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:14 am

I'm usually the guy saying that if it's not collusion than it doesn't get vetoed. However, in this case, a terribly lopsided trade is reason enough. Especially if there a trend, tendancy for an owner to do this. VETO or vote for veto. But first have the guy giving up CJ and DD explain why he thinks this trade would benefit him.
Besides if it's father and son trading, there is a whiff of collusion.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:34 am

This is the first time anyone has ever shown me a trade that should be vetoed that didn't involve collusion. I don't think I have ever voted in favor of a veto, but this one absolutely cannot be allowed. There is something fishy, and I honestly don't think something this bad would be offered if there wasn't some type of collusion.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Teh Jury » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:52 am

pangbones wrote:
Teh Jury wrote:I don't know man.. no foul play is involved, so that is good. However there comes a time when a trade has to be vetoed because it simply is such a bad trade that it "ruins the balance/competitiveness of the league" so to speak.

That trade is terrible, and it should not go through. Trades like this are why people invented the "veto".

I don't know if you're quoting me because you're trying to prove something to me... :-?

I hate it when I go to check up on my team and I see a pending trade in which one team is obviously the primary beneficiary, but you can't just veto a trade because it's a bad trade. However, if it crosses the line of, like I said, disturbing the competitive balance of the league, then it'll have to be slain by the Commish. I don't think the trade is as bad as it's being made out to be, as both Terry Glenn and Heath Miller have shown to be quality fantasy players this year. I would suspect a BS trade if the guy getting Heath already has a TE, Crumpler as someone indicated.
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Horizons » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:54 am

Off with their heads....! :-t :-t
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby HoleInTheWallGang » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:01 pm

I think that if he is trying to make this trade to achieve leverage later on, then it IS collusion. It just hasn't happened yet. Sounds like BS to me. :-t
HoleInTheWallGang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby allmotorjunkie » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:42 pm

that trade is ridiculous with a capital R. No way that trade gets accepted if the commish wants everyone to return next year.
allmotorjunkie
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:21 pm

HoleInTheWallGang wrote:I think that if he is trying to make this trade to achieve leverage later on, then it IS collusion. It just hasn't happened yet. Sounds like BS to me. :-t

From what I read in the original post, this is what is EXPECTED to happen, not the reality of the situation. If I was the commish in this situation however I woud reject it to keep the integrity of the league in tact. Obviously the other owner has had a checkered past and at the end of the season the league needs to review his past and possibly get him and his dad out of the league. Your just going to be dealing with this yr in and yr out. Perhaps ask him the reason he wants to do this deal?

About the trade itself: Heath Miller is right now on fire. Perhaps he is a Pitt fan. 4 touchdowns in 5 games I believe? I dont see Crumpler putting up those kind of numbers. Glenn is a solid WR as well but has to contend for touches in that offense. Davis is also a solid back but that Houston offense is dreadful and defenses simply key in on Davis and limit his yards and have Carr beat them through the air. CJ, def a top 3 WR. I dont see the trade being overly unfair but considering his past, I would have to reject it personally.

All in all, I wouldnt even give him the chance to acheive leverage later on if that is truly what the commish is thinking will happen. Maintain the integrity of the league and dont allow him back next season. Good luck.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby machine3 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:00 pm

Who does he have on his roster?
On the surface, I feel he should be kicked out of the league (and I am against vetoes unless there is cheating) Once we see the rest of his roster, it may be very obvious that it is collusion.
machine3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk