Early vote for ROY honors - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Early vote for ROY honors

Moderator: Football Moderators

Early vote for ROY honors

Postby Shockers » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:55 pm

Cadillac started out strong. Arrington was a huge disappointment. #1 overall Smith has done nothing. Benson looks terrible so far. Ronnie Brown is quietly putting together a decent year. These were all the preseason favorites with the exception of Smith. So who gets your vote and why?

My vote as of right now today would go to a Tight End of all positions - Heath Miller. Why you ask? Reason #1 - Because honestly I'm a homer. #2 - Miller is currently tied for 1st in the AFC in TD receptions. #3 - He is filling a huge gap that everyone was wondering who would be the Steelers end zone threat with big target Plax gone. #4 - He plays for one of the most popular teams in football and they are having a great year this year. #5 - He is the TE's version of Cris Carter... all he does is catch touchdowns!

There you have it, Heath Miller gets the seal of approval from the Shockers. Who gets your vote and why?
Anyone here collect football cards??? PM me for some great trading sites online.
Shockers
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jh2031 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:15 am

I'm a homer too because my vote goes to Heath! At first when the season started...Caddy was a clear cut ROY in my opinion. With his injury (which is unfortunate cause it's a nagging injury) his value has gone down rapidly if you ask me. Heath gets my vote simply because he's a TD machine. He's Big Ben's favorite target and he just bulls people over that get in his way. And, believe it or not he could be the Steelers MVP if he continues to put up these numbers simply because look at the redzone numbers from last year to this year. He's made it easier on the coaches and his QB.
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Posse » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:23 am

My vote goes to Demarcus Ware.
Posse
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby daullaz » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:38 am

Well, since we're playing the homer vote, I think Reggie Brown of Philly should get it, no question!

Seriously though, I'll say Cadillac still has the edge, but Ronnie Brown could pass him if Caddy misses much more time. Miller is an interesting pick, and while the numbers might warrant it, I don't think he's gotten enough coverage yet to give him the necessary votes. Give him a few highlight-reel grabs and he could snatch it away. If he can make it to 10 TDs, he has a real shot.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shockers » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:42 am

Has a TE ever received ROY honors? 10 is not out of reach by any means for him. He has 6 in 7 games. He would only need 4 in the next 9. I agree that Brown and Cadillac both have an edge on Miller though. Not because they are better players, but because of their position. They have the ability to touch the ball 25-30 per game while Miller is having a great game if he has the ball thrown his direction 1/3 that many times.
Anyone here collect football cards??? PM me for some great trading sites online.
Shockers
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby pangbones » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:49 am

Kyle Orton is gonna steal some votes. Since the 5 int debacle against the Bengals, he has thrown only 1 int, and 5 TD's in those 4 games. They are 3-1 in those games as well. He is trying to become the first rookie QB to start every game and lead his team to the playoffs. Which could happen since the Bears play in the NFC North. 8-8 could win the division. Orton keeps getting better and better every week. He Probably won't win the ROY award, because he won't ever have huge stats, but he just might deserve it, if he keeps leading the bears to W's!! ;-D
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:25 am

The offensive ROY is really a tight race. Caddy still deserves consideration, as does Heath if he can continue to produce, but Ronnie Brown and Kyle Orton have been excellent in pivotal roles too, and should compete.

I think defensively the ROY is much easier to determine. Odell Thurman. He's easily become a cornerstone of that Bengals defense, and with Madieu Williams out he is easily their best defensive player. Just look at the stats:

35 solo, 13 assists, 1 sack, 4 INTs, 1 for a TD, 3 forced fumbles, and 6 passes defended.

Derrick Johnson still has a chance to compete, but he either needs to outdistance himself in tackles by a lot, or come up with a few more big plays, otherwise this is Odell's ROY.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:27 am

Posse wrote:My vote goes to Demarcus Ware.

I'm sorry but that's the dumbest homer-driven pick I have seen yet. :-t He's not even the best rookie LB for cryin' out loud! Odell Thurman has double his numbers or more in every relevant category but sacks and he's only 3 behind there while having more Ints, Fumble recoveries, and a TD to his name...

I'm not sure but I am pretty sure Derrick Johnson in KC is also having a better season at LB than Ware - although not as good as Thurman...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Posse » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:34 am

lmcjaho wrote:
Posse wrote:My vote goes to Demarcus Ware.

I'm sorry but that's the dumbest homer-driven pick I have seen yet. :-t He's not even the best rookie LB for cryin' out loud! Odell Thurman has double his numbers or more in every relevant category but sacks and he's only 3 behind there while having more Ints, Fumble recoveries, and a TD to his name...

I'm not sure but I am pretty sure Derrick Johnson in KC is also having a better season at LB than Ware - although not as good as Thurman...

It's not all about the stats unless you count double teaming and rushed passes.
Posse
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:39 am

Posse wrote:It's not all about the stats unless you count double teaming and rushed passes.

Sorry Posse, I don't quote Dr Z very often because I disagree with him a lot but if there is one thing he says reasonably often in his various articles at CNN/SI that I agree with it's that a double-team is not an excuse for a truly great player - the true great ones will play through the double-teams and still make the impact...

I also have to say that I doubt that Ware is being double-teamed that much more significantly than Thurman considering the talent on defense on both teams seems to indicate that of the two the Cowboy's opponents would be less likely to have an extra guy free to devote to Ware than the Bengals would...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk