How much help should a Commissioner give an owner? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How much help should a Commissioner give an owner?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How much help should a Commissioner give an owner?

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:38 am

There’s an owner in my league who may or may not have much of a clue what he’s doing. We’re in a H2H keeper league, 12 teams, standard scoring. We keep three players. This guy is 2-6, and his team really isn’t as good as his record. He just cut Daunte Culpepper for Kyle Orton – a decent move for this year but not a wise Keeper decision, especially considering that he has an extra Kicker, DEF and TE on his roster after this move.

My question is – as the Commissioner, do I have any obligation to give this guy a heads-up that he may want to hang on to Culpepper at least through the preseason next year to see how he recovers and what the Minny offense looks like, or do I have no reason whatsoever to help him?

His roster now looks like this:

QB - A. Brooks
QB - K. Orton
RB - R. Droughns
RB - R. Johnson
RB - C. Taylor
WR - K. Johnson
WR - E. Kennison
WR - C. Roby
WR - J. Galloway
TE - C. Cooley
TE - H. Miller
PK - S. Graham
PK - A. Vinatieri
Def - Colts
Def - Falcons
Def - Rams
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:41 am

Nope. It is his job to run the team. If he can't handle it replace him next year but no one should be babysat.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:44 am

That seems to be more of your opinion than actual fact. From what I've heard c-pep will miss more than preseason. I've been investigating as I am a c-pep owner and am thinking of dumping him as well.
But let the guy run his team and learn as he goes. If you really want to get him smarter regarding FF give him a link to this joint. ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:28 pm

Redskins Win wrote:That seems to be more of your opinion than actual fact. From what I've heard c-pep will miss more than preseason. I've been investigating as I am a c-pep owner and am thinking of dumping him as well.
But let the guy run his team and learn as he goes. If you really want to get him smarter regarding FF give him a link to this joint. ;-D

Agreed - about the link here. I haven't a clue about CPep.

Let him come here and decide for himself how much of a committment he wants to make to FF. Some people don't want to do much more than draft and set weekly lineups, and that is their decision. If he does want to get better and more knowledgable, this is the place.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby DrSpackle » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:32 pm

I guess it depends on how nice you want to be. ;-D

My first ever year playing FF, I drafted some brutal WRs. Just awful. My team was 0-4 and going no where fast. Well, the commish (who was a friend of mine) helped me make a couple of trades that turned my team around and I went 8-1 the rest of way.

Of course the trades helped the commish too. He beat me in the first round of the playoffs and eventaully won the championship. But I was always grateful for his help.
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:39 pm

Redskins Win wrote:That seems to be more of your opinion than actual fact. From what I've heard c-pep will miss more than preseason. I've been investigating as I am a c-pep owner and am thinking of dumping him as well.

Absolutely NOT!! The Cafe is my secret weapon. I hope nobody else in my league ever finds out about this place. I will deny that it exists if anyone asks me about it.

You have to have your edge, you know? ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:34 pm

DrSpackle wrote:I guess it depends on how nice you want to be. ;-D

My first ever year playing FF, I drafted some brutal WRs. Just awful. My team was 0-4 and going no where fast. Well, the commish (who was a friend of mine) helped me make a couple of trades that turned my team around and I went 8-1 the rest of way.

Of course the trades helped the commish too. He beat me in the first round of the playoffs and eventaully won the championship. But I was always grateful for his help.

good story and good point.

if you have a weekly basketball game and one friend of yours is always the chump (can't pass, can't dribble, can't shoot) do you keep picking on him, stealing the ball out of his hands, leaving him open so you double-up someone else, etc., or do you play with him during the week, helping him get better and improving the game?

me, i'd choose the latter. help out the dude. not out of obligation, but just out of kindness.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:40 pm

knapplc wrote:Absolutely NOT!! The Cafe is my secret weapon. I hope nobody else in my league ever finds out about this place. I will deny that it exists if anyone asks me about it.

I second that. The baseball cafe single-handedly won me my baseball league this year, and the football cafe has set my team up nicely for the playoffs. This place is the best thing that's ever happened to my fantasy teams.
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:This is a talented team that under any other circumstances would be an absolute lock for their 4th championship, but I can't shake the feeling that the push for 16-0 will in the end be the undoing of this team in the playoffs.
KoopaTroopa211
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby proKrastinate » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:19 pm

i dont know the terms of your keeper league. in mine, a player can only be out of the draft pool for 3 years before he isn't keepable anymore. Daunte was kept this year, and therefore has two more years remaining on his eligibility.

of the guy that owned him this year, he is one of the better teams in the league two years running (the only two of the leagues existence) and he dropped CPep earlier this week. So although your friend may have had other options, there is a lot of variables involved in this decision. whether or not the owner made use of all the variable is any ones guess.

with that said, I was a new to fantasy football 3 years ago. my friends introduced me to fantasy fb and helped me out all the time. what fun is it to play against someone when there really isn't any competition involved. there are few that like to win regardless, but me...I'd rather win some lose some than to blow the other team out every time.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:20 pm

I don't think the commish should really help other owners with lineup decisions or add/drops. Especially if they've not been asked for help.

Because of the Commish's job, it sets up a potential Conflict of Interest when you get into that kind of thing. Best to stay clear.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner