Age old question for The Commish: A non-playing team.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Age old question for The Commish: A non-playing team....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ike301 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:03 pm

jh2031 wrote:
ike301 wrote:no but seriously, what's the protocol here? what's fair? what's the standard?

When this has happened in my leagues, which it has a few times. They just have a lottery draft for his players. I think that that's easier than trying to manage his team also...but like was stated before, talk with the other owners and see what they think about it.

so some teams will get a bye? i dont think yahoo will let me reduce the number of teams from 10 to 9. the schedule will be jacked, right?
Post your link, I will answer yours to the best of my knowledge.
ike301
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby proKrastinate » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:30 pm

heres the thing, there is no pretty option.
  • if you divy up players, than are you eliminating one team? if your not than someone still has to play his team every weak or get a bye. taht might get rather confusion who should get a buy and when. and instead of playing Team X who is the best team in the league, a playoff contender gets a bye and although not a win, its not a loss
  • if you take control of his team, than it eliminates sorta the other teams getting a free win and disrupting the playoff race. but at the same time its any given sunday and you never know when his players might beat someone. there are sorry teams in the nfl right? (dont even think that im refering to the niners). Further those owners who already got a free pass to victory thus have an edge over everyone else, a victory where they may have gotten a loss against someone else. so why should they get the free pass and not his future opponents?
  • if you leave his team the way it is it disrupts the playoff race for future teams, possibly, depending on how you look at it (read above). on the other hand, fantasy football is meant to resemble real football to an extent. with that in mind, even the worst teams like houston don't start andre johnson when hes sidelined with an injury. they dont run 10 players on the field etc. so you are basically disrupting the correlation that was meant between fantasy football and the nfl.

there is no upside without consequence when choosing your action
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dmville » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:11 pm

In a league I was in, it was written in the rules that if an owner disappeared, his team each week would be the highest active draft picks on his roster. Left no room for arbitrary commish decisions and might at least field a halfway decent team.

It never happened though so we never tested it.
Dmville
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby ike301 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:22 pm

Dmville wrote:In a league I was in, it was written in the rules that if an owner disappeared, his team each week would be the highest active draft picks on his roster. Left no room for arbitrary commish decisions and might at least field a halfway decent team.

It never happened though so we never tested it.

yeah, i thought about that too. but now it's like 3 weeks have gone by and he hasnt set his team. i wasnt monitoring it, until someone else brought it up. obviously the opposing team wouldnt have said anything...

sigh.
ike301
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moonhead » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:42 pm

i think you just have to deactivate his entire lineup. i don't like divying up players. there's probably only 2 or 3 people that would be worth grabbing anyway. i think you just make it a ghost team and everyone gets a free pass on him. it sucks i hate when people do that to a league, it puts a lot of teams in a bind.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby onnestabe » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:45 pm

It seems like setting the roster each week is a good idea, but it should be done by the owners that aren't the vacant team's opponent. That way, you don't have a situation where someone could help themselves by picking their opponent's lineup. The rudderless team should not be making waiver moves, though. Bye weeks are only an issue for a couple more weeks, and if anyone important suffers a season-ending injury now, he was probably screwed anyway.

No matter what you do, you should talk to the other owners in the league first to find out what they think should be done. As far as the three weeks that no one noticed, it may just be tough luck for the rest of the league.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby ike301 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:16 pm

moonhead wrote:i think you just have to deactivate his entire lineup. i don't like divying up players. there's probably only 2 or 3 people that would be worth grabbing anyway. i think you just make it a ghost team and everyone gets a free pass on him. it sucks i hate when people do that to a league, it puts a lot of teams in a bind.

THis was my post:

As for Knoxvilles, it seems like he cant play due to work.

Need some ideas as to how to address this.

1) just sit all his players for the rest of the season

2) i, as commish, will set his team up with whoever he has now. no add drops, but i will try to have the best active players in the slot, regardless of matchup - just going to select based on the yahoo ranking.

3) any suggestions?

this bites.

unless of course, Bae can reserve 3 minutes out of his busy week to set his team.
ike301
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DrSpackle » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:24 pm

If you set the dead team's line-up every week and let it play out, what happens if that team wins it all? Who gets the cash?
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moonhead » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:24 pm

ike301 wrote:
moonhead wrote:i think you just have to deactivate his entire lineup. i don't like divying up players. there's probably only 2 or 3 people that would be worth grabbing anyway. i think you just make it a ghost team and everyone gets a free pass on him. it sucks i hate when people do that to a league, it puts a lot of teams in a bind.

THis was my post:

2) i, as commish, will set his team up with whoever he has now. no add drops, but i will try to have the best active players in the slot, regardless of matchup - just going to select based on the yahoo ranking.

3) any suggestions?

this bites.

unless of course, Bae can reserve 3 minutes out of his busy week to set his team.

I don't understand. Are you saying I didn't respond to the question at hand? I vote for #1.
I don't think it's fair to let people pick up his players because it is just too unfair for the guy getting the 9th pick. I was seeing some people post about giving out his players and making it a 9 team league. I think you lockdown his roster with noone started. It's a bum deal.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby ike301 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:51 pm

moonhead wrote:
ike301 wrote:

THis was my post:

3) any suggestions?

this bites.

I don't understand. Are you saying I didn't respond to the question at hand? I vote for #1.
I don't think it's fair to let people pick up his players because it is just too unfair for the guy getting the 9th pick. I was seeing some people post about giving out his players and making it a 9 team league. I think you lockdown his roster with noone started. It's a bum deal.

No, sorry. That was the bulletin I posted in my league. That was not a response to your post. I just hit quote b/c it was easier. I'm not planning on add/dropping. I was just going to play his acticve players based on the rankings.

He aint gonna win either. He has D JAckson, Duece McAllli, A Green, and two kickers....
ike301
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk