Age old question for The Commish: A non-playing team.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Age old question for The Commish: A non-playing team....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:56 pm

One of the leagues I'm in, the comish will repost the dudes last line up. If it's completely heinous he'll make some changes. Then send an email to league noting the dormant team and say he'll start looking for new owners. He always seems to come up with new owners.

But the longer you let these teams sit there the worse it's gonna get.

Go to the classifieds section here at the cafe and look for new owners. ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby machine3 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:11 pm

The ideal solution would be someone taking over his team. If that doesn't happen, I would set his lineup according to highest ranking each week, and let it play out.
machine3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby proKrastinate » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:25 pm

there isn't a way in yahoo however to let someone take over. i too am in this current situation.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FatFoot » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:37 pm

You can't just sit his team and give someone an automatic victory, unless you're in a total points league. It's unfair to any team that may have lost to him in the beginning. It's unfair to any team that gets to play him twice, when others only get once.

You ideally find someone who will try to run the team, and if they win it all, they get the free payday, and failing that, I think you set the lineup each week based on what he has, and give the whole league an opportunity to suggest anything that the team should do. So if the league thinks the team should pick up a new TE for example, you do that.

If the team is commish-run or ghosted and wins a playoff spot, that spot just goes to the next person in line, by record or by total points. Ghosted or commish-takeover teams shouldn't play in the post season.

It's in EVERYONE'S interest that a league stays competitive.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby ike301 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:30 pm

bump

this is a good discussion. thanks for input. any more?
Post your link, I will answer yours to the best of my knowledge.
ike301
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:38 pm

proKrastinate wrote:there isn't a way in yahoo however to let someone take over. i too am in this current situation.

Can't you still have a new owner take over and make all lineup changes/ waiver moves through the commish?

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Bowie » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:41 pm

I would run the team, but with no trades or waiver wire pickups. If it is a yahoo league, use the projected points to set his lineup so that there are no arguments with you decisions.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:06 pm

The problem is that 3 weeks have gone by. That's what makes this a hard decision. It would have to be up to a league vote.

But for others, I handle it this way. I check every roster before gameday. As long as nothing seems odd i.e. a bye week player in the starting lineup or a stud on the bench who had a bye last week, then the lineup counts as passing. If there is an issue, I call the owner and ask them what's the deal.

If an owner quits, it is already established that no WW moves will be made by that team and the lineup will be set weekly by using a "top lineup" program I have. Everyone in the league has seen the app and knows that I would not abuse my power. If I am ever questioned, which has never happened, I am to provide a screen shot of the application.

Yes this can be a lot of work for the commish, and some would say that I am helping teams who forget to set their lineup, but in 5 years only one owner has left during the season. Everyone is more in our league for the competition and would prefer it be this way, even if one week they incur a loss because I called another owner who forgot to set their lineup.

But do to this system, we have never had to deal with the problem you are currently dealing with. Hopefully all commish's (present and future) read through this post and realize that guidelines should be in place for this occurance which seems to happen all to often anymore in public leagues.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby swyck » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:10 pm

I suggest leaving things alone.

Some teams have already played him. If you start setting lineups now, then the earlier teams may have gotten a bonus win. By leaving it alone in whatever state its in, it at least gives everyone the same random chance.

Benching all the players goes the other way. It penalized the teams that played him early, and maybe didnt get a win.

I dont see what the point would be of dividing up the players in a draft and breaking the team up. That makes no sense at all, unless its roto.

I've rarely been in a league, even when made up exclusively out of cafe members, where at least one manager didnt bug out. So this is nothing new, it should be expected, though discouraged, and the best thing to do would be whatever has the least impact on everyone.

Either way putting the options up for discussion and getting eveyone's opinion is proper.
swyck
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Keeper1125 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:40 pm

Is this a pay league? Just curious.

I always think it's best to have the entire league -- minus the opponent -- vote on the starting roster each week. It's democratic.
Keeper1125
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk