Halfway Through - RBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Halfway Through - RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:55 pm

MadScott wrote:I look for S. Davis and C. Martin to drop down and possibly out by year end.

And so it continues. What will C-Mart have to do to be considered "for real?"
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby UNDEFEATED » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:01 pm

Free Bagel wrote:CB, while I hate to find fault with these threads, since I think will spark some great discussion, I have to question the reasoning behind using yahoo's default scoring system to come up with the rankings. Now, I realize that you're looking for a "standard", and since yahoo is the most popular FF site I can see the logic behind using their default system, but the truth is that once most players graduate from their first week of FF noobishness they move past yahoo's arcaic TD-heavy scoring system.

A very very very standard scoring system has been adopted among the vast majority of leagues involving players committed enough to FF to visit this site:

Passing:
25 yards per point
4 points per TD (6 points per TD will also do fine here)

Rushing/Receiving:
10 yards per point
6 points per TD

I only bring it up because it can vastly change the rankings. I doubt anything more than a minority of the people here play in a league where Stephen Davis ranks 7th in scoring amongst RBs. In leagues with the "standard" scoring he ranks 11th. Likewise, you won't find a lot of leagues where Davis ranks ahead of TJ and Westbrook. Not a huge difference, but noteworthy nonetheless.

i concur...and made this same assessment in the QB thread. With less eloquence than Mr. Free Bagel. :-D

Don't forget FRACTIONAL vs NON-FRACTIONAL scorings makes a difference toooooo. ;-D
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:53 pm

It seems that out of the top two, the next 8 or so seem really close( really a guess) i haven't looked at the standard rankings, so i wouldn't know really. But in my league those guys are close. I expect Ddavis and Rudi to move up the list and parker to drop off it.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:01 pm

skibrett15 wrote:It seems that out of the top two, the next 8 or so seem really close( really a guess) i haven't looked at the standard rankings, so i wouldn't know really. But in my league those guys are close. I expect Ddavis and Rudi to move up the list and parker to drop off it.

Outside the top 3, the next 7 are really close...
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:14 pm

moonhead wrote: i had big expectations for steven this year, but he has so far exceeded them by leaps and bounds. we all knew that jordan was an intriguing fantasy back this year, but did anyone think he'd be top 5?

I did - unfortunately I let the talk here scare me out of taking him early in one of my $$$ leagues and I got stuck with Portis/Lewis instead %-6
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:51 pm

A Healthy JJ should move onto the list.

Hard to say what will happen with Caddy, at least for a couple more weeks.

I'm not quite ready to throw dirt on C-Mart's grave just yet.

And LT will remain on the list. I'm fairly confident of that one.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:25 am

just to back up what free bagel said, i drafted warrick dunn in the 4th or 5th round in my 14-team league, and in the scoring 10 yds per point system, he's top 10, which is HUGE.

even with duckett's return, warrick dunn should continue to put up 10+ ppg by averaging nearly 100 ypg and probably a TD every other game.
George_Foreman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:38 am

yup - Im using Yahoo standard scoring due to the perception that its pretty standard. 20 rush = 1 pt, TD = 6. It really doesnt matter to me which is used, but since so many people use Yahoo and since I absolutely detest CBSSportsline, thats the reason behind it. This was done solely for discussion purposes.

To me the biggest trend I see goes back to draft position. Early this summer, if you took LT or SA with a top 3 pick, what RBs were the most probable that you would land as your #2? SJax, LJordan, or Westbrook. Im willing to bet that there are a ton of 1st place teams this yr with 2 top 5 RBs on their roster. I know thats the way it is in most of my leagues. The guys who picked early (as long as they didnt fall into the Manning trap), are having monster yrs for the most part. This shouldnt be overlooked as a big reason for success this yr.

Add to this the value gaps: There is a 20 point drop after the top 2 RBs, and there is another 20 point drop from 4th to 8th. Those are steep value drops in the top 10 RBs alone.

Player notes:
I'll be suprised if SDavis keeps it up. Eventually he will break.
I guess that entire NYG offense continues to suprise - I have no idea if they can keep it up. Tiki continues to be a great fantasy RB even though he's losing goalline carries. I still have to believe it will catch up to him and he wont finish in the top 10.
Either Bell or Anderson will fall out of the top 20.
Rudi isnt going to finish in the top 20 fellas - Chris Perry will get a larger number of looks as the season progresses.
I do think KJones, FTaylor, and possibly even JJones will crack the top 20 by seasons end - and it will probably come at the expense of FWP, Rudi, and Bell.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:06 pm

What's everyones thoughts on Edge for the rest of the year production wise. I'm worried that the Colts are going to clinch a playoff spot and possibley wrap up home field early and start reducing Edge's carries during the most important weeks of fantasy football. Would now be a good time to start shopping him?
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:39 am

I think Jackson is doing everything many of us thought that he could do if they used him correctly and parked Faulk's ass on the sidelines. I'm not surprised at what he is doing but rather that the pieces fell into place for him to get that opportunity this year.

I wouldn't worry about Edge. You will have to have everything go wrong for you for Indy to not be playing their starters in week 16. You figure that they have to atleast have a 3 game lead and NOT be undefeated to not be playing their starters that week. If they are undefeated, they will be playing to complete an undefeated season. If they are 13-1, that means the next best team can be no better than 10-4 unless they already have a tiebreaker worked out against that team. Considering 6 of their last 9 games are against team who could all very well beat them I wouldn't be worried.

I'd start to be concerned if they somehow ran their November schedule to be 11-0.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk