Curtis Martin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Curtis Martin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Curtis Martin

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:00 pm

As many of you have probably noticed, I've made it my personal prject to defend C-Mart's honor against all the baseless dissing of him in the Cafe. I hear from numerous sources that he's too old, he's going to drop off in performance, etc., etc.

The only thing we can say for certain, then, is that (since he's put up a gazillion 1000-yard seasons in a row -- he's never not had a 1000-yard season) he's greatly undervalued. So everyone should be trying ot trade for him.

So let this thread be the spot where people post their argument on how C-Mart is washed up, about to play his last game and get carried off in a neck brace, on the verge of retirement, certainly never going to score another NFL touchdown if even walk again. And this can be the place for the few, backed with empirical evidence gakore, to shoot down those C-Mart doubters.

Sound good?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby UNDEFEATED » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:05 pm

Not going to argue....just point some things out.

Vinny T is old and mawae is out. Obvious things but still.

Rather than call him Vinny old...lets say ineffective.

Mawae is the heart of the line. Nuff said.

eight games in and 461 rushings yards to date. With 4 TDs.

At this pace he will not crack a thousand yards. And he is borderline top 20 RB today.

Where will his stats end up at years end?

i understand the buy low theory...cuz he has little value.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:50 pm

I traded to get him and somebody else after his 2 TD game. I then traded him the next game after I saw Vinny rush for a TD at the 1 yard line, I cant have that stealing going on so I then traded him to another team after just one week. His performance looked terrible and with Vinny stealing TDs doesnt help. He has some value but not a whole lot TBH.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:00 pm

The catalyst for this thread was this:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=197264

...where Madscott said he couldn't see C-Mart staying in the Top 20 (he's in it now, depending on which scoring system you're using). So what's being implied is that his stats to date are better than they'll be by season's end. I can't accept that.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Kilroy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:46 pm

As I've said before, while the Jets Offensive Woes and C-Mart's knee (which may and or may not be a result of last year's workload) don't bode well I'm not ready to pronounce C-Mart "Done". It's a little hard for me to just write off a mortal lock first ballot Hall Of Famer who's run for 1,000+ 36 Years in a row the year after he wins the rushing title.

End of the year he'll be over 1,000 (AGAIN) with 8-12 TDs.

Go on with your bad self Curtis. See ya in Canton. ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby FF Newbie » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:02 am

If you want to argue with a specific claim a particular poster posted on a different thread, why not do it there instead of creating a new thread?
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Blitzburgh2001 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:55 am

Its real tough to defend him, but i'll try.

I drafted him at the bottom of the third round and thought I had a steal.

But the quarterback and offensive line problems in New York are just catastrophic, and its a lot for any back to overcome, or team for that matter.

The only way this situation can be salvaged is if Jay Fiedler can get healthy. Fiedler was actually a better option than Pennington at the apex of Pennigton's injury problems, and he managed the Dolphins offense well enough to allow Ricky Williams to win a rushing title.

I have offered C-Mart for randy Moss, but I will not offer him up for any less than that because he simply carries too much proven production to his name. My entire league is down on Martin, but I won't pile on.

That said Mewelde Moore will continue to start in his place (reception league) until I see something positive after that Atlanta game.
Blitzburgh2001
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby drsteuss » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:17 am

I've seen him run into the pile of defenders at the line of scrimmage too many times this year to defend him. Apart from the Buffalo game, he's been brutal to watch.
aka Big Daddy Drew, Kissing Suzy Kolber
drsteuss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby silverZ » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:21 am

His line can't open any holes for him. His QB can't take any pressure off him. He hasnt been picking up that extra yard or two after contact like he used too. He just isnt a good fantasy RB this year. Its a shame too, i drafted him at the end of the 2nd round because hes always been one of my favourites.
circa 2005
silverZ
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Dude » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:32 am

Honestly, I don't think the situation is as dire as some make it out to be. Herm is committed to the run,and the D isn't bad. That Monday Night game was a terrible barometer since they were having serious problems with the snap fumbles because they'd only had a week for Vinny to work with the new center. So, the Jets lost four posessions early in that game and only get Martin 8 carries at the half, stalling most of their drives with fumbles or penalties.

They're coming off the bye, so hopefully they have the center to QB exchange worked out now, and with Vinny back there, I think Curtis will see more running lanes. Losing Mawae was a huge blow, but I still think Curtis has value --- to his team, and as a fantasy back.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Return to Football Talk