Tallest Receiver - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tallest Receiver

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:24 am

Imagine how much muscle David Boston could pack on a 6'9" frame.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Santacruzer » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:28 am

This may be a tough thing to "actually" guage. You can't really trust what the teams list players as for either height or weight. (I've seen Barry Sanders listed anywhere from 5'7 to 5'11 during his playing days).

Anyway, I found this (sort of on topic) article while looking into player heights:
Sporting News, March 11, 2005 by Dan Pompei
In a game of inches, being too tall isn't to good: the red-flag treatment often greets pro prospects who are long on height

They called Ed Jones "Too Tall," but at 6-9, really he wasn't. It was a joke really, kind of like calling Donald Trump "Too Rich," or Pamela Anderson "Too Shapely."

That isn't to say players can't be too tall, however. Take it from a guy who could use elevator shoes: Too much height scares some talent evaluators more than too little height. And it should. Jones got away with being too tall because he had athleticism that was rare for a man his size.

Dan McGwire, now he was too tall. The brother of home run king Mark McGwire stood 6-8. He was a first-round pick of the Seahawks in 1991, but the quarterback played in only 13 games in a five-year NFL career. In addition to being too tall or, more accurately, because of being too tall, McGwire was too stiff to avoid a pass rush and too inaccurate to hit the open man.

There can be Dan McGwires at every position. So some personnel men paid particular attention to the heights of the 332 NFL prospects at the Combine last week in Indianapolis.

"In very simple terms, too much height creates a bigger target," Colts president Bill Polian says. "Generally speaking, tall people tend not to be real good knee benders and real quick in their movements. The axiom I've always followed is beware of too tall rather than beware of too short."

One NFC team prescribes maximum heights for each position. If a prospect is taller than the second tallest productive player in the NFL at that position, he gets a red flag. The thinking is the tallest productive player in the NFL probably is an aberration. That isn't to say the prospect can't be an aberration, like "Too Tall" Jones. But the team would have to determine that. In this year's draft, there are a handful of prospects who will face extra scrutiny because of their heights.

Brandon Browner, CB, Oregon State, 6-3 1/2. Everyone needs tall corners, right? Well, not this tall. Broncos cornerback Lenny Walls is 6-4, and that's one reason he came into the league as a free agent. "Corners who are cut too high can't turn and run," an AFC personnel director says.

For this reason, a tall corner is more troubling than a tall receiver, such as 6-4 Southern California wideout Mike Williams. Taller receivers usually lack quickness in and out of their cuts, but that skill is not as vital to a receiver as it is to a corner.

Andrew Walter, QB, Arizona State, 6-6. Not every team is leery of tall quarterbacks. "You can't be too tall at quarterback," Polian says. "He has to be able to see over the rush." In fact, the Colts want their passers to be 6-3 or taller, although they make exceptions for special players.

Brandon Jacobs, RB, Southern Illinois, 6-4 1/8. A tall running back probably will have a hard time getting low. He'll give defenders a big area to hit, and he'll likely take a lot of punishment.

Sam Lightbody, OT, Washington State, 6-9. A gangly blocker might have balance issues, and he could play too high to be effective.

Bryce Benekos, P, UTEP, 6-5 1/8. A punter who is too tall takes up too much space to get a punt off, which leaves him vulnerable to blocked kicks.

6'9 for "too tall" Jones is the most I have found so far for WRs.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby arkansasbuzzard » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:55 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:Harold Carmichael of the Eagles has to be close to the top of tallest WRs ever to play.

6'8"

You must have as much gray hair as I do.

"It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra
arkansasbuzzard
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Guru13 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:12 am

randy moss is like 6'4, not the tallest, but tall, surprised noone mentioned him.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Charlie24 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:23 am

I found this in case someone was wondering who the tallest NFL player in history was
The Oakland Raiders selected defensive tackle Richard Sligh in the 10th round. Although his pro career lasted just eight games, the 7’0” Sligh holds the distinction of being the tallest person ever to play pro football.

He was drafted by OAK in 1967 and then converted to OT... It would be pretty funny to see someone like Freeney (6'1'') line up against a 7-footer
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Charlie24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Lushcrush » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:26 am

I can't believe you guys don't remember Morris Stroud, 6'10, who played TE for the Chiefs in the early 70's. On long field goals, Hank Stram put him in front of the goal posts to REJECT anything he could get to. ;-D
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk