I would like to apologize... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I would like to apologize...

Moderator: Football Moderators

I would like to apologize...

Postby dolphinsrising » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:05 pm

"I've had an opportunity to talk with the Eagles organization and I have learned that the team does not recognize individual achievements," Owens said. "It has been brought to my attention that I have offended the organization and my teammates. Therefore, I would like to apologize for any derogatory comments toward them." This would appear to clear Owens for Sunday's game. Earlier in the day, coach Andy Reid would not rule out a suspension.

I would like to say, sorry I don't understand but that isn't an apology, but perhaps that would be rude? Reid and the Eagles organization apparently accepted this statement to smooth over a tumultuous relationship and I understand that side of it. However, if you've already threated the player with a season suspension why take the pressure off not require an actual apology? "Professional" athlete is a term to be used lightly because for guys like TO there is very little that is professional about them. They should bring it to thick skulled Owens attention that the statement I would like to apologize is not the same thing as saying I apologize, I'm sorry, I ask forgiveness. It's well past time for the Eagles to put the hammer down on TO and make him understand his actions will no longer be tolerated.
dolphinsrising
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:15 pm

I hear what you are saying, but right now they are looking at losing Westbrook and TO in the offseason, and I am sure quite a few other guys I am not aware of. They don't have proven replacements for these guys. This means that this year is the year they have a realistic shot at winning a Superbowl. Now that they are in a tight division race, they can't really afford to have one of their stars sit. No matter how much I hate TO off the field, you have to admit that he is an excellent football player that can change a game.

That is the problem the Eagles are facing - bench TO to send a message and possibly miss out on the playoffs or get what we can out of him while he is still here?

Everyone points to McCardell last year and Glenn with the Pats a few years ago as examples of winning without starters to improve team chemistry, but Tampa didn't really have a chance to be competitive last year and therefore nothing to lose, and New England obviously had enough WRs to bench Glenn and send a message. The Eagles don't have depth at WR, and a chance at a championship is on the line. I certainly wouldn't want to be put in the situation to make that decision.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:18 pm

PRAISE LAWD, AMEN! ;-D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 pm

I'm no Eagles fan but if you suspend him for the season you might as well kiss your season goodbye.

Is it worth it? I'm not sure.
Sp_Da_Man
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:23 pm

Lol. I am sure the Redskins, Cowboys and Giants would love for the Eagles to "put the hammer down" on TO. The Eagles are trying to win a SB just like everyone else. TO is a jackass but he's too good of a player to suspend without working every other angle first.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I would like to apologize...

Postby ampant » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:55 pm

dolphinsrising wrote:They should bring it to thick skulled Owens attention that the statement I would like to apologize is not the same thing as saying I apologize, I'm sorry, I ask forgiveness.

LOL

What an ass he is. There are millions of guys with personalities just like his that end up working at DQ or Wal-Mart because they weren't lucky enough to be born with talent. He is pissed off at the eagles for paying him damn near 50 million over 7 years. What a sad sack of a person. If you paid me that much to do a job . . ehrm . . excuse me . . . PLAY A GAME for millions of dollars, I wouldn't bitch about out a thing. It's time for TO to shut the hell up. What has this guy ever done for anybody really? The guy who eventually figures out a cure for AIDS probably won't see that much money.

I especially loved the "It has been brought to my attention . . . "

"It has been brought to my attention that my smacking you upside the head with a 2x4, that I may have offended you. I would like to apologize to you, but I won't, because I am a self-absorbed narcissist, and I am just saying this because my brain stopped developing when I was eight"
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Azrael » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:00 am

I wonder who the dumbasses will be the pick him up for next year. I could see the Raiders doing it if they didn't already have Randy.

Pats - Nope
Miami - ?, I really don't think Saban wants to inject poison into the 2nd year of his plan though
Jets - don't think Herm would want him
Buffalo - ?

Cinci - Nope
Pitt - Nope
Cleveland - can't see him going here just because they suck so bad, have no QB to throw to him, and he does want to win. He will want to go to a good team.
Balt - see Cleveland

Indy - nope
Jax - ?
Tenn - ?, probably can't afford him
Hou - ?, but they already have the exact same receiver really in AJ, just not matured.

Den - ? maybe, Shanny is probably crazy enough to try it
KC - ?
SD - ?
Oak - already have Randy but who knows what Al would do

Giants - nope
Dallas - don't think Parcells would want him
Philly - bwahahaha
Wash - ?

Bears - doubt it, just gave Muhammad the world
Detroit - no, they'll draft another receiver
Minn - doubt it...if they didn't want Randy, they'd never handle TO
Green Bay - nope

Atlanta - doubt Mora would want that problem, just might be desperate for a bigtime WR though
Carolina - nope
Tampa - doubt it, already have Clayton and Galloway, and Gruden couldn't deal with Keyshawn
New Orleans - don't think so

Seattle - nope
StL - nope
AZ - nope
SF - yeah, right

Ok. I've narrowed it down to.

Buffalo
Jacksonville
Denver
Kansas City
San Diego
Washington

Outside shots
Chicago
Minnesota
Atlanta

Anyone else want to interject?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby logan » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:09 am

no way in the world does he come to KC. lamar has made some mistakes in the past but that would be the worst thing he could ever do. if vermeil decides to stay on one more year then there is absolutely no chance. plus i don't see us having the cap room anyways. KC isn't high profile enough for TO either. he would never see the field because of holding out in protest.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:50 am

well, I think part of the problem is that Andy Reid and the Eagles organization (up until now) have been considered one of the best run organizations. They have a tough-but fair rep witht he players, meaning they maintain control, but are good places for players.

considering their success, I wonder if his name is shot. Perhaps a very established coach will try him, or mora in atlanta, but doubt anyone who has borderline job security would even consider it. I am sure there is a feeling that if TO couldn't be happy in philly, where he was a god, ona good team with a good qb and a coach/qb who refuse to call people out in the media, where would he be happy?
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:52 am

btw -- the phrase "I'd like to apologize" isn't really bad. A lot of people saying that, because an apology linguistically, is a two way street. sometimes you'd "like to" but the other person doesn't want the apology.

The "apologies" that get me are when someone says "I'm sorry IF I offended someone". Its like they aren't sorry for what they did, just sorry that someone didn't like it.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk