I would like to apologize... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I would like to apologize...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dolphinsrising » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:21 pm

This guy needs to see someone and get over his issues.

Per KFFL:

Eagles | Owens had a Fight with Douglas
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 06:31:31 -0800

Mark Eckel, of the Trenton Times, reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Terrell Owens had a fistfight with former defensive end and current team ambassador Hugh Douglas. The fight occurred in front of several of his teammates. According to one of the sources the Owens-Douglas fight "was like WWE Smackdown." Another source said both men threw at least two punches during the altercation and when it was over Owens challenged QB Donovan McNabb first and then everyone else in the room saying, "You want some. Anyone else want some." The Eagles refused to comment about the situation, other than the statement that revealed Owens' suspension. Owens and Douglas have been at odds since training camp and almost got into an altercation in an elevator at Lehigh University.
dolphinsrising
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:24 pm

eaglesrule,

nice post.

and you're right. player's contracts don't violate any of the grounds for contract recission: freely negotiated, equal bargaining power, equal information, equal sophistication of parties, no mutual mistake, etc., etc.

but i read an interview with one agent whose point was that teams renegotiate and cut players all the time. and nobody jumps on the owners for walking away from a contract which they entered into voluntarily. they just say, yah, player X isn't playing up to the money he's owed this year. so he should take a cut. (eddie george comes immediately to mind, but the number of times this occurs in the nfl is numerous; it's part of the business model, really). and if it's ok for owners to not completely honor their end of the deal when a player is underperforming their contract, then it is legitimate and fair for a player to ask for a renegotiation if the player is outperforming.

is terrell "underpaid"? not clear. arguments can be made both ways. has terrell performed a poor job of negotiating? without question. should that hamper his market value to his team? it would if i was an owner (if i was starting a basketball franchise, the first player i would want out of the nba would be KG... there's arguments for other players helping you more on the court, but KG is so rock-solid in the community and as a public face that he helps your team brand more than anyone... the-anti TO). but do i think that terrell, or any other nfl player, should be villified for wanting to come back to the negotiating table to rework their deal? no. they shouldn't. until the nfl, as a whole, recognizes the sanctity of the contract, players should not be singularly abused for following suit.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I would like to apologize...

Postby ampant » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:27 pm

Matthias wrote:ampant--and I only say this because I care--they have decaffeinated brands now that taste just as good as regular.

Okay dude. If you mean to imply that I need to chill out, go back and read your post. When you come at me right off the bat with this . . .

Matthias wrote:then you're an idiot. under your logic, he shouldn't bitch if they . . .

and this . . .

Matthias wrote:You, son, is ignorant.*

. . . don't imply that I should chill out unless you apologize first. You made it a point to take personal shots at me. I don't care what an ignoramus like you thinks, but when you publicly disrespect me, expect an equal and opposite reaction. I didn't post anything to warrant those sorts of insults, and I would bet $100 that I have a higher IQ than you do. In addition to the insults, your arguments sucked, and I pretty much refuted most of your points. Obviously, though, you have since changed your tone . . .

Matthias wrote:. . . and you're right. player's contracts don't violate any of the grounds for contract recission: freely negotiated, equal bargaining power, equal information, equal sophistication of parties, no mutual mistake, etc., etc. . .
. . . is terrell "underpaid"? not clear. arguments can be made both ways. has terrell performed a poor job of negotiating? without question. . .

See? That is the sort of rational discourse to which I would not have objected. And if you had tailored your previous post in a similar fashion, I would have just disagreed instead of taking your weak-assed arguments to the mat. People are free to disagree with me, and do so all the time. But the fact is . . . you decided to act like an a-hole, and take personal shots.
Last edited by ampant on Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby ampant » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:32 pm

Matthias wrote:f) As Terrell pointed out in an interview once, he's never shot anybody; he's never been charged with drug possession; never charged with weapons possession; never had a DUI; never been charged with any sort of sexual assault. And he catches tons more flack than players who have. Mostly, he is villified for adding entertainment to the game (his contract crap aside).

Thought it would be interesting to juxtapose these two quotes. Mostly, he is villified for running his mouth, and for stuff like this . . .

dolphinsrising wrote: Philadelphia Eagles WR Terrell Owens had a fistfight with former defensive end and current team ambassador Hugh Douglas. The fight occurred in front of several of his teammates. According to one of the sources the Owens-Douglas fight "was like WWE Smackdown." Another source said both men threw at least two punches during the altercation and when it was over Owens challenged QB Donovan McNabb first and then everyone else in the room saying, "You want some. Anyone else want some."

The guy has issues. That's why people hate on him.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ampant » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:16 pm

EA FF Player news wrote:Updated Nov 07, 2:53 PM ET
News: Eagles head coach Andy Reid has announced that Owens will not return to the field this season, as the receiver has been suspended for three more games, then will be deactivated the rest of the 2005 schedule. Owens publicly criticized the organization because he did not get recognized by the club after scoring his 100th career touchdown earlier this year, and he reportedly also got into a fist fight in the locker room last week with former teammate Hugh Douglas.
Analysis: Owens' bumpy ride in Philadelphia apparently has come to an end. He finishes the year with 47 receptions for 763 yards and six touchdowns.

I F#@*!%G HATE you Owens! Your dumb ass is ruining both your career and my FF season! Just admit you acted like a 3 year old, grovel for forgiveness, and mabye they'll let you play again!
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk