Dauntes fault? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Minnesota Vikings

Dauntes fault?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dauntes fault?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:05 pm

was the vikings bad start due to the poor play of culpepper or was it just the whole team?
after watching the game against the lions this week johnson seemed to due a much better job managing the game and he allowed the running game to really get going as well

do you think it is too far to say that the vikings would have a winning record had culpepper gotten injured in week 1?
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:28 pm

No way would I say that the Vikings would have a winning record if Daunte would have gotten hurt week one. One game isn't enough to say that Brad Johnson is better than Daunte and that he would have won more games. I'm no Daunte fan, and think we'll be fine without him, but I don't think that you could say that Daunte is the problem.

Even this week, our offense was not spectacular. We had great field position a lot of the game because our D played pretty well and forced TOs, as well as getting a few good returns from Koren Robinson.

I'd say it would be much more accurate to say that the problem is the offensive line, for not giving Daunte the time to throw the ball that he needs. He's the kind of QB that needs to have time to throw the ball because he can't read defenses and anticipate cuts by WRs. The commentators today even said something about the fact that with Daunte the WRs weren't as worried about running accurate routes because Daunte didn't have the anticipation to throw it before they made the move to get open. When you can't throw it anticipating a move, you need more time to see the guy get open, and Daunte wasn't getting that time.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bennett4prez » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:15 am

M_Zimm_ffc wrote:No way would I say that the Vikings would have a winning record if Daunte would have gotten hurt week one. One game isn't enough to say that Brad Johnson is better than Daunte and that he would have won more games. I'm no Daunte fan, and think we'll be fine without him, but I don't think that you could say that Daunte is the problem.

Even this week, our offense was not spectacular. We had great field position a lot of the game because our D played pretty well and forced TOs, as well as getting a few good returns from Koren Robinson.

I'd say it would be much more accurate to say that the problem is the offensive line, for not giving Daunte the time to throw the ball that he needs. He's the kind of QB that needs to have time to throw the ball because he can't read defenses and anticipate cuts by WRs. The commentators today even said something about the fact that with Daunte the WRs weren't as worried about running accurate routes because Daunte didn't have the anticipation to throw it before they made the move to get open. When you can't throw it anticipating a move, you need more time to see the guy get open, and Daunte wasn't getting that time.

Perfectly said. Daunte is a big-time QB, without big-time support. Brad Johnson will get you down the field on little passes, moving the chains. Not saying Johnson is better, but he puts us in a position where our defense wins or loses the games, and with performances like last week, that's exactly what the Vikings need.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Minnesota Vikings