Accidentally accepted bad trade. Thoughts? Am I SOL? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Accidentally accepted bad trade. Thoughts? Am I SOL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Accidentally accepted bad trade. Thoughts? Am I SOL?

Postby Opinion Ape » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:08 pm

Well, I am officially stupid.

Here's the situation: my buddy is commisioner in my league, and offered me HIS Rudi Johnson for MY Chad Johnson. It's a Yahoo league. So, I type up a response in the little response box saying "Not interested. No counter-offer coming" and go to click "Reject Trade" just as the phone rings and I . . . lose my mind and click "Accept Trade."

Immediately I blew off the person who just called and then phoned my Commisioner buddy and left a message saying I did not want the trade. Then, I posted immediately on the message board saying I did not want the trade. Then, I forwarded to the commissioner plus two of the more active members of our league the email from Yahoo saying the trade had been accepted but which also included my message saying no thanks, and let it be known again that I do not want the trade.

I'm freaking out, and just curious if you guys think I have a leg to stand on, or how you would handle this as commisioner. Normally, I think if you do something stupid (add, drop, etc), you have to live with the consequences, but I tried to make up for my stupidity by begging to have it undone within minutes of doing it. My call, post and emails all came within 3 minutes of the mistake (in contrast to, say, making a trade and then discovering a day later one party was injured).

Aaggh. Feck. I was sitting pretty at 8-1 and now I traded away one of my best weapons.
Opinion Ape
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:14 pm

It seems like there is a post like this a few times a year. And I believe the consensus is that the commish can either reverse it or just trade the two right back and waive the trade time.

You shouldn't be s.o.l.
Sp_Da_Man
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bagobonez » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:15 pm

If your commish is worth his weight in salt, he'll cancel the trade.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Opinion Ape » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:29 pm

Thanks guys. I felt the same, but in my dramatic panic needed outside perspectives.

Now, to be fair . . . I wouldn't blame my friend for making me wait out the whole trade approval period before he cancels said trade. I probably deserve at least that much torment. But hopefully he'll see it our way and this will resolve painlessly.
Opinion Ape
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby steelerfan04 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:30 pm

Yea, this has happened to me once or twice before. From hearing what you said, the commish should definetly cancel the trade.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:03 pm

The truly annoying thing about all this (something similar happened to me last week - only I hit reject and then Yahoo crashed and when I refreshed it had my trade as Accepted) is that for every other freaking player-transaction-related action on Yahoo there is a second screen that makes you confirm the add or drop or whatever, but for the trade accept it's one click and you're fooked...

Your "friend" should cancel it - if not you should go to his house and give him an Upper-Decker* in retaliation...
---------------------------------------------------------

*Upper-Decker = pooping in the top of the toilet tank - no matter how many times you flush it will still smell like poop...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Opinion Ape » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:34 pm

lmcjaho wrote:
Your "friend" should cancel it - if not you should go to his house and give him an Upper-Decker* in retaliation...
---------------------------------------------------------

*Upper-Decker = pooping in the top of the toilet tank - no matter how many times you flush it will still smell like poop...

Well, now I'm torn. As much as I hope he cancels the trade, I kinda want a good excuse to do this. A most excellent idea.
Opinion Ape
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Bowie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:40 pm

You did everything right after the mistake (posting a public message immediately), so he should veto it. I sent out a trade and got a similar response (TRADE ACCEPTED: "No thanks, I don't need this trade). We both asked for a league veto vote and recieved it. If, however, this guy feels like being a hard case, then you really have no excuse (your mistake). Either your commish is a good guy with Rudi, or a jerk with Chad.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby spodog » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:04 am

Well, if I was commish I'd probably mess with you and make you sweat it out, then I'd reverse the trade after you sh*# a brick for a few days.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:44 am

This is why Yahoo! needs to have an "Are you sure?" screen for stuff like this. I've often wondered why there isn't...mistakes do happen from time to time. :-t

If people want to be anal, they could hold you to this since it's already accepted. I think I would give you some slack on this one and so should your commissioner.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk