Larry Johnson value discussion... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Larry Johnson value discussion...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby foulballstrike3 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:11 pm

I agree w/ jh, his value is only behind Alex and LDT IMO. Edge is right there with him. He plays the Gmen (I don't care how well the D has been playing, they aren't that good) and the Chargers in the playoffs.

Also, I think that guy would be crazy to give him up for the combos you're offering. I guess it depends on how bad he needs WRs and how good his RBs are. If he has a couple of solid Wideouts, the upgrade of Holt doesn't make up for the downgrade of LJ for those other two backs. LJs value couldn't be any higher, even though it's obviously not an option to give those guys up when Priest was still playing. You shoulda gotten him before last week.
foulballstrike3
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Larry Johnson value discussion...

Postby spodog » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:17 pm

Paladyr wrote:Alright I'm thinking about trading for Larry and would be treating him like a top 5 back. I'd like to know if anyone has any info on the following:

1. How's his durability? This can go back to college or whatever. Also, I read something here that suggested height had something to do with durability in RBs, and that 6'1" is bad.

2. Should his value be treated as a top 5 back?

3. Should we take a wait and see approach or jump on him now?

I'm considering giving up a combo like Holt/Portis or Holt/Westbrook . Discuss!!!

1) I don't think I'd hold 6'1" against him. He has excellent balance when he runs and he does not look like a tall, leggy RB moving through the DEF like a Chris Brown does. He has very low mileage for a 3rd year guy, so I'd rate his durability very high.

2) This is a good statement, since he will be a Top 5 back thru the rest of the season, maybe 3rd only to SA and LT2.

3) If you're asking this question, you've already watied way too long. In most good leagues, the guy was drafted in July or August, check your calendar, it's November and he is the starting RB on one of the top Rushing offenses in football. What is it you would be waiting on?
Last edited by spodog on Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:19 pm

His next 3 matchups are very good for him so he is going to put up some big numbers. My only question about him is he ready to handle being an every down back???
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby black_hawk8888 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:34 pm

He proved that last year in 5 starts.
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Get Larry if you can.

Postby Pork Tornado » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:44 pm

He won me my league championship last year and I'm pretty sure he is gonna do it again for me. In my opinion, he should have been starting over Priest from week 1. The guy was a stud at Penn State, I believe he twice set all time records for yards in a single game and in 1 season. He is a must start regardless of matchup.
"It's time to eat lightning and crap thunder!"
Pork Tornado
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Wenchtamer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:01 pm

I have Tomlinson and LJ in a 12 team league....Im feelin pretty damn good right now
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby Paladyr » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:10 pm

I actually did try to trade for him earlier in the year, however I have a strong chance of winning so I didn't want to "sell" my team this year to get him on the *chance* that he might be the starter before the end of the year (although that looked doubtful) and then use him as my keeper for a year or two more until priest retired. The owner was pretty high on LJ b/c he was out of it and could wait for LJ to become the starter, possibly next year, so he was looking to get top 5 trade bait for him.

I have holt + westbrook offered to the guy and he is at least thinking about it. I feel like this is my shot to score a big time RB, and my WRs are fine without holt.
Go Bengals!
'06 FF Champion!
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:46 pm

I'd rank 'em like this:
1. LT
2. Alexander
3. Edge (and it's all pretty objective up to this point -- just look at the numbers so far)

then
4. LJ
5. LaMont Jorden
6. Steven Jackson
7. Who knows...Thomas Jones? Davis? Dillon?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pork Tornado » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:17 pm

I have Alexander, LaMont, and Larry in my backfield and I would be surprised if anyone came close to me for the rest of the year.
"It's time to eat lightning and crap thunder!"
Pork Tornado
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cooner » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:27 pm

as for injury history, LJ played in very few games as a frosh (not due to injury), didn't miss a game (though was playing as a backup) as a sophomore, missed one game as a junior (again as a backup), but not due to injury reasons, and missed one game as a senior (starting every other game). I'm not sure what that missed game was due to, but it certainly wasn't a major injury, or I'm sure I would remember that.

I'm almost positive he's never had a major injury, at least back through college.
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk