Anything wrong with losing on purpose? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anything wrong with losing on purpose?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby terpfan » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:42 pm

Its an unwritten rule even in fantasy football. Just set our lineups at least. For your own pride if nothing else.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Trunks » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:55 pm

In one of my keeper leagues we made a rule that the last place team has their team renamed the following season to whatever the other owners decide on. I thought it was a pretty funny way to keep owners competitive even if they're mathmatically out of the playoffs.

Unfortunately, the following year the owner was not willing to submit to the name change. I have to admit it was kinda annoying but it wasn't anything worth losing an owner over. Ehh what are you gonna do
Trunks
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Timbathia » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:51 am

The teams that miss the playoffs in our keeper league all enter a "toilet" bowl, where the winner gets the top draft pick the following year. After that draft order goes on win/loss record. It keeps teams interested until the end of the year.

We have also serious trash-talking/bragging rights associated with lifetime win/loss records between the individual teams (fanball keeps lifetime stats), so keeping someone as your b*tch even if you are missing the playoffs is very important (or avoiding being theirs). While we are technically all friends there are some seriously spiteful relationships where the league is involved.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Timbathia » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:59 am

Oh yeah, to answer your question.......

Everything is wrong with losing on purpose. It shows a lack of pride and character, and to do it would condemn you as a worthless low-life in the eyes of every respectable FFL-loving person (figured I would tell you what I really think!).
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ampant » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:09 am

Carnac wrote:Pull names from a hat each year like we do. Doesn't matter where you finished the year before.

Our league is so competitive even the bad teams like to play spoiler!

;-D Sounds like a good league.

If I were out of it, I would love to drag another team with me. }:-)
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Azrael » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:06 pm

ampant wrote:
Carnac wrote:Pull names from a hat each year like we do. Doesn't matter where you finished the year before.

Our league is so competitive even the bad teams like to play spoiler!

;-D Sounds like a good league.

If I were out of it, I would love to drag another team with me. }:-)

That's what we do too. Just because your teams sucks this year, why should you get to pick first next year?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Ditka in '04 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:13 pm

I like our system. the #1 pick for next year goes to the winner of the consolation bracket then #2 goes to the 2nd place finisher in consolation and so on. Then the 7th pick (6 guys in playoffs, 6 guys not) goes to the guy who finished last in the playoff bracket and the winner gets the 12th pick. Plus it helps the winner of the consolation bracket gets $50 bucks. Its a good system to keep teams competitive
Go Bears, Ditka, and Italian Sausage
Ditka in '04
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk