My bold predition of the year: Kevin Jones - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My bold predition of the year: Kevin Jones

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ampant » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:12 am

umphrey wrote:KJ would be a good second half boom candidate. Early in the year I thought he'd be pretty average with Harrington at QB and good with Garcia. It turned out he sucked with Harrington, but I don't think we've seen enough of him and Garcia to make a decision yet.

He WOULD be a second half boom candidate . . . if he didn't suck so bad in the 1st half, if he showed a glimmer of hope. But sadly, no, he is more likely to not have a good second half either.

Also, I don't know that the QB affects him that much. I mean, the whole offense kind of sucks. Not just the QB. How come the QB always gets blamed when an RB licks balls? Nobody ever blames the RB if the QB sucks, yet I always thought you were supposed to establish the run to open up the passing game (well, unless you're the Rams). I mean, Charlie Batch sucks huge hairy donkey balls, but Duce Staley is still gonna run all over the Browns.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:15 am

Well - as almost anyone who actually has watched and followed DET this season will tell you - its not really either QBs fault - and it damn sure isnt KJones fault.

Marriuci will be fired at the end of the yr because he is a terrible coach and his offensive system is a joke. I am not kidding when I say that the talk isnt whether or not if he will be fired, but instead whether or not Millen waits until the end of the season. Most of the blame of this offense's ineptness can be placed squarely on Mooch's shoulders.

The WRs are primadonnas - they lack good attitude and are frusterated that thier tremendous abilities are not being used correctly in Mooch's offense. Those of you who question their talents really dont know what you are talking about - talent wise they are some of the best WRs in the game. Now feel free to challenge their heart, their intelligence, their desire, and their drive - absolutely - but challenge Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, and BMW's talents? That just comes across as sillyness. A lot of the blame for this offense also lies with the WRs this season, but exactly why - whether they were too young and immature or because they revolted against an offensive system that simply refused to recognize their talents - remains up for debate.

The Oline has obviously been a concern as well - but they are improving. The entire left side of the line is weak - from C to LT - they are undersized and have a limited ceiling anyway.

With all that being said - KJones didnt have any of the WRs last yr either (except if you count an injured Roy), their OLine was about the same as it is now, and he ended up being nearly a top 5 RB through the last 8 weeks of the yr. At this point, Id say KJones is one of the bigger buy/low candidates going right now since most of his owners are ready to flat out drop him anyway.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:12 am

The difference between last year and this year with Jones is that he was injured early last year and came back healthy and refreshed for the 2nd half, whereas this year he is getting more and more banged up as the year goes on, and I feel he is one or two games away from ending up on a stretcher instead of on the top 5 list. He is physically worn out and can't possibly duplicate his results from last season.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:44 am

I hope you're right, this guy has been playing like s#!T for me. What a waste of a 2nd round pick. Hopefully he redeems himself.
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My bold predition of the year: Kevin Jones

Postby Carolina Panthers » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:04 pm

MrHokeyPokey wrote:I decided this is the week I will use my super-human powers and make the bold prediction of the year. The "bust" that has been Kevin Jones really stunk it up in the first half, but i have faith and will play him one more week. And since I have self-proclaimed super-human-future-reading powers I am going to predict a huge week for him on his final chance to stay in my and yours starting line up.

Kevin Jones vs. Cardinals at home.

135 yards/ 2 Touchdowns on 29 carries.
3 Catches for 43 yards

I always laugh when people try to predict things so exactly. To bet on 3 catches is reasonable. To bet on 2 touchdowns isn't outlandish. To bet on exactly 135 yards is bit amusing. To bet on exactly 43 yards receiving is worth a giggle. To bet on exactly 29 carries is little out there. To bet on all five occurring just as predicted during the same game is Richard Pryor-level funny. So-called fantasy experts get too bogged down with trying to predict things down to a T. Why not just say he'll get about 150 total yards and a couple scores?

That said, I think the Kevin Jones Bust will continue. Believe me--I know it hurts. I was victimized, too, but fortunately got rid of him early in the year when the Detroit receivers went through their annual injury-fest. He's very talented, but he simply doesn't have the skill players around him he needs to produce constistently on a high level. That's the reason he's a good back and not a great one. Barry Sanders was amazing with no one around him; KJ needs some help. If the receiving corps was healthy, he would've put up some good numbers thus far this season. The problem right now is that everyone and his grandmother knows the Lions are just going to run it. Having a Lions wideout and expecting him to be successful is like buying a pet alligator and expecting it to sprout wings--it just ain't happenin', folks. Until the "Big 3" get healthy, the line gets better, and Harrington gets a brain (no way Garcia stays around much longer), KJ will never be able to play up to his potential.
Carolina Panthers
Monday Morning Quarterback

Previous

Return to Football Talk