Return to Football Talk

Please FIRE Dennis Green

Moderator: Football Moderators

Please FIRE Dennis Green

Postby gatorman1122 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:30 pm

:-t :-t :-t :-t
Coach To Stick With Veteran
Read Full Article at http://www.azcentral.com

The Cardinals are electing to stick with Kurt Warner as their starting QB. When asked of Warner staying as the starter, Coach Dennis Green had the following to say.

"That's what we'd like to do,” Green said Wednesday. "I don't think any coach wants to change. If you're winning, people rarely change. If you're not winning, then sometimes you do change."

Green's comments are puzzling, as Kurt Warner is 0-4 this year as the starter; where as Josh McCown is 2-2.

http://www.xpertsports.com
Submitted on Nov 10, 6:45 pm
By Xpert Sports Correspondent rock753
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:10 pm

Dennis Green is a good coach. This is a weakass decision, but he is still a good coach.

And this is coming from a Packers fan.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:30 pm

Many things factor into a coaches decision other than the numbers.

Think about the pressure Denny is probably getting from the front office to make something happen with Warner... The Cards had McCown locked up coming into this season, but opted to spend big bucks on Warner to come in and lead the team.... Somebody in a suit made this decision... Someone who has serious egg on his face if Warner rides the pine all year while McCown gets the job done... I'm sure Denny is getting plenty of pressure from the decision makers to give Warner as many shots as possible... No one in the front office wants to spend big bucks on a free agent who rides the pine all year... As far as those guys are concerned, the Cards are likely not making the playoffs anyways, and they might as well get their money's worth out of Warner before they put him out to pasture next year... It's also not unreasonable to assume that they are playing for a draft pick at this point... Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney, and DeAngelo Williams will all likely be top 10 draft picks... It makes sense that the Cards might want a shot at one of them.... If McCown takes over and they go 7-9 and just miss the playoffs but end up with a mediocre draft pick, what good does it do them?

Something to think about....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ljthockey » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:36 pm

Yeah I cant see how you can bag Green on this call. He knows neither of these 2 are the QB of his team for the future. So I dont think it matter's who he plays now there not contenders.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:51 am

I'm think the suit decision is what's happening here. :-B

I assume they feel that if Warner does well somehow (and he has capable WR's to do it with) that another team will want to take him next year and give them something for him...even a 7th round draft is better than nothing.

I very seriously doubt that any team will do that, but I suppose that's why the Cardinals have been so bad for so long. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:50 am

denny green is a meathead. he hasn't been with the vikings for years and i still despise him. he doesn't do much, just huffs and puffs, and throws out completely non-sensical quotes along the lines of, "winning football teams are teams that score points. so we've looked at how to score more points and we have a system, and that's what we're going to do." it's like he shares a brain with dubya. and he's a terrible crony-guy... the reason he got himself fired from the vikes was he didn't want to fire his useless buddy, richard solomon. and, in an offseason with a terrible defense, his number one free-agent priority: mitch berger. the punter. because he was one of, "denny's boys."

he loves it when he's new and everyone loves him but as soon as the criticism starts coming, look out.

god, i despise that man.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:58 am

Well, Green has a history of being an idiot when it comes to QBs over there in the desert. Last year, the Cards were on a 3 game winning streak and he yanked McCown in favor of Shawn King. After losing 2 games with King, he yanked him in favor of the 3rd string QB (don't remember who it was). After another loss with the 3rd string, he stuffed McCown back in, and they won their next few games.

McCown is very good at "managing the game" which is what a lot of teams look for in a QB. He doesn't make very many mistakes and he can get the ball down the field to Fitz and Bouldin. Warner might have a strong arm, but he makes too many mistakes, stands in the pocket too long, and carelessly holds the ball with one hand (hense all his fumbles). Its really not McCown's fault their O-line sucks and their running game is nonexistant.

McCown might not be the QB of the future, but he's the better opitions for the Cards to win games NOW.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:45 am

His problems go beyound just the QB positon, which he screwed up last year as well. He tinkers with the O line on a consistent basis and cant seem to decide on who to stick with in the backfield. The only consistent thing about Green is that he's wildly inconsistent. In most any profession, including the NFL, this isnt a positive thing.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:26 pm

well, he's inconsistent in arizona because the team has been performing poorly so he creates motion (a) to make it looks like he's doing something; and (b) so that the blame can fall somewhere else. in minny he was very consistent: daunte, randy, cris carter, rober smith, and the aforementioned mitch berger... all, and a couple others, were considered "denny's guys" and would have a contract, would start, and were untouchable.

he was also consistent in taking all the credit whenever any existed and shelving off blame whenever possible.

randy moss: a talented, very physically gifted, but raw and known to be troubled player that denny spent a first round pick on... denny drafts, and then reminds everyone for the next 5+ years that he drafted him.

dimitrius underwood: a talented, very physically gifted, but raw and known to be troubled player that denny spent a first round pick on... denny drafts, and then says, "dimitrius who?"

did i mention that i despise the man?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby terpfan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:45 pm

Denny is a good coach, but this decision certainly is strange. When you are 2-6 you have to be thinking about the future, so an 0-4 record by the old man QB would seem like a perfect excuse to ge tthe young guy in there. not to mention, McCown has very simply out performed Warner this year.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk