WHY do people read, and not post? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WHY do people read, and not post?

Moderator: Football Moderators

WHY do people read, and not post?

Postby wickerkat » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:16 am

This has been bothering me all year. Why do people read a post, and not answer? It drives me CRAZY when only 10% of the people that read my post leave an opinion. It seems to be a universal problem as well. I have some theories:

1. Question is too difficult or long to bother with.
2. It has already been answered to their satisfaction.
3. Not enough info has been provided (ie, roster, matchups, scoring system, etc.)

Anybody have any theories or thoughts? I do know that some of my posts have been long winded and/or difficult, but hey, who doesn't want a challenge now and then? And I'd rather provide too much info then too little. Love to hear your opinions.

Good luck,
Wickerkat
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:22 am

A lot of the time the questions provide way too much information and I simply don't feel like reading it all.

If one question says, "Which WR to drop - Joe Schmoe or Frank Frankleton?" I can answer that (it's Frankleton).

However, some posts have three paragraphs on their league rules, who their opponent is starting, what their strategy is, what they ate for breakfast...I don't care.

Some people seem to expect people to waste a lot of time researching dudes for them and plugging crazy league rules. If it's a simple question, I can answer. I'm not going to do research for a guy that'll simply respond with a "tks...anyone else??????????????"
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SDChargerFan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:26 am

I answer questions that I feel I have some knowledge about or can make an informed decision on. I dont think it would be fair for me to give my thoughts on players that I really dont know much about.

I try to keep up on everything but I focus mostly on the teams and players affected by my own fantasy team(s) so when it comes to answering questions about #3 and #4 WR or backups etc...I elect not to respond so hopefully I dont give out bad advice (at least not too often).
SDChargerFan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Matthias » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:42 am

i would say, generally, it would be because of your second reason. if someone else has already voiced what i have to say, i won't generally chime in.

but then there's also the times where you're wondering about the same time of thing and so are reading it for your own information and not to provide your own feedback, necessarily.

and lastly, you have to think of it as: each person who writes a response most likely will view a thread multiple times (depending on the type... it's an add/drop/trade question maybe not, but a more general question, probably). and how many times have you checked in on this thread yourself without adding anything new, just to see what people's answer is? each time is a "viewing" of the thread without a corresponding response. just because you have 100 views of a thread but only 10 responses, that doesn't mean that only 10% of the people who looked at it wrote anything. probably more like 30% - 50%.
Last edited by Matthias on Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wickerkat » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:47 am

cool - great answers guys, i appreciate the insight
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby logan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:55 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:A lot of the time the questions provide way too much information and I simply don't feel like reading it all.

If one question says, "Which WR to drop - Joe Schmoe or Frank Frankleton?" I can answer that (it's Frankleton).

However, some posts have three paragraphs on their league rules, who their opponent is starting, what their strategy is, what they ate for breakfast...I don't care.

Some people seem to expect people to waste a lot of time researching dudes for them and plugging crazy league rules. If it's a simple question, I can answer. I'm not going to do research for a guy that'll simply respond with a "tks...anyone else??????????????"

I answer questions that I feel I have some knowledge about or can make an informed decision on. I dont think it would be fair for me to give my thoughts on players that I really dont know much about.

put both of these together and you have my reasons . there is no way to be able to see the thread before hand so we obviously need to open it up which is where you get people reading. if i have something constructive to add i will if not i don't.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Bowie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:58 am

I only post when I think I have something to add (i.e. have watched the player in question or recieved information about him from outside this site) or am bored.

How many people are refreshing this page over and over in order to create more views? It has over 650 already.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby wickerkat » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:02 am

that's insane BOWIE, really - why would 650 people look at THIS post? somebody playing with me? :-) LOL whatever - i don't think there are 300 people on this site right now

good luck all,
wickerkat
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:06 am

wickerkat wrote:that's insane BOWIE, really - why would 650 people look at THIS post? somebody playing with me? :-) LOL whatever - i don't think there are 300 people on this site right now

good luck all,
wickerkat

No, but the 15 people that did post are now curious as to what the new post says, so they open it to check it again, hence another view. If one guy checks each time one of fifteen posts, that guy alone has 16 views.

Personally, I think a more important question is, "Why do people post and not read?". This is much more irritating.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby octagon999 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:11 am

I think a lot of people may want to check out the post for a variety of reasons.

1. Just to check out the comment/question.
2. See what everyone else is saying about the subject.
3. Checking to see if they can help.

As to why they don't end up posting, I can only give you mine.

1. I don't know any more about the subject than you do.
2. Don't feel confident in the state of my knowledge on that subject.
3. Someone else has already given a definitive answer.
4. It would just be the 40th identical response to the same question.

Usually I'll open a topic because I have a similar dillemma as the OP.

I don't think anyone gets blown off on a regular basis, but also I don't think people want to just throw out answers that could end up hurting your season either.

Good luck and keep posting! :)
octagon999
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Football Talk