WHY do people read, and not post? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WHY do people read, and not post?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RyanK » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:33 pm

I first thought he meant when there about 50 views and one response or two to a post..
for that i would it happens because of lack of information and the author never responds back

I tend to read and not post because i dont feel i can provide adequate info on a topic and read it to try and get a better grasp of that topic

..people put too much into post count on these boards
RyanK
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby terpfan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:44 pm

One thing to keep in mind is people who have a similar question to the one asked in the post, and are just looking for advice of their own.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: WHY do people read, and not post?

Postby ampant » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:54 pm

wickerkat wrote:1. Question is too difficult or long to bother with.
2. It has already been answered to their satisfaction.
3. Not enough info has been provided (ie, roster, matchups, scoring system, etc.)

These are all valid reasons. Also, Sometimes you just are too lazy,or there are multiple questions, it is poorly worded, etc.

Guys try and spill out all the crap in their heads and give you fifty different options about different positions, or matchups three weeks in advance.

What I think is much worse though is when you get answers from guys who obviously don't know football. Every once in a while you'll get a kneejerk answer from a guy who is throwing something out based on a performance 2 years ago. I would rather not get answers from guys who haven't done their homework.

Basically, if I get a one word answer with no explanation, I basically throw it out unless it is from an experienced poster who's opinion I respect. Answers with a concise rationale are preferred.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby FatFoot » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:05 pm

It's not uncommon to have double the views, or more, than responses, even if everyone IS responding. There's one view when you read the thread, and depending on how you do it, there's another view on the thread after your browser hits it when you've responded.

Also, for people who have it set for e-mail notification, after their response, every time someone else responds and they check the thread, another view. Multiply this by a plentitude.

It's totally normal.

And sometimes someone makes a thread with a title that makes people read it... and the thread is a bag of suck, and readers are angry that they had to waste those precious seconds of life-span reading...
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:34 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:A lot of the time the questions provide way too much information and I simply don't feel like reading it all.

If one question says, "Which WR to drop - Joe Schmoe or Frank Frankleton?" I can answer that (it's Frankleton).

However, some posts have three paragraphs on their league rules, who their opponent is starting, what their strategy is, what they ate for breakfast...I don't care.

Some people seem to expect people to waste a lot of time researching dudes for them and plugging crazy league rules. If it's a simple question, I can answer. I'm not going to do research for a guy that'll simply respond with a "tks...anyone else??????????????"
for some reason or another, i do that, and dont get enough recognition for it...*sigh*
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:42 pm

I would generally say that anwers to your question will vary from forum to forum. In the start/sit or trade/keeper/waiver forums and maybe roster ratings you only get advice from people who:
a) know something about the topic
and b) have a legitimate opinion on the post

in football leftovers I think you get people not posting due to interest. The topics in this forum are most often not for advice, but speculation and comment on NFL news as well as general fantasy strategy and the like. If someone doesn't find the topic interesting... they don't post.

Injury/player updates is a whole nother story, as it has to do with people having information on the player/topic in question.

Hope that helps.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:48 pm

well I'm not reading all the comments in this thread. But, here is why I may read and not respond.
1. I actually didn't read it when I saw it was ridiculously long, I just hit the back button.
2. I read it and didn't have an opinion on the topic.
3. I hate you.
4. You're right it probably was already sufficently answered.
5. Not enough info to adequately answer, though in that case I'll usually ask what I'd like to see.
6. The poster asking for advice, just gives names and leaves out matchups and what positions etc.
* edited to add 7. To see how people responded to my post

I thought a poll would be the best way to get direct answers without anyone saying anything. That didn't work either. I got more looks and fewer responses. I don't get it either.

BrutallyHuge wrote:If one question says, "Which WR to drop - Joe Schmoe or Frank Frankleton?" I can answer that (it's Frankleton).

Now that's funny ;-D
Last edited by Redskins Win on Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:56 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:A lot of the time the questions provide way too much information and I simply don't feel like reading it all.

If one question says, "Which WR to drop - Joe Schmoe or Frank Frankleton?" I can answer that (it's Frankleton).

However, some posts have three paragraphs on their league rules, who their opponent is starting, what their strategy is, what they ate for breakfast...I don't care.

Some people seem to expect people to waste a lot of time researching dudes for them and plugging crazy league rules. If it's a simple question, I can answer. I'm not going to do research for a guy that'll simply respond with a "tks...anyone else??????????????"
for some reason or another, i do that, and dont get enough recognition for it...*sigh*

I dont know if your being serious or not and at the same time I'm not trying to be critical of you when I ask this: What kind of recognition are you looking for? I've seenmany posts where some make this type of statement along with "why dont people respond". If it makes you feel good that you're helping someone, by all means continue doing it. If not, what are your intentions?

This has got to be, by far, the best free FF site that I've ever come across. And frankly, I think its better than many pay sites that I've seen when it comes to getting correct, up to the minute info. Ultimately, FF and this site are for entertainment purposes. I dont know if some people have their mortgages riding on FF and expect a site like this to win them bundles of cash or what, but it seems that some people take FF and this site far too seriously and then get frustrated when they either dont get their questions answered by the amount of people they think they should or dont get the recognition they think they should for the reponses they give. Maybe I'm one of the few that has a life outside of FF and this site. BTW, something that seems to work great, and most already know this, is that by answering someone else's question and leaving a link to your question, generally illicits favorable responses.
....I'm now off of my soap box. Continue on with your regularly scheduled FF postings :)
Last edited by HskrPwr13 on Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wickerkat » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:58 pm

Redskins Win wrote:3. I hate you.

that explains it - FINALLY somebody said it out loud :-)

this post/thread has taken on a life of its own - i've never seen so many experienced posters speaking up - cool

i guess a lot of it is just the nature of the beast, but i will say that this is the best site out there for FFL advice

good luck,
wickerkat
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby footballchick23 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:10 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:If one question says, "Which WR to drop - Joe Schmoe or Frank Frankleton?" I can answer that (it's Frankleton).

Wait, I thought Frankleton was a game-time decision? If so, then you have to go with Schmoe...his match-up may not be that great, but he should get decent numbers this week.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk