FF STRATEGY -- How important is leverage? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

FF STRATEGY -- How important is leverage?

Moderator: Football Moderators

FF STRATEGY -- How important is leverage?

Postby mikefu » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:48 pm

How reluctant are you, if at all, to start two players from the same team?
I hate doing it, with few exceptions, and try to avoid at all costs.
Starting a QB and WR from the same team is asking for trouble. If they have an off day that's two big scoring positions letting you down.
Starting a RB and WR from the same team is also a problem for the same reason. If the team gets handled by their opponent (even if statistically they shouldn't --any given sunday--) then you'll get low scores from two regularly big scoring positions.

This was just something I've been playing with today as I try to adjust my roster to the loss of Holmes. Feel free to leave your thoughts about this or contribute or questions/advice/etc about FF strategy if you're interested.
mikefu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FatFoot » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:56 pm

But if they have a big day, it's doubly good. If they have a good matchup, isn't it ideal?

I really don't think it matters that much. I don't think there's any reason to be concerned, if the QB is not exceptionally injury prone. I don't feel like you're that much better off starting a QB from one team, and a WR from another, as just as often, they could both still have off days. And worse still, such avoidance would demand playing lesser matchups at times. Playing a QB against a tougher D or a WR against a superior secondary... these things are mistakes, when you have an all in one solution.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mikefu » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:59 pm

i hear your point, however, you can never know when a team is going to shit itself for a day. that being said, you're right that if they do well (ie playing manning and harrison last monday) then you're that much better off. maybe i analyze FF too much if i'm concerned with leverage ;) lol but it just seems smart to be safe if at all possible.

FYI i'm starting a RB and WR from the same team this week, so we'll see how i fare.
mikefu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:04 pm

"Right" or "wrong" is based on the situation. Until their injuries, I was riding Bulger and Holt and it worked out fantastically. Now would I say riding Boller and Heap would be a good idea? Probably not. Its relative based on who the players are and what the matchups are. Tell me this: On most weeks how well would you fair with a line up that looked like this:
QB Manning
RB James
RB Rhodes
WR Harrison
WR Wayne
TE Clark
Flex Stokley
K Vanderjagt
D Colts

I'm not going to do the research to find out exactly what each would've scored per week, but as you can see, in a standard 12-team league (maybe even 10-team), you could probably beat over half the teams in your league playing all from the same team. Obviously you wouldnt have this roster, but as you can see, with the right team/players it can be a huge boon.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mikefu » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:07 pm

hah great example, although its incredibly specific and hindsight is 20-20, but i understand what you mean.
mikefu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MrHokeyPokey » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:15 pm

Depends on who you're teaming up. For example in my league i'm currently in first place and i start carson palmer and chad johnson every week, the 2nd place teams starts delomme and s. smith every week.

It all just depends on who you have to team up. I personally try to draft QB, #1 receiver combos.
MrHokeyPokey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:16 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:"Right" or "wrong" is based on the situation. Until their injuries, I was riding Bulger and Holt and it worked out fantastically. Now would I say riding Boller and Heap would be a good idea? Probably not. Its relative based on who the players are and what the matchups are. Tell me this: On most weeks how well would you fair with a line up that looked like this:
QB Manning
RB James
RB Rhodes
WR Harrison
WR Wayne
TE Clark
Flex Stokley
K Vanderjagt
D Colts

I'm not going to do the research to find out exactly what each would've scored per week, but as you can see, in a standard 12-team league (maybe even 10-team), you could probably beat over half the teams in your league playing all from the same team. Obviously you wouldnt have this roster, but as you can see, with the right team/players it can be a huge boon.

Not bad but i think I would start wayne at flex and stokley ar WR spot :-B
What's a "boon"?
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby silverZ » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:24 pm

This is only my first year of fantasy football but i've never had a problem starting hasselbeck and SA. The way i see it is if one of them doesnt get the TD the other one will. It works great with the hawks/colts/rams...basicly any team with an unstoppable offence.Plus its more fun watching your two biggest players at the same time.
circa 2005
silverZ
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:24 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
Not bad but i think I would start wayne at flex and stokley ar WR spot :-B
What's a "boon"?

....www.dictionary.com :)
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LouisC9999 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:47 pm

One team in my league has Delhomme and Smith and is killing opponents (including me) with the 'double-dips' on a weekly basis. Those 20-points-on-one-play plays are devastating.
LouisC9999
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk