FF STRATEGY -- How important is leverage? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

FF STRATEGY -- How important is leverage?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby WeekSixteen » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:00 pm

I've been starting Tomlinson and Antonio Gates so far and its been sweeet ;-D
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:26 pm

Well, I have never been a fan of the QB/WR thing...although if you have a favorable matchup, I would definitely consider it. I will be considering it a lot in one of my leagues.

Bulger/Bruce or Hass/D-Jax near the end of the year could end up being huge plays with the competition they are facing. I have both combos on one team.

In general, though...if you have all the big superstars for one team and they have a good matchup, I would say play them all. I know JayM09 had McNabb/Westbrook/Owens on one team this year, and he cleaned up for the first several weeks of the season. Might be a different story now, though. :-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:11 pm

i am actually starting both Bobby Engram, Joe Jurevicous, and SA this week against St Louis. Besides the fact that they are my best options available my logic is that one of those two recievers will most likely have a good game against a week pass defense...im not really sure which one so im going to start both pretty much ensuring myself of one good reciever...
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jag29 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:46 pm

A better example than the colts would be the Giants.

QB Eli Manning
RB Tiki BArber
RB Brandon Jacobs
WR Plaxico Buress
WR Amani Toomer
TE Jeremy Shocky
K Jay Feely
Def/ST Giants
Flex Tim Carter

This team would probably win most games in a 12 team league. Barber gets the yard, Jacobs gets the TD's Plax and Amani get 4+ receptions a game usually for large gains, Shockey is one of the top TEs Feely is one of the top kickers and the Giants Def has performed great this year in fantasy leagues that award the most points for fumbles,sacks, and ints.
Jag29
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:38 am

it all depends on your risk tolerence. if you just need a "solid" week, then spreading your risk by starting guys from different teams is ideal. but you have to balance this with the talent drop-off you face by not starting your top guys. OTOH, if you need a big week to have any chance of succeeding, starting a QB/WR pair may not be such a bad plan.

that said, i haven't had much success with my same-team pair this year: T. Green/T. Gonzalez. >_<
George_Foreman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby toofunny » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:24 am

Jag29 wrote:A better example than the colts would be the Giants.

QB Eli Manning
RB Tiki BArber
RB Brandon Jacobs
WR Plaxico Buress
WR Amani Toomer
TE Jeremy Shocky
K Jay Feely
Def/ST Giants
Flex Tim Carter

This team would probably win most games in a 12 team league. Barber gets the yard, Jacobs gets the TD's Plax and Amani get 4+ receptions a game usually for large gains, Shockey is one of the top TEs Feely is one of the top kickers and the Giants Def has performed great this year in fantasy leagues that award the most points for fumbles,sacks, and ints.

Dude you're retarded. You'd get a max of 4 TDs. Probably 3. Normally I put up 6-10 TDs week in week out. Jacobs? Bahaha. Toomer? 2 WRs in a 12 man league? bahahaha
toofunny
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:34 am

Last year, I had Rod Smith, Ashley Lelie, and Reuben Droughns on the same team. I ended up doing pretty decently - basically, I always got 1 TD between the two WR's, and Droughns was just very solid. (Of course, trading for Peyton Manning in Week 2 probably didn't hurt.)

The first place team in my league (12 teams) this year (9-0, 3rd-most points) has Eli Manning, Tiki Barber, Jeremy Shockey, and the Giants Defense. (He originally drafted Brees as his starter, but he now starts Manning more often than not.)

With a team that consistently scores at least 3 TD's, I think it's fine to have multiple players.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 4_Favre » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:56 am

I have done this on a few occasions and had some good weeks and bad. this year I had a great week when I went with Brunell and S Moss vs 49ers, then when I redid it last week vs eagles, I got burned so it depends on the matchup, and your other starting options.

If I have to I will not hesitate to do it, I may even do it in the playoffs if I think it gives me the advantage.
4_Favre
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dave416 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:03 pm

I am 9-0 in one league with Housh, Chad and Palmer playing almost every week (although I am in trouble this week due to byes).

In my money league, I am 5-3 and due to injuries/byes, I am playing Jurevicius and Engram with SA and Josh Brown this week.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby aerodan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:59 pm

This maneuver can definately go both ways. I currently have Palmer and C. Johnson who start every week, and that combination is always excellent... However if you get too carried away it can destroy your team. One team in my league started out the year with Deuce, J. Horn and A. Brooks. Thru the first 3 weeks or so they were leading the league in points and in first points, and has since dropped wayyy down in the standings due to injuries, and inconsistency. I personally would say it is best to keep to 2 players from one team, otherwise one injury really destroys the whole team as it effects the play of any of the others...
aerodan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk